Quick questions

I just had two quick questions concerning liturgical practices:

First, I have noticed that at the Consecration, some priests will genuflect and some will bow deeply. Are both of these acceptable?

Second, I know many priests who profess the homily from the ambo. But some will profess the homily at the alter or in front of the alter, directly in front of the congregation. Is this acceptable.

Thanks a lot

John

I think some priests can’t genuflect easily, for any number of reasons, and that is why they bow. As far as where they preach from goes, I’m not sure. Since I am hard of hearing, I rely a lot on body language and lip reading etc. I’d prefer everyone preach from the pulpit/ambo place. Someone else is asking a very similar questing about their deacon and his preaching style now. Hope this helps a little.

[quote=Walburga]I think some priests can’t genuflect easily, for any number of reasons, and that is why they bow.
[/quote]

That is likely a common case. Another possibility is that the priest is a Trappist, celebrating in their rite, which calls for profound bows instead of genuflections at the consecration.

tee

[quote=KarrollKid04]I just had two quick questions concerning liturgical practices:

First, I have noticed that at the Consecration, some priests will genuflect and some will bow deeply. Are both of these acceptable?

Second, I know many priests who profess the homily from the ambo. But some will profess the homily at the alter or in front of the alter, directly in front of the congregation. Is this acceptable.

Thanks a lot

John
[/quote]

A celebrant who cannot genuflect due to physical limitations should bow from the waist after the consecration of each element.

The altar is not the proper place for the Liturgy of the Word. Running up and down the aisles is not either.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.