Rabbis, Politicians Snared in FBI Sting

Rabbis, Politicians Snared in FBI Sting
Corruption Probe Brings 44 Arrests In N.J. and N.Y.

By Keith B. Richburg
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, July 24, 2009

NEW YORK, July 23 – A two-year federal probe into a money laundering operation taking place between the New York area and Israel ballooned into one of the biggest bribery and corruption sweeps in New Jersey history, netting three northern New Jersey mayors, two members of the New Jersey Legislature, a raft of local officials, five rabbis, and a Brooklyn man accused of trafficking in human kidneys, U.S. prosecutors said today.

FBI agents arrested 44 people in a series of morning raids, creating a dramatic scene of politicians and rabbis in traditional outfits handcuffed and being marched into the federal building in Newark, and then boarded onto a bus for the drive to the federal courthouse. Among those arrested were legislators L. Harvey Smith (D) and Daniel M. Van Pelt ®; Hoboken Mayor Peter J. Cammarano III; Secaucus Mayor Dennis Elwell; and Ridgefield Mayor Anthony Suarez, as well as the deputy mayor and council president of Jersey City. The arrested rabbis included Saul Kassin, the chief rabbi for the tight-knit Syrian Jewish community in the United States, and the chief rabbis of synagogues in Brooklyn and Deal, N.J.

A Brooklyn man, Levy-Izhak Rosenbaum, known in his circles as “the kidney salesman,” was also arrested as part of the sweep and charged with enticing vulnerable people in Israel to sell one of their kidneys for $10,000, and then charging waiting transplant patients in this country up to $160,000. He admitted brokering kidney sales for a decade, federal prosecutors said in the complaint.

LINK: washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/23/AR2009072301449.html?hpid=sec-nation

Although New Jersey, having a reputation of corruption among officials, this is just one more tell tale sign of the looming corruption among this country’s leaders.:frowning: Call me cynical, but I believe this is just the tip of the iceberg. These men just happened to get caught. We’ll see what happens in the legal process, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if there are a lot more to go down. It seems to be “business as usual” with these people. With government and religious leaders like these, who needs the mafia?:rolleyes: It is beyond sad, however, that men of God are acting like crime bosses. That’s the real kicker.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8165607.stm

Oh it will get worse, believe me. I live in NJ and even one of the local officials in my area also got mixed up with the bribery scandal. And you are right on point about government leaders and religious leaders behavior in this scandal giving the mafia a run for their money.

i saw a video clip today of the accused being led into a building. i haven’t really followed what they are accused of, but this is pretty bad if mayors and rabbis are arrested. those of you who have followed this, will have to make sure to keep us updated. they all had shocked looks on their faces like they looked like they knew they were in big trouble.

I have heard more than once that prominent public officials that get caught up in corruption think they are above the law. They think they’re more or less “invincible”.:rolleyes:

They don’t think they have to follow the same laws as the rest of us.:rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.