Quote from Pope Benedict

Thought I would pass along a quote from Pope Benedict.

"Hence arose the monstrous errors of “Modernism,” which [Pope St. Pius X] rightly declared to be “the synthesis of all heresies,” and solemnly condemned. We hereby renew that condemnation in all its fullness, Venerable Brethren, and as the plague is not yet entirely stamped out, but lurks here and there in hidden places, We exhort all to be carefully on their guard against any contagion of the evil, to which we may apply the words Job used in other circumstances: “It is a fire that devoureth even to destruction, and rooteth up all things that spring” (Job 31:12).

“Nor do We merely desire that Catholics should shrink from the errors of Modernism, but also from the tendencies or what is called the spirit of Modernism. Those who are infected by that spirit develop a keen dislike for all that savors of antiquity and become eager searchers after novelties in everything: in the way in which they carry out religious functions, in the ruling of Catholic institutions, and even in private exercises of piety. Therefore it is Our will that the law of our forefathers should still be held sacred: “Let there be no innovation; keep to what has been handed down.” In matters of faith that must be inviolably adhered to as the law;”.

I don’t think he’s saying that the only hymns acceptable for Mass have to be written before a certain date, or anything like that. I think he’s talking about, especially in the US, “modernism” that is seen in actual changing in tradition. There are priests that hold retreats with Buddhist monks, melding the two in the name of ecumenism. There are priests who change the wording of the liturgy to be “all inclusive”, instead of how it was written. Those are the sort of thing he’s warning against. Anyone agree with me?

[quote=bookgirl]I don’t think he’s saying that the only hymns acceptable for Mass have to be written before a certain date, or anything like that. I think he’s talking about, especially in the US, “modernism” that is seen in actual changing in tradition. There are priests that hold retreats with Buddhist monks, melding the two in the name of ecumenism. There are priests who change the wording of the liturgy to be “all inclusive”, instead of how it was written. Those are the sort of thing he’s warning against. Anyone agree with me?
[/quote]

I agree.

Where is that quote from?

Do you have a link to these remarks? :slight_smile:

[quote=Genesis315]Where is that quote from?
[/quote]

As the saying goes, “great minds think alike!” :thumbsup:

That quote is from Benedict XV not Benedict XVI, by the way.

It’s from the encyclical, Ad Beatissimi Apostolorum.

I just looked it up.

[quote=savone]As the saying goes, “great minds think alike!” :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Hehehe yes :smiley: . Here’s a link:
papalencyclicals.net/Ben15/b15adbea.htm

[quote=Genesis315]Hehehe yes :smiley: . Here’s a link:
papalencyclicals.net/Ben15/b15adbea.htm
[/quote]

Thanks … :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.