R.I.P. Dan Fogelberg

Are there any Dan Fogelberg fans here and does anybody know if he’s Catholic?

Thanks,
Little Mary

[quote=Little Mary]Are there any Dan Fogelberg fans here and does anybody know if he’s Catholic?
[/quote]

Never cared for his music too much. As to his religion, his official site doesn’t mention the Catholic Church, but it does throw in vague references to “church” as well as what sounds like New Age hooey.

In unrelated news, Fogelberg canceled his 2004 tour due to advanced prostate cancer.

– Mark L. Chance.

[quote=Little Mary]Are there any Dan Fogelberg fans here and does anybody know if he’s Catholic?

Thanks,
Little Mary
[/quote]

I absolutely adored Dan Fogelberg in the 70s. Didn’t like his later stuff except for The Innocent Age . And as I progressed in my faith journey, I realized that I didn’t like his ethics. Many years ago (20? 25?) he had a vasectomy because he didn’t want to bring children into “this world” (whatever that means). So he has himself neutered like a dog? :rolleyes: It really changed my opinion of him. He’s also been married 2 or 3 times. I kinda doubt that he is Catholic.

Don’t know if he is Catholic, but I like his music.

Peace

Tim

[quote=Detroit Sue]I absolutely adored Dan Fogelberg in the 70s. Didn’t like his later stuff except for The Innocent Age . And as I progressed in my faith journey, I realized that I didn’t like his ethics. Many years ago (20? 25?) he had a vasectomy because he didn’t want to bring children into “this world” (whatever that means). So he has himself neutered like a dog? :rolleyes: It really changed my opinion of him. He’s also been married 2 or 3 times. I kinda doubt that he is Catholic.
[/quote]

Sadly disappointed to hear about the vasectomy thing. I really like his music though.

Thanks
LM

I watched him play on PBS’s Soundstage about a month ago.

He admitted he was a huge mess back then, complicated with alcoholism.

Now he’s clean and sober-- sounds like he loves his wife dearly, and praises God for his life now, and his survival thru the bad times.

So AA has at least opened his eyes and heart to God.

Peace.

The most romantic night I ever spent was with a guy (who was just a friend) who put on Dan Fogelberg’s Twin Sons of Different Mothers album and we took turns reading from Anne Morrow Lindbergh’s Gift From The Sea. He was Mormon and I was Catholic and there was no bridging the distance despite my efforts. A few years later, after he was long gone from my life, Fogelberg’s Longer song charted and I thought of that guy every time the song played because it was so sensitive and so him. I hope he’s found peace in God and I hope he has a miracle with his illness.

"Longer than there’ve been fishes in the ocean
Higher than any bird ever flew
Longer than there’ve been stars up in the heavens
I’ve been in love with you.

Stronger than any mountain cathedral
Truer than any tree ever grew
Deeper than any forest primeval
I am in love with you.

I’ll bring fires in the winters
You’ll send showers in the springs
We’ll fly through the falls and summers
With love on our wings.

Through the years as the fire starts to mellow
Burning lines in the book of our lives
Though the binding cracks and the pages start to yellow
I’ll be in love with you.

Longer than there’ve been fishes in the ocean
Higher than any bird ever flew
Longer than there’ve been stars up in the heavens
I’ve been in love with you
I am in love with you."

Dan Fogelberg

Thanks,
Little Mary
[/quote]

Leader of the Band is a good song. Other than that I am not a big fan.

I don’t know if he is Catholic.

I just saw this on Yahoo! news, and was very saddened. Not sure if there are any other fans here, but I know that he’ll be missed.

Sam, the Neon Orange Knight

:frowning:

Saw him in concert in the early eighties, & have played my recorder along with much of his music since the seventies…

God rest his soul.

a very good artist
he will be missed.

Indeed; may God bless his soul and grant him His love and mercy.

I am truly saddened by the news of Dan Fogelberg’s death. I am an admirer of his music, which was, in large part, the soundtrack to my life when I was in my late teens/early twenties. As Dan was growing musically, and in popularity, I was growing as a young man.

In those days, I often looked to his music for more than just entertainment purposes. At times I still do.

Loved him. Very sad.

I think of myself as one of his biggest fans. As another poster said, I listened to his music at times for much more than entertainment purposes. My affinity for his work runs deep indeed.

I visited his website regularly for new of his health. He has always been a very private person when it comes to the media and his life, so I was floored this morning when I learned of his death.

I knew he had been diagnosed with cancer, but after the initial treatment and recovery from that, I read of his travels with his wife and his joy in getting a good report from the doctor.

I had no idea he had taken a turn for the worse.

I am listening to his Christmas album right now. In it, he says that this has always been his favorite time of year.

RIP Dan. You are loved and missed. :frowning:

Thought you might be interested in this

prostatecancerfoundation.org/danfogelberg

You can get more information at danfogelberg.com

Aren’t there any more DF fans here than this??:o :frowning:

:frowning: May he rest in peace.

Loved him very much! You are right about his songs being a soundtrack to life for us baby boomers in the 70s and 80s.

Thank you for the good times, Dan. You will be remembered fondly by us your fans.

R.I.P. :crying:

Big fan here. Loved Dan Fogelberg and wore out a few albulms. :slight_smile: I recently got “Home Free” on CD to listen in the car and I couldn’t believe how the emotions of my youth came back.

May he rest in peace.

Speaking of a “soundtrack to life” - ever listed to The Innocent Age" beginning to end? :crying:

I still can’t believe he’s gone. Everytime I’m reminded of it it’s like another blow to the gut.:frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.