Quotes from saints on Protestantism

Does anyone have some quotes from the saints discussing Protestants? I’ve looked and looked but have yet to find anything…:confused:

I don’t suppose you will.

You don’t get to heaven by finger-pointing, I don’t think. :wink:

Writing and preaching about salvation and doing the will of God is another thing entirely.
But those words apply to everyone.

When St. Teresa of Avila had visions of hell, she said she saw a lot of Lutherans who had abandoned the Catholic faith.

You’d do well to read up on the English Martyrs. Most of them are wonderfully to-the-point when discussing Henry’s new church.
I’d give you a quote but I’m short on time. Check Sts. Edmund Gennings or Richard Gwynn out.

I think you might find some in the writings of Cardinal Bellarmine.

My brother told me that St. Therese of Avila said, “Hell is the place where Lutherans go.”

Hard to understand what purpose such would serve.

You might want to look at St. Ignatius of Loyola. The Jesuits started as an order around the time the Reformation began, so he might have something on the “Reformers”.

:rotfl:

St. Alphonsus Liguori spoke about Calvinism and Lutheranism many times in his “History of the Heresies and their Refutation” and elsewhere.

St. John Paul II anyone?

(Letter to the American Lutheran Church, 1985):

“Our commitment is always to Christ, and for this reason we must always strive for unity with one another in Christ. We do this through prayer, dialogue, and collaboration. When I visited the Lutheran church in Rome in December 1983, I said that “I have come because in these days the Spirit of God has urged us, through the ecumenical dialogue, to the quest for the full unity among Christians”. I feel that the same motivation has led you here today. We live in an extraordinary time of grace. A time in which the Spirit is transforming the old hostilities of the past into new patterns of reconciliation so that the prayer of Christ for the unity of his followers (Cfr. Io. 17) may be fulfilled. It is the task of all of us to pray and work so that Christians everywhere will be responsive to the grace of the Spirit leading them to unity.”

w2.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/en/speeches/1985/april/documents/hf_jp-ii_spe_19850429_luterani-americani.html

(Joint Statement with the Archbishop of Canterbury 1982)

“Together with leaders of other Christian Churches and Communities we have listened to the Word of God; together we have recalled our one baptism and renewed the promises then made; together we have acknowledged the witness given by those whose faith has led them to surrender the precious gift of life itself in the service of others, both in the past and in modern times.”

vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/angl-comm-docs/rc_pc_chrstuni_doc_19820529_jp-ii-runcie_en.html

And, of course, the 1995 encyclical, Ut Unum Sint:

“The relationships which the members of the Catholic Church have established with other Christians since the Council have enabled us to discover what God is bringing about in the members of other Churches and Ecclesial Communities. This direct contact, at a variety of levels, with pastors and with the members of these Communities has made us aware of the witness which other Christians bear to God and to Christ. A vast new field has thus opened up for the whole ecumenical experience, which at the same time is the great challenge of our time. Is not the twentieth century a time of great witness, which extends “even to the shedding of blood”? And does not this witness also involve the various Churches and Ecclesial Communities which take their name from Christ, Crucified and Risen?”

w2.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_25051995_ut-unum-sint.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.