Quick Rosary question

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to pray the Rosary soon, but I just had a quick question on how (I looked up the basics, but I still have one question).

When one prays the Rosary, does one have to say all the decades or can I say just 1 or what?

So to complete 1 Mystery, do I have to say all the decades, or just 1?

Sorry, I'm not good at this :confused::o

Also, are the 15 Promises approved by the Church or what? They sound really good (almost too good to be true), but I don't want to be doing anything not approved by the Vatican.

Thanks for the help,
coolduude:cool:

When one prays the Rosary, does one have to say all the decades or can I say just 1 or what?

The average rosary beads has five decades on it, so must say five decades at time, which would be a complete set of mysteries. It takes about fifteen minutes.

I can see your concern. Saying five decades for each mystery would be a lot. One decade is one mystery.

Also, are the 15 Promises approved by the Church or what? They sound really good (almost too good to be true), but I don’t want to be doing anything not approved by the Vatican.

The Vatican loves the Rosary. You don’t have to worry about that.

This site can help you out if you get confused about what to say on each bead.
ourcatholicfaith.org/onlinerosary.html
It also comes with pictures and chants. Always fun. And Latin if you want.

Hi cooldude :tiphat:

Wow! God bless on your prayers with Mary! And we forum people will try to answer your questions to the best of our availability. :thumbsup:

As JS Cortez said, it is customary to say five decades (one mystery per decade) when praying the Rosary. However, it is not uncommon to space all 15 or 20 mysteries (depends on whether you want to include the optional Luminous Mysteries or not) in a week: for 20 mysteries, three mysteries per day for six days and two mysteries on the last day; for 15 mysteries, two mysteries per day for six days and three mysteries on the last day.

Uhm as JS Cortez earlier said, one mystery, one decade.

A good guide for praying the Rosary and additional information can be found from the Confraternity of the Holy Rosary website. Also, you can hear how the Rosary is typically prayed in the Rosary Army website (check the English Scriptural Rosary another time when you are familiar with the Rosary already :thumbsup:)

Yep! They really are legitimate promises.

You’re welcome :smiley:

[quote="coolduude, post:1, topic:178332"]
Hi everyone,

I'm starting to pray the Rosary soon, but I just had a quick question on how (I looked up the basics, but I still have one question).

Sorry, I'm not good at this :confused::o

Also, are the 15 Promises approved by the Church or what? They sound really good (almost too good to be true), but I don't want to be doing anything not approved by the Vatican.

Thanks for the help,
coolduude:cool:

[/quote]

Please bear in mind that although the Rosary is recommended (I pray it) it is a private prayer and not compulsory. The other posters have given you the suggested ways of praying the Rosary but you can pray as little or as much of it as you want.

I know this must be a dumb question considering your answser here, but since I don’t know what a mass for the Immaculate Conception is like and it is coming up soon, Would you as a catholic have to pray the Rosary that day? I am guessing it is optional but viewed as beneficial. I know I could never pray the whole thing.

[quote="StrawberryJam, post:5, topic:178332"]
I know this must be a dumb question considering your answser here, but since I don't know what a mass for the Immaculate Conception is like and it is coming up soon, Would you as a catholic have to pray the Rosary that day? I am guessing it is optional but viewed as beneficial. I know I could never pray the whole thing.

[/quote]

Praying the Rosary is never compulsory no matter what feast day or holy day of obligation comes up. It is solely a private devotion.
However, having said that, the Rosary is a powerful prayer and I recommend it anyway, daily.

Try and say as many as you can, I try to do 5 daily if I can do it. I would also recommend taking a look at your schedule, and seeing if you can find a good couple of hours where you have time to say all 20. It’s such a wonderfully beautiful experience! Take some time before hand to out which Bible readings you want to go with which mystery. You actually have a whole great lot of choice with many of the mysteries.

