Rabbi Sacks Worries Europe is Losing Its Judeo-Christian "Soul."

Speaking with regret about how Europe is losing its religious soul, the chief rabbi of the UK, during a visit to Pope Benedict, said Jews and Christians should have a united front against secularism and materialism. And now Europeans are becoming dissatisfied with them. In fact, also wishing Jews and Christians to work together against persecution, he said, he spoke out just last week against the Middle East persecution of Christians, in the British House of Lords, of which he is a member.
see www.ewtnnews.com/catholic-news/Vatican.php?id=4554

I agree with this article about the failure of secularism, but I don’t think it’s confined just to europe.

It’s difficult to imagine how a person who’s 60 years old and in a common-law relationship with no children can feel satisfied with his/her life. A lot of baby boomers are hitting the age now where the false idols that they gave their lives to: work, money, physical appearance are starting to crash down around them. Let’s pray that Jesus can catch these folks and lead them back to His church…:gopray:

Some Europeans are dissastisfied with the governments not being able to deliver the goods while cutting competitiveness and productivity. Apparently because places like Marxist China are producing the goods and Europeans are no longer making much of anything. So there’s less benefits, less chances for jobs, education is not paying off, and so on. I don’t know if it’s a spiritual vacuum people are upset about, but if they are, kudos to them.

The further you go back in time, the worse Europe was. If anything, it’s in its better years right now

That can be said for anything…except for the Middle East, the further you go back in time…the better it was.

What does ut profit a man to gain the whole wolrd, but to lose his soul?

Europe is in its worst years now, as it is giving up its culture.

Europe used to have culture, high music, art, the church, chivalry, literature,

What does Europe have now?

Those of us who live here, and prowl about the continent on the odd days, can assure you that culture, high music, art, the Church, chivalry, literature are intact. Come and visit some time.

Europe of the past also had huge social inequalities, food shortages, huge unemployment in the population, horrific treatment of minority groups including the Jews, homosexuals, the mentally ill and also women, xenophobia and imperialism, coupled with a horrific destruction of native cultures to impose upon them the ‘correct’ Western culture.

Such culture as you mention was largely dominated by the rich upper class minority, or the Church, both of which had the money and resources to commission artistic works such as musical pieces or artworks, and who could afford the education which allowed them to study Classical literature, design buildings and grand gardens, publish literature or put on grand shows and exhibitions.

Do you know of a culture which did not have social inequalities, food shortages, huge unemployment (not sure what that means considering mass employment emerged in the industrial age - roughly 200 odd years), horrific treatment of minority groups, homosexuals, mentally ill, women, xenophobia, imperialism, coupled with horrific … etc?

This is common to all cultures. It’s human nature.

Such culture as you mention was largely dominated by the rich upper class minority, or the Church, both of which had the money and resources to commission artistic works such as musical pieces or artworks, and who could afford the education which allowed them to study Classical literature, design buildings and grand gardens, publish literature or put on grand shows and exhibitions.

Sure and that Church and that aristocracy led to the development of art and science. If Europe was left to the old pagan tribes, we’d still be hunter-gatherers.

I can’t say if Spain was eager to go along with the rest on that one though.

Problem is that the Church and other Christian cultures have practically enforced this as a rule.

IN England, the Church had control over all education. Only boys from the richest families could afford the fees to send their children to school, and even then all education was done in Latin, which wasn’t even understood outside of clergy and the upper classes.

Church-ordained anti-Semitism is another point. The Jewish people throughout history were deemed ‘God-killers’ and treated with incredible distrust and even cruelty.
Similarly, other cultures such as the Aztecs were doomed (despite their technological advances) because the (Catholic) Cortes and his men were so narrow-minded, they weren’t interested in the advanced culture that existed there, with its writing system, advanced maths, science and engineering feats, the grand buildings and impressive artworks…no, they were only interested in the fact that these people didn’t worship the CHRISTIAN God.

