Quick question about The Catechism of the Catholic Church

You are looking at the Index of footnotes, which collects all the footnotes and lists them as endnotes.
Footnote #48 of this article is attached to “the sacraments confer the grace that they signify.”

DS refers to Denzinger, a compilation of Church documents. This shows where the Church taught the idea that was footnoted:

1605 Dz 848 Can. 5. If anyone shall say that these sacraments have been instituted for the nourishing of faith alone: let him be anathema.

1606 Dz 849 Can. 6. If anyone shall say that the sacraments of the New Law do not contain the grace which they signify, or that they do not confer that grace on those who do not place an obstacle in the way, as-though they were only outward signs of grace or justice, received through faith, and certain marks of the Christian profession by which the faithful among men are distinguished from the unbelievers: let him be anathema.

I think @BartholomewB was talking about an index in the print copies that does not appear with the online copy. I am pretty sure he did not mean this index of footnotes.

We Catholics believe in The Bible, Tradition and the Magisterium (Vatican) equally. We do not believe that the entire deposit of faith is in the Bible. Some of it wad Passed down through tradition, while other truths were given by the Pope. None of these three contradict each other. The Catechism is teaches the doctrines, dogmas and historical information about the Church. I went through the Catechism (which means “teaching”) in RCIA 12 years ago before I converted to Catholicism. I also read the Bible almost daily and follow the teachings of the Magisterium. Ours is a rich, beautiful faith that is validated by the Bible, the Vatican and the Catechism. I hope this answered your question.

Thank you, @Dovekin. Yes, that is exactly what I meant!

What question?

Found it… Catechism Index :slight_smile:

Thank God anything eventually can be found on-line.

Congratulations on your discovery! Thank you for the link. Now I will be able to make more use of the online CCC, instead of my print copy.

1 Like

About whether or not Catholics regard the Catechism as equal with the Bible.

? I didn’t ask that question. Or any other question. Perhaps you have confused my post with others on the thread.

1 Like

Thank you and you are welcome.

and thank to those on this thread I understand how to use the Catechism, learned that every church as a Catechism (found the Lutheran one) and that so far… some of things I read about the Catholic church is not much different from what is in the Lutheran church. (sad the 2 church are still separated, when some of their teachings are so similar.)

God Bless those in charge. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You probably remember this, three years ago. The Pope attended a Lutheran gathering in Lund, Sweden, to commemorate the Protestant Reformation.

ehhh… well, 3 years ago… I wasn’t exactly in any church or do much of anything other then “Yea God, I love you, you love me, we’ll talk when I get up there.”

1 Like

Wow, I’m sorry. Must have confused you with another.

1 Like

Although I’m not Catholic and have been known to make mistakes (just ask my wife), I think of the Catechism as kind of like an owner’s manual of the Catholic faith where the faith is explained in more detail in light of the Bible and the Tradition of the Church.

At least that is the feeling I get when I view it from time to time. I’m impressed by it and find it to be a helpful and insightful in understanding Catholicism.

God Bless you and thank you for the link… I started watching the video on the signing of the Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification how that was a very interesting major milestone.

Maybe one day people will stop looking at me like I have 2 heads when I say I attend a Lutheran and a Catholic service ever Sunday.

thanks again. :slight_smile:

From what I understood, the doctrine specifically hasn’t changed, just an understanding of it removes the condemnation of the Lutheran understanding, so the Catechism about Justification should not change… right?

1 Like

Yes, I think so too.

1 Like

I don’t speak simply… :smiley: I’m pleased with the answers I’ve given.

That’s cool… its just hard to pin-point an answer with what you posted… but its cool. :slight_smile:

And Not just that… it’s spot on! :smiley:

Not really, not for what I’m trying to understand as to the Catholic’s definition to the what is the core of the Catholic faith… but other’s explained in a way that gave me an idea of what it is.

this part
(1) to bring the light of Christ to all men, a light brightly visible on the countenance of the Church. sounds like the Church is man…

this part…
(2) He planned to assemble in the holy Church all those who would believe in Christ. Already from the beginning of the world the foreshadowing of the Church took place. sounds like the Church is God.

this part…
(3) All men are called to this union with Christ, who is the light of the world, from whom we go forth, through whom we live, and toward whom our whole life strains. this sound like the Church is a unity of God and man.

I only took a line from each paragraph, cause that is what showed how I understood each paragraph… but basically #1 is man, #2 is God and #3 is God and man united… is the Church.

So… What do you think you’ve learned from others?

Did you happen to notice when I’d said - Jesus is the Head of THE CHURCH?

And also - when I’d said - I’ve often also said - Jesus is the Core. ?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.