Quieting the Anxious thoughts

Good evening, and thank you for the thoughts and inspirations.

I find myself lately struggling with anxiety. First of all, I already take medication for anxiety, but I am pregnant and can’t safely raise my dosage right now. When I talk with my mother, her suggestion is to pray and turn it over to God. I try, but I can’t seem to stop. Whatever the problem is at the moment, it’s like it begins to consume me, and my mind starts racing, and my heart starts racing, and I can’t shut off. Sometimes I can’t sleep! I feel like I’m failing as a Catholic in the most basic tenants of the Faith and not able to simply trust God will take care of everything.

For example, I’ve been having problems with my eye for over a month. First it started as a constant twitch that wouldn’t go away. Sometime this past week it’s turned into a physical pain and pressure on that eye. I’ve seen medical doctors and my eye doctor and they have assured me they’re is nothing wrong physically, but tonight I have been consumed with worries that this “nothing” could be something. What if it’s a tumor? What if it’s cancer? What if it is cancer and I can’t get treatment because I’m pregnant? What if I die because I can’t get treatment? What will happen to my kids? My husband? Would my husband be able to love this baby if it killed me?

This is awful and I need it to stop. I know in my head that it’s all ridiculous, but I just. Can’t. Stop. Worrying. I don’t know what else to do, or what to try. I’ve been desperately praying for weeks over these dumb anxious moments, but I still can’t seem to let it go or move on. How do I move on? Where can I find the strength and courage within our Faith to simply LET THIS ALL GO? How do I simply trust and move on? I need help.

Congrats on your pregnancy. I had similar situation recently. Fractured vertebra in my back and I’m young and doctors were like “you have bones of old person” and said I may have bone cancer. I was worried sick. What helped? Praying obviously. But even more? I realized I was worrying a lot because I had lots of idle time. So I filled up my calendar. Every hour of every day I was either at work, trying help someone in need, running errands, so best solution is don’t give our fear idle time to grow . My fear plummeted. By keeping ourselves busy we starve our fear of oxygen. I’ll keep you in my prayers.

2 Likes

1 Corinthians 10:13 says: “No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it”.

Hebrews 4:15 says “For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin

If God will bring you to it, He will bring you through it. I think you ought to memorize 1 Corinthians 10:13 and Hebrews 4:15. Before you go to sleep every night, make sure that you thank God for all that He has blessed you with. He gives us more than we could ever give back. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am envious of all of you who can talk to your Priests. We have a missionary Priest where I am, and while I could go in to talk with him, he had only been with our parish a week. He doesn’t know me, he doesn’t know my situation, and he doesn’t know anything of the area resources. It feels awkward talking to him because he it’s a total stranger.

I already do speak to a counselor, and I already all taking medication for the anxiety, but they aren’t enough. I dread the idea that I could be stuck in this cycle of stress and anxiety until next year when the baby comes. But I simply do not know how to make it stop. Nothing seems to help!

Thanks so much, really appreciate it! God Bless you.

2 Likes

Fr Phillipe’s book “Searching For and Maintaining Peace” literally saved my life. It is a small book, I will gift you a copy of it if you want to message me.

2 Likes

Thanks for this words and verses ,I really needed them today , and in spite of this , at times , things seem so blick.
One of the hardest things for me is that at times it seems to me ,my own family (extended) , has given up hope in me , I won’t go into details here but is like I feel no matter what I do, it always lead me to something wasn’t God’s will in the first place ,
And on top of that , ( and that’s why I am very thankful for this forum) , it is very tricky ( in not outright impossible), to find someone to rely unto, maybe out of mistrust, bias, whatever the reason may be, and even fall outs at time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.