Quick what verse is it?

Okay I am on the Hannity forum and the call no man father came up:rolleyes: Which verse did St.Paul describe himself as our father in Jesus and us spiritual children???Hurry:eek: Any back up verses welcome.

Paul said, “For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel.” (1 Cor 4:15)

Paul said, “I appeal to you for my child, Onesimus, whose father I have become in my imprisonment.” (Philemon 1:10)

Try 1 Cor 4:14-15 i’m pretty sure thats what you are looking for. Maybe someone will beat me to it. :thumbsup:

Thanks you guys:) :thumbsup:

[quote=Lisa4Catholics]Okay I am on the Hannity forum and the call no man father came up:rolleyes: Which verse did St.Paul describe himself as our father in Jesus and us spiritual children???Hurry:eek: Any back up verses welcome.
[/quote]

You might want to bookmark this:

geocities.com/thecatholicconvert/biblecheatsheet.html

Okay,guys anybody want to help me out here?

hannity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287
gundam_blade http://www.hannity.com/forum/images/statusicon/user_online.gif vbmenu_register(“postmenu_441069”, true);
Hannitized

http://www.hannity.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: Alright, Catholics… I have a bone to pick.
Children who are adopted do not have real fathers, but the person taking care of them, training them, teaching them right things are called fathers. This is what Paul was doing. Christ’s admonition is referring to someone who solely relies on another man as his authority for spiritual matters, calling them Master, Rabbi, Father. Paul was as a big brother, helping those in need. He never claimed to be THE authority or THE father,originator of spiritual blessings. Referring to John Paul II as THE HOLY FATHER is blasphemous. God is the only Holy Father.

[quote=Lisa4Catholics]Okay,guys anybody want to help me out here?

gundam_blade http://www.hannity.com/forum/images/statusicon/user_online.gif vbmenu_register(“postmenu_441069”, true);
Hannitized

http://www.hannity.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: Alright, Catholics… I have a bone to pick.
Children who are adopted do not have real fathers, but the person taking care of them, training them, teaching them right things are called fathers. This is what Paul was doing. Christ’s admonition is referring to someone who solely relies on another man as his authority for spiritual matters, calling them Master, Rabbi, Father. Paul was as a big brother, helping those in need. He never claimed to be THE authority or THE father,originator of spiritual blessings. Referring to John Paul II as THE HOLY FATHER is blasphemous. God is the only Holy Father.
[/quote]

Catholics agree that God is THE authority. The Church gets her authority from God. Catholics don’t think the Holy Father on earth is God, just as St. Paul did not think he or Father Abraham was God. We are fathers and we are holy in a subordinate sense, just as when we are creative we create in a sense subordinate to the one Creator.

[quote=Lisa4Catholics]He never claimed to be THE authority or THE father,originator of spiritual blessings.
[/quote]

Nor does any Catholic claim this.

Referring to John Paul II as THE HOLY FATHER is blasphemous. God is the only Holy Father.

Ok…this one is easy. When the term “Holy Father” is used in reference to the Pope, it has an entirely different definition than God the “Holy Father.”

If I don’t intend it to be idolatrous, then it isn’t, simple as that. No divinity is attributed to the pope whatsoever, therefore, no matter what phrase is used to refer to him, it is not blasphemous.

Thats the thing about these arguments that revolve around single word titles, if your definition is different than what they claim it to mean…the whole argument falls flat.

[quote=Lisa4Catholics]Okay,guys anybody want to help me out here?

Hannitized

[/quote]

That’s a ridiculous claim. The first verse he sites from Matt says that Jesus was admonishing the Pharisees (not the general public) for holding their authority over the people and using that authority to place themselves in places of prominence within the community. They believed that theirs was the final word and not God. They did not give God His due. They were abusing their God given authority and not giving all praise to God.

Paul was claiming to be a spiritual father - not the originator of spiritual blessings! A spiritual father guides and councels his “children” in the faith. This is also what the Pope is charged with doing. To lead and teach, councel and guide his flock - the one Jesus asked Peter to feed and tend and who the current Pope Benedict is the successor. As such he is called Holy Father in the sense that he is Vicar of Christ - Christ’s representative on earth (just like Peter), protector of the truth. We do not believe that the Pope is God.

Thanks you guys,to me it is crazy that people equate our term for the Pope as God:eek:

[quote=Lisa4Catholics]Okay I am on the Hannity forum and the call no man father came up:rolleyes: Which verse did St.Paul describe himself as our father in Jesus and us spiritual children???Hurry:eek: Any back up verses welcome.
[/quote]

Q: What’s the difference between a Catholic and a Protestant?

A: Protestants know the numbers.

It’s amazing. First they tell us, “CALL NO MAN FATHER” and you Catholics call your priests father, and the Pope Father blah blah blah. Then they get confronted with this verse, 1 Cor 4:14, and then say, “But Jesus meant blah blah blah.”

Anyway his argument is also flawed. Why? Because St. Stephen in Acts 7:2 addressed as Fathers the VERY SAME PEOPLE Jesus condemned! According to our friends’ literal interpretation and the “defense” just posted, Stephen is in direct disobedience of Jesus’ commands. St. Paul also addressed the mob in a similar manner in Acts 22:1, and this bunch were even less deserving of the address than the Sanhedrin.

Shall we now strike St. Stephen (and St. Paul) off the roster of saints?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.