Quick! Help defending Pope Francis!

Hi there! Sorry my first post is in here, but I find myself in a pickle that I’m hoping to get some quick help with.
I’m friends with a sweet lady who LOVES Jesus and her non denom church and also thinks she knows everything about Catholicism because she went to a catholic grade school and watches a LOT of Daystar programming -__- anyhoo, we enjoy having spiritual discussions together but lately she has been taking every opportunity to WARN me that Pope Francis is the final pope who will be leading in the end times with the anti Christ etc etc and she’s supposed to be sending me some article showing where pope Francis just said we need to strive for New World order. I’ve obviously been keeping up with the pope’s talks and realize that the media is constantly misconstruing his words, I’m wondering if anyone has some quick links to great articles that debunk some of the ridiculous things being said and clarify the popes teaching, or some quick but wise words I can share with her to get her to see that all of her television evangelists are full of it?? She always catches me off guard with this nonsense and I’m always at a loss for “educated” words that won’t be offensive to her so I just tell her I’ll have to read and get back to her lol
Thank you so much in advance!!

Just tell her that you really don’t believe what she’s saying and reference the fact that we’re all taught that we will not know the day or the hour of the final reckoning, therefore how she can claim to know (or how the person/organisation telling her can know) is clearly a case of a deceit from the evil one - something she should be best avoiding.

There might not be anything she is willing to look at and listen too or read since she is deep into this garbage. She seems like she wants to harass you about being Catholic. While others may come up with some links, you might have to set some ground rules here. Tell her that you are not interested in her ideas, they are false and based on false prophesies such as the bogus St. Malachi Pope vision etc. I think that is where the people she is listening too are getting their ideas from that Pope Francis is the last Pope. You can search on CAF concerning St. Malachi prophecy or even google search it and then let her know that the Catholic Church considers this bogus and not approved. But I would try to make it clear to her that she can’t bother you about being Catholic with her ideas and materials.

The first thing to do is make her provide you with the evidence for her assertion about the Pope.

By the way, the title to this thread made me laugh. :smiley:

Edit:
That title is still making me laugh. :smiley:

Show her all the quotes from Francis encouraging everyone to love Jesus.

Then ask if that sounds like the kind of thing that the Anti-Christ would be teaching.

:thumbsup: it is hard to talk and have an intelligent conversation with people that have these kind of ignorant ideas!

Ask here where in her Bible does it refer to “New World Order” at all. That is yet one more term used by the apocalyptic doom-sayers since the time of St. Paul. It is currently popular, though it actually even appears on the money and is not really a new thing. The person saying these things, as all of us for the past few generations, are participants in the new order of the world, the advent of democracy and globalization.

This same sort of prediction will be disproved and only properly answered when the next pope is chosen. Unfortunately, an endless stream of wrong predictions will still not stop people from clinging to this fun and sensational hobby.

Thank you everyone! She sent me the article and thankfully it was an easy one to debunk…as it comes from a self proclaimed satire blog called DiversityChronicle…that has been proven as such all over Google. Unfortunately she, and many others apparently haven’t actually looked at the source of the blog enough to realize that yet :shrug:

I would tell this lady that if she values her friendship with you, she must stop bringing up the subject of the Pope or the Catholic Church.
On your part, nothing you can say or show such people will deter them from their belief in “the whore of Rome” and other such anti-Catholic drivel. You will never, ever be able to convert them. I know, I grew up in the Deep South, surrounded by so-called Fundamentalist Christians.
What I found interesting during my College years is that many many college graduates from State Schools in the Deep South remained in these sects and kept up with their primative anti-Catholic (and, to a certain degree, anti-semitic) beliefs.
Never forget, the KKK wasn’t just against negroes; they absolutely hated Catholics and Jews! Sort of equal opertunity bigotry.

:thumbsup:

Suggest that she listens to Our Lord and Saviour:
Jesus specifically entrusts Peter with His authority and confers infallibility with all four promises to Peter alone:
“You are Peter and on this rock I will build My Church.” (Mt 16:18)
“The gates of hell will not prevail against it.”(Mt 16:18)
“I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven." ( Mt 16:19)
“Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven.” (Mt 16:19) [Later to the Twelve].

Sole authority to Peter:
“Strengthen your brethren.” (Lk 22:32)
“Feed My sheep.”(Jn 21:17).

Already, Peter had exercised his supreme authority in the upper room before Pentecost to have Judas’ place filled. At the first Apostolic Council of Jerusalem Peter settled the heated discussion over circumcising the gentiles and “the whole assembly fell silent” (Acts 15:7-12). Paul made sure that his ministry to the gentiles was recognised by, Peter (Gal 1:I8).

That Church became known as the Catholic (universal/orthodox or faithful) Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.