Quizz forms a question on the ole pea brain !

Ok so we are doing quizzes on another thread, and Ive asked before about the Eucharist, Communion and discovered definations. Here is the question from the quizz that can be found on the quizz thread, (hope thats enough promo).

1. What is the correct belief concerning the Lord’s Supper/communion/the Eucharist?

A) The bread and wine are actually changed in substance to Christ’s body and blood, so that they are no more bread and wine in essence, but exclusively the body and blood of our Lord.

B) The bread and wine are changed so that they become one in substance with Christ’s body and blood, that their essence is changed into the body and blood without losing their natural properties.

C) The bread and wine remain only bread and wine in substance, but by partaking them, faithful believers receive Christ’s physical body and blood through the power of the Spirit.

D) The bread and wine remain only bread and wine in substance, and are not means of grace, but are simply a sign of what they represent and a memorial of Christ’s sacrifice.

OK - B, trying really hard to think through A (have read all the scriptures, thats not it, I read them and agree, so its not helping. I am just trying to describe what I feel about this whole thing and this B is the closest I have found to a description.

cant agree with C and D too vague.

Thoughts? :shrug:

Dearest Kitty Chan,

Before answering, may I humbly ask you a question?

Have you ever been to a Mass?

yes, a fair number of times with my best friend, she and I would go to each other churches to support each other.

Ive been enough to know some basics, I did take the wafer one time, (friend said it was ok, Lily on the boards here I think said it actually wasnt but ok because I didnt know)

Seriously I have a hang up on this issue somehow, and Im trying to figure where it came from. In that I take the whole thing quite seriously. Maybe my old pastor at the Baptist church was odd and explained things different and he explained it “B”. Maybe it was C and I “heard B”. Or perhaps Im mixing up things I heard at the Catholic church which is A. I was not brought up in a church, so there is no tradition in this Kitty.

So when the Lord says eat and drink unworthy I take Him serious. The few times I have had communion, it was a huge decision and only when I was sure I was “prepared” and when I do, I am thinking of blood and body literal so somewhere Im not getting along with some in the protestant “tradition”.

confused enough? :slight_smile: Thats why when I saw B something clicked again.

A and B. B says everything A says, but specifies further that the appearances of bread and wine remain.

A is the Catholic belief, and B is the Lutheran belief.

Not confused.
Go to Mass by yourself.
PM me if you want to.
Be alone.
Dont go with anyone.

You wont be alone.

Even if you doubt it, (and I dont think you do mind you)

You must do this one on one.

YOU and HIM

Face to face.

Not a challenge, just a thought

Or prayer, whatever.

You know I will be with you in spirit. Just let me know when you will go.

I will make a point to dedicate my prayer time to your stay at Mass, just say the word. I will be there.

I don’t think so.

B) The bread and wine are changed so that they become one in substance with Christ’s body and blood, that their essence is changed into the body and blood without losing their natural properties.

The Lutheran belief, if I understand it correctly, is that there are two substances-a bread/wine substance and a Jesus substance. If by “natural properties” this statement means “bread/wine substance” then yes, this is the Lutheran belief. If it means “appearances of bread and wine” which is how I interpreted it (though it is certainly vague enough go either way) then it is the Catholic belief.

Hellis; Im hearing you, I know what you mean.

Theres a part of me that is skeptical (I know atheists say christians cant be) not skeptical about Christ, or even it being His literal body and blood. Why is there a difference between ABCD?

Each makes sense to its respective groups, and I can see them all making sense depending on perspective. (Mind you D is weak)

I will think on it, its only been recently the topic came off the shelf for me. :slight_smile: thanks

ps if anyone wants to “redo” the quizz definations for accuracy, feel free, its just a starting point. :slight_smile:

It seemed to me that A referred to transubstantiation and B referred to consubstantiation, but you are right, the explanations in the quiz are somewhat vague. I picked A as the answer.

so Lak what exactly is the differerence?? :confused:

Here is an article about transubstantiation. Here is an article about consubstantiation.

thanks lak, I get it sorta, theres alot to digest, and I dont know the history of whos who, it tends to get beyond me. Maybe I will try some surfing later, gotta go shopping tonite the coffee maker broke so all is lost at my home office here :smiley: :rolleyes:

did Lewis ever actually speak about this, that anyone knows, he tends to put things so I understand them. TTFN

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.