[quote="thistle, post:6, topic:178332"]
Praying the Rosary is never compulsory no matter what feast day or holy day of obligation comes up. It is solely a private devotion.
However, having said that, the Rosary is a powerful prayer and I recommend it anyway, daily.

[/quote]

Not true, the rosary could be assigned your Penance after your confession (it has been to me). In this case it's compulsory.

Well, you can still pray one mystery/decade at a time, as I outlined here

[quote="crazzeto, post:8, topic:178332"]
Not true, the rosary could be assigned your Penance after your confession (it has been to me). In this case it's compulsory.

[/quote]

Penance from Confession could apply to anything. We are not talking about Confession.

We are talking about prayer in normal daily life, feast days and holy days of obligation. The Rosary is a private devotion and is not mandatory.

I'm confused now. I will take this to mean that one can ignore what the priest proscribes for penance in confession, if it is not mandatory. Would this be correct?

What a priest proscribes for penance is mandatory. If he says do the rosary, its mandatory. If he says, divine chaplet, its mandatory.

The rosary, in of itself, being said without being proscribed for penance is not mandatory. But Mary would really like it if you prayed it.

Hi :slight_smile:

you say 1 decade for 1 mystery, and there are 5 mysteries for 1 Rosary.

and yes, the 15 promises are approved :slight_smile: it’s not like magic though, it’s trusting in Mary’s powerful intercession for us :thumbsup:

you might be interested in this book:
catholictradition.org/Classics/secret-rosary.htm

(btw, this book was written before there were 4 sets of Mysteries. Back then, there were 3. And people generally prayed them all at once.)

no…we must do the penance the priest gives. Outside of the penance, the Rosary is optional. But if it’s given as a penance, it must be done for the absolution to be valid.

God bless

[quote="Monica4316, post:13, topic:178332"]
Hi :)

you say 1 decade for 1 mystery, and there are 5 mysteries for 1 Rosary.

and yes, the 15 promises are approved :) it's not like magic though, it's trusting in Mary's powerful intercession for us :thumbsup:

you might be interested in this book:
catholictradition.org/Classics/secret-rosary.htm

(btw, this book was written before there were 4 sets of Mysteries. Back then, there were 3. And people generally prayed them all at once.)

no..we must do the penance the priest gives. Outside of the penance, the Rosary is optional. But if it's given as a penance, it must be done for the absolution to be valid.

God bless

[/quote]

Thank you Monica.

I can't understand how the Rosary can be called an optional devotion if it can be required as you say, in confession.

Is it possible, that in confession a penitant can proclaim they do not believe this optional devotion, and would like another penance? Or not?

If they dont believe in the Rosary, maybe the priest would ask them why, because that would imply they’re doubting Mary’s intercession or other Church teachings… when it says that the Rosary is optional, it just means that if a person is not praying the Rosary, but fulfilling the other obligations, they’re still a faithful Catholic. But since the Rosary is a powerful prayer, this person might be missing out on graces. But if a person has serious issues with the Rosary, it’s best to get them resolved cause they probably deal with some doctrines (for example, on Mary.)

hope that helps :slight_smile:

[quote="StrawberryJam, post:14, topic:178332"]

I can't understand how the Rosary can be called an optional devotion if it can be required as you say, in confession.

[/quote]

Devotion and Penance from confession are two different things.

Rosary is a private devotion; therefore, a Catholic does not have to pray the rosary in his daily prayer. He can pray with his own words, or pray any other written prayers of his own choice.

But if rosary is required by the priest in Confession as the penance, one must fulfill the requirement. Penance from confession is given, not by our choice.

Hope this helps.

Update:

I've been praying the Rosary every day now so I think it might close to two weeks :) :)

I've been praying for some grace, but I haven't really noticed too too much of a difference, so I want to take up a Novena for extra graces to help me (like always, if details are needed I will be happy to provide; just ask! :thumbsup:)

So how do pray a Novena? Does it have anything to do with the Rosary? I tried looking it up for myself online but I couldn't find a good response.

Coolduude:cool:

Bump :p

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.