QUICK! Need advice re: Hooters restaurants

My friends suggested we get take-out from Hooter's Restaurant which would be, on the one hand, good because I don't have to be in that type of environment with scantily-clad women around everywhere...call, go in, get food, leave. But would it be wrong to get food from them (even take-out) since it might constitute funding immorality?

Since you won't be sitting there having your meal, I don't see anything wrong with the take out. :shrug:

[quote="Kimothy80, post:2, topic:196316"]
Since you won't be sitting there having your meal, I don't see anything wrong with the take out. :shrug:

[/quote]

Wouldn't there still be an issue with funding them as an organization?

Okay it's fine that you don't want to "support" them but if you over-analyze every single thing about every single business, music, etc. you're missing out on a lot of things.

Have you had their food before? Did you like it?

[quote="Kimothy80, post:4, topic:196316"]

[/quote]

Yes. And yes.

[quote="LotusCarsLtd, post:5, topic:196316"]
Yes. And yes.

[/quote]

Then I think that answers your original question. Loosen up and enjoy the food! :D

its hooters, not a strip club. I think you are taking it to the extreme here. although it isnt the most tasteful environment, its not exactly a den of iniquity either. by your logic it would be immoral to by a movie that has women dressed immodestly because your money is supporting that immodesty.

Any business that treats other human beings as a piece of meat (in this case women) to be used, should not be financially supported in any way.

That’s why we don’t patronize their restaurant. Plus their wings really aren’t that good. I’d rather spend my money else where, where the wait staff wears more modest clothing.

St Paul told the Corinthians not to eat meat offered to idols, IF they were aware of it being offered to idols. Not because the meat was bad in and of itself, but because of the scandal involved. Someone said “well its Hooters not a strip club” but really the only difference is that Hooters requires clothes. The purpose of both is the same, which is to incite lust and cause men to objectify women. I would not support them with a dime of my money, take out or not. I do not even see how this can be a question in the mind of any of us who belong to Christ frankly. And that is not to condemn the posting, it is just to say that ANYTHING that weakens us, or causes others to see us as less connected to God, why would we ever wish to do it? If you were starving and there was no alternative, then that is one thing, but ordering take out for convenience? Not on your life!!!

Oddly enough you have answered another question by making this point. Why on earth would you buy or rent or even go see a movie where you knew there was nudity? I realize there are some nude scenes that are done as an integral part of the movie but even then you should think twice before renting such a movie. And I would actually call both “dens of iniquity”–I speak this to myself as well, no saint here, but trying to become one! Can you imagine Theresa of Avila or John Paul II going to Hooters or to probably 2/3 of the movies out today? I cannot. I rest my case.

[quote="Kimothy80, post:4, topic:196316"]
Okay it's fine that you don't want to "support" them but if you over-analyze every single thing about every single business, music, etc. you're missing out on a lot of things.

[/quote]

It is one thing to "overanalyze" and accidentally support businesses that have immorality behind the scenes, which most probably do on some level, but quite another when that business was started with the EXPRESS PURPOSE of helping men to sin, such as HOOTERS was and is. Garbage in, garbage out. If you fill your mind with Hooters, justifying it by "liking the food," then what really is the difference between that and the 1950s and 60s when Playboy was a new magazine and men claimed to their wives that they "read it for the articles?" We have to be careful not to become desensitized to the very real doors for evil that are around us and thus justify evil. Blessings.

Aren't hooters dressed like cheerleaders? If you're going to boycott them you also should forever give up watching sports games.

You live in Chicago, Center of the Food Universe, and you can’t do any better than Hooters?

For shame!

A zillion great places to eat up there–pick any one of them instead.

[quote="StephenFrancis, post:10, topic:196316"]
St Paul told the Corinthians not to eat meat offered to idols, IF they were aware of it being offered to idols.