And the less said about the role of women in Christian cultures through the ages, the better. They faced the risk of being married at a young age to men their families chose (no love there) and whom they met probably only a handful of times before being married for life, if at all, before a life which consisted of no education, being locked up in houses and risking their lives to give birth. If they were lucky enough to survive that, they faced the risk of being deemed a ‘witch’ and put to death by ecclesiastical courts.
A handful escaped this by being educated or by pure luck, but the majority were little better off than slaves.

Sure and that Church and that aristocracy led to the development of art and science. If Europe was left to the old pagan tribes, we’d still be hunter-gatherers.

What total rubbish. Before the early Church book-burnings, ‘pagan’ science was incredibly advanced.

The ancient Egyptians had advanced forms of writing (hieroglyphics), mathematics (including geometry, calculus and even something approaching algebra), science (which included agricultural sciences, engineering, biology, some knowledge of chemistry, astronomy and medicine). In addition to this it was Egyptian culture which saw the first

The ancient Greeks were renowned for their knowledge and skills too. It was a Greek mathmatician who proposed a number of numerical theories which are in use today, Pythagoras, as well as there being Hero’s steam engine, Aristotle’s theories of psychology and physics, Herophilus’ works on medicine, Asclepius’ works on medicine and surgery, Plato’s theories of metaphysics, Euclid’s mathematics along with the number of Greek cultural icons who still influence us today- Euripides, Homer, Aristophanes, Aeschylus, Sopocles, Herodotus, Thucydides etc.

Add to this the influences of Greek art and architecture on our own and then the later advances of the Romans including the many classical Roman poets, and you cannot exactly argue that supposed ‘pagan’ culture wasn’t refined or high culture.

Kouyate, here’s a link on the history of education in England which puts into an orderly slot all of your claims as stated above.
educationengland.org.uk/history/chapter01.html#01

The Aztecs practiced HUMAN SACRIFICE! Their technological advancements were nice, but the Aztecs had to be dealt with. The Aztecs were sacrificing their own people, and going to the other tribes of Mexico and taking prisoner and sacrificing people from surrounding tribes.

Why would anyone ever defend the Aztecs? They weren’t some benevolent society that was destroyed by the “evil” europeans, they were a civilization that was built on atrocity. I feel no regret that the Aztec civilization was ended. Explain why the Indian tribes fought on the side of Cortes, and not on the side of the Aztecs. The peaceful Indians hated the Aztecs, because the Aztec empire was evil, oppressive and committed atrocities against all of their people.

That is why when Catholicism came to the New World, those people were saved from those horrid practices. Not that they weren’t oppressed, but sometimes someone has to intervene and end horrible cultural practices. It was the British that got the Indians (from India) to end the practice of Sati (wife setting herself on fire upon becoming a widow).

Stop with these cliches about “evil” christians, and those “horrid” middle ages

Welfare, leisure, and vacations in Spain for all.

And debt:(

Both sides are human. While you have a point with the Aztecs, I can for vouch for my own country that Spain was… well, let’s just say I don’t believe it deserves any refined words to describe its rule here.

I’d wager Ghandhi might say the same about the British.

Look the truth is people have a nasty habit of elevating one culture over the other when the term equality goes all ways. No culture was morally better than any previous one, just as there really is no human more morally perfect than the other.

Most likely would have been conquered by advancing Islamic armies.

Sometimes God uses sinners to carry out his plan, the Assyrians were a brutal people and God used them to punish the tribes of Israel for disobedience to him. Human sacrifice is a crime that cries out for justice, enter the Spanish. Not all were good people, but history tells us the Aztecs were overthrown. The Europeans had the true faith and their culture was less barbarous than that of some of the tribes that they overthrew. Now there is a point that the Spanish did not stop with the Aztecs (and started to oppress the other tribes, as well), but Central and South America are what they are today because of the Spanish, Catholic. The Spanish took the Aztecs and Inca (also human sacrificers) from power, and the Virgin Mary converted the Indians of Mexico to Catholicism.

I would say that the Americans did no better with their Indians, and I can speak from the country of my parents (Colombia) that people there are generally successful or hopeful and poor, but Catholicism covers every aspect of society. Good came from bad, and I have no grudge against my Spanish ancestors. Millions of souls were saved.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.