Quick poll on the Elevation of the Sacred Host

When the priest elevates the Sacred Host at Mass, is it elevated in order to display it to us or in order to offer it to God? What think ye?

Surely this isn’t a democratic thing? I would have assumed their was a clearly defined liturgical reason for it? Why is the question being posed?

To show it to the faithful. Both the old and the new rubrics at that point of the Mass indicate that. If you look at certain Western liturgies and Uses they elevate the Host* but not the Chalice and I think that shows that the elevation at that point is not as an act of offering . I think the act of offering comes at the minor elevation at the end of the Eucharistic Prayer: “Through Him…”.

• Host with capital H= Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ.

I was told once that the elevation is to show the Ascension of Our Lord into heaven.

I think, though I am not certain, that the reason the host is elevated is because in the old rite the priest kept his back to the people at that point in the mass, so he would elevate it so the people could see and therefore know when the consecration was taking place.

If I am wrong about that, please someone let me know.

I am simply trying to find out what folk think it is not what it should be :frowning:

Antoher thing occurred to me. In the old Papal Mass the elvations at that point were performed in a semicircle, so again I would chalk that to showing it to the people rather than an act of offering.

This is true to a degree, although the altar bell and the general knowledge of any informed Catholic would clue them in on the moment of consecration. If you will pardon my linguistic pickiness, it’s not that the priest had his back turned to the people, but rather that as leader of the prayer, he faced toward Christ in the same direction as the people. When a drum major leads a marching band, he doesn’t walk backwards to look at the band, but walks in the direction he wants the band to go, while directing them with a baton raised over his head. Likewise, the priest facing ad orientem leads the people in prayer.

Best analogy I’ve heard in quite a while. Hard to lead if you’re not facing the same direction.

The Host is elevated to display to the lay faithful. The pre-consecrated Host and Chalice are already elevated and offered to God during the offertory, just prior to the consecration.

I wasn’t being hostile and I’m very sorry if that was how it seemed. I am not an expert, but I just didn’t see why a poll was needed, given that the rubrics would have an answer. :slight_smile:

None of the above. Priest said “This is the Lamb of God” – people, we are not worthy, etc. This, as confirmed to me by a priest, that the sacrifice of the Mass has ended, the consecration has made the bread and wine to the Body and Blood of our Lord, and we proclaim that it is truly the Lord and we are not worthy to receive him.

The elevation of the Sacred Host and the Chalice immediately after the consecration in the Canon is for the faithful to adore the Sacred Host and the Prescious Blood.

"The ceremony in the Mass according to the Roman Rite wherein, immediately after the Consecration of the Host, the celebrant raises It high enough to be seen and adored by the congregation. The most ancient mention of the Elevation is found in the synodal statutes of Eudes de Sully, Bishop of Paris (1196-1208), who introduced this practise, to protest against the erroneous opinion that the change of the bread into the Body of Christ was complete only after the Consecration of the chalice. There is a like Elevation of the chalice, which is first mentioned in the Ordo Romanus XIV (1311), the papal ceremonial of Pope Clement V. A bell is rung at each Elevation to call the attention of the faithful. Pius X granted an indulgence of seven years and seven quarantines (40 days) to all who look with piety, faith, and love upon the elevated Species. "

The elevation for the offering of the Divine Victim to the Trinity comes with the “Per ip sum”. In the Tridentine Mass the priest makes the sign of the cross with the Sacred Host over the chalice and the altar stone containing the relics of a saint while he prays the “Per ipsum” and then lifting the chalice and Host only a few inches off the altar towards heaven while saying, “omnis honor, et gloria.”

The notes in my missal say: “The priest finishes the Canon. He takes the Host and the Chalice and lifts them up heavenwards.” “The Body and Blood of our Lord are lifted up and offered in Sacrifice as He is the only true and Divine Victim.”

So the sacrificial elevation comes with the Per Ipsum, not when the priest elevates the Host and chalice the first time.

Ken

Edit: See the post above me? That is the correct answer. Here is the dummy version that I wrote before I read that.

During the concecration, the Host is elevated so that the faithful may adore it.

When it is elevated a second time during the minor elevation (The “Through Him, with Him, in Him”… part) the sacrifice is being offered to God.

From 'Mass Confusion" by Jimmy Akin

After the consecration - No specific amount of elevation is mandated at this point. What is mandated is that the consecrated elements be shown to the faithful for their adoration. Failure to elevate them is not a liturgical abuse.

Elevation of the sacred species is mandated, however at the Per Ipsum (Final Doxology)

He (the priest) takes the chalice and the paten with the host and, lifting them up, sings or says:
Through him, with him, in him, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, all glory and honor is yours, almighty Father, forever and ever.
The people respond: Amen.

If a deacon is present, he assists the priest by holding the chalice during the Per Ipsum

during the agnus dei our priest does not elevate the host but holds up the paten? full of hosts and the precious blood and says, "this is the lamb … Very sad at this “catholic community”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.