[/quote]

To add:

He also said:
I Cor. 8:8 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.

and in 8:9 we read:
*But take heed lest by any means this liberty of your's become a stumblingblock to them that are weak. *

He told the Colossians.
Col 2:16 *Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: *

Therefore, there is nothing inherently immoral in eating the food from this place. There might be something imprudent about going into this place in that it causes those who see you there to think less of Christianity on the account of your witness. This may not be fair or right, but it is something that we should consider when weighing such choices. There was nothing inherently evil in eating meat offered to idols, but St. Paul did not think it worth the chance that it might prove a poor testimony to Christ.

[quote="StephenFrancis, post:11, topic:196316"]
Oddly enough you have answered another question by making this point. Why on earth would you buy or rent or even go see a movie where you knew there was nudity? I realize there are some nude scenes that are done as an integral part of the movie but even then you should think twice before renting such a movie. And I would actually call both "dens of iniquity"--I speak this to myself as well, no saint here, but trying to become one! Can you imagine Theresa of Avila or John Paul II going to Hooters or to probably 2/3 of the movies out today? I cannot. I rest my case.

[/quote]

Well the waitresses at hooters arent nude....

and i said immodest, not nude. So by your standard would it be immoral to rent a film where the female character wears a short skirt? women at the beach are dressed much more provocatively in bikinis than the waitresses at hooters by a longshot. So is it immoral to go to pay for the beach pass as well?

I cant envision JPII doing alot of things. I cant envision him playing video games either but that doesnt mean its immoral. im not saying i hang out at hooters, cuz i dont, nor do i have any intention to go to one, but i dont see it as immoral to buy their food.

[quote="StephenFrancis, post:10, topic:196316"]
St Paul told the Corinthians not to eat meat offered to idols, IF they were aware of it being offered to idols. Not because the meat was bad in and of itself, but because of the scandal involved. Someone said "well its Hooters not a strip club" but really the only difference is that Hooters requires clothes. The purpose of both is the same, which is to incite lust and cause men to objectify women. I would not support them with a dime of my money, take out or not. I do not even see how this can be a question in the mind of any of us who belong to Christ frankly. And that is not to condemn the posting, it is just to say that ANYTHING that weakens us, or causes others to see us as less connected to God, why would we ever wish to do it? If you were starving and there was no alternative, then that is one thing, but ordering take out for convenience? Not on your life!!!

[/quote]

Good post.

I ended-up going anyway after reading the first few posts on here. Didn’t even look at anyone other than the guys at the counter, etc. Kinda feel bad though after reading the rest of the posts here.

And frankly the food wasn’t all that bad. Needless to say I don’t think I’d go there again based on what everyone has said.

I’ve been to Hooters 2-3 times when I was younger (maybe 20ish). I don’t really like the concept of the restaurant at all. The food is good for comparable ‘bar food’. I don’t like how the establishment objectifies women, but I don’t think it is the end of the world if you go there. I personally don’t plan to go there and will try to convince my friends otherwise if they want to go. But all in all, there are worse things than Hooters.

This seems pretty extreme to me. What you are saying is that we should think twice about watching something like Schindler’s List.

That is a good point. They are pretty close to it. Not giving money to Hooters is equivalent to saying we shouldn’t pay to see sports events because cheerleaders are there and funded by the team. What about High school or college cheerleaders? If we nit pick everything in life that could be the slightest bit immoral, then there won’t be much left to do at all.

Hooters is a Sports Bar Restaurant... they're dressed similarly to cheerleaders. People go to Hooters to watch sports games on big-screen TVs, enjoy some food, and spend time with their friends. The fact that the waitresses are dressed scantily is rarely the "purpose" for going to Hooters. If someone were truly looking for "THAT", they wouldn't be going to Hooters, they'd be going to a strip-club.

Personally, I prefer the food at Winghouse (similar concept to Hooters)... my sister and I even go out to lunch there once in a blue moon (it's a bit of a drive)... I'm pretty sure OUR "purpose" isn't to look at scantily-clad girls. :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.