Quoting Tertullian in Catholic Wedding Program

I’m getting married and have been looking for a good Catholic quote about marriage that we can put on things like the wedding website, programs, wedding favors, etc. I found a really beautiful one from Tertullian, but I’m a little leery of using it since he’s not a Church Father and left the Church to join the Montanists. Would it be inappropriate to use his quote (below) in association with a Catholic wedding?

“How beautiful, then, the marriage of two Christians, two who are one in hope, one in desire, one in the way of life they follow, one in the religion they practice." - Tertullian

Yes

The Catechism of the Catholic Church quotes him :slight_smile: as has Pope Benedict XVI and Pope Francis in their encyclicals.

Now of course if there is some reason – like it would lead someone at the wedding to to think–thats a great quote and then go look into it and say --oh look at Tertullian – he did such and such–and cause a problem for someone…that can be a good reason not to quote him–a circumstance may make something better left undone (you know who you invited etc)

Tis a judgement call.

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/audiences/2007/documents/hf_ben-xvi_aud_20070530_en.html

In anycase --even if not used – let the quote remain for you two – a quote from an early Christian on marriage --to live day after day in the years to come :slight_smile:

I see him being quoted a lot, also. And I have the same misgivings about quoting him, especially to non-Catholics.

Tertullian is a very respected source. Indeed he is sometimes even considered a Church Father in spite his later heresy and his not being considered a saint.

It’s not always black-and-white. Because someone strayed later in life does not automatically invalidate the good stuff earlier in life.

Go for it.

Might I also be so bold as to suggest a reading:
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

9 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labor.
10 For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up.
11 Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone?
12 And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

I don’t think this is about marriage.

Funny, after 30 years of marriage I think it’s more about real life marriage than a lot of the other more marriage specific readings.

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.