Race-based death sentence rejected at US Supreme Court [CNA]

You seem to want to continue talking about the Catholic Church’s views on abortion while the Catholic Church also considers torture to be an intrinsic evil. Yet the majority of white Catholics voted for a man with an “R” next to his name who believes torture works.

But now back to the topic if you can stay focused on it. To answer your question, the Republican Party goes beyond CCC by condemning the erosion of capital punishment. While the Catholic Church seems to support erosion, if not total abolishment, when CCC calls for its use in only very rare if not nonexistent conditions.

Hope that helps.

If you don’t like where your political points lead, don’t bring them up. If you want to contrast Republicans and Democrats, expect and accept that people will frame the argument appropriately. You may argue the Republicans are wrong on life issues, but the Democrats have even less.

It was your comparison. And now you double down with torture. Again, perspective is in order here. If you persist in the line that Republicans are bad people, that makes the alternative an absolute monsters.

I suggest you drop the political line of attack here insofar as Republican vs Democrat. There’s no comparison in number or degree. If you want to condemn both, go for it. I’ll be right beside you. But your posts indicate otherwise.

To answer your question, the Republican Party goes beyond CCC by condemning the erosion of capital punishment. While the Catholic Church seems to support erosion, if not total abolishment, when CCC calls for its use in only very rare if not nonexistent conditions.

That’s not that platform says. It says (emphasis mine):
With the murder rate soaring in our great cities, we condemn the Supreme Court’s erosion of the right of the people to enact capital punishment in their states.

Now, where is it “condemning the erosion of capital punishment”?

You stopped your bolding too soon.

Reading comprehension must be an art not a skill.

What is the platform talking about with respect to erosion? The “right of the people”. It’s about the erosion of state’s rights. The argument is that this is not a federal question, but a state question. Which is perfectly consistent with the concept of subsidiarity, another Catholic principle.

Wanna try again?

Sure for the final time with you.

A. Condemns the erosion of the right of states to play God and kill human persons.

B. Abolish capital punishment.

C (as in Catholic). Use capital punishment in only very rare cases if at all.

Now if you want keep to thinking A is closer to C than B, be my guest. Some people might be interested in some beachfront property in Nebraska too. Bye. :wave:

Which is not the same thing you stated earlier.

Further, the Church recognizes as a right of the state. If that’s playing God, then you’ll have to condemn the Church for recognizing that. It is consistent with Church teaching that the state has the right, and the platform recognizes that right.

It’s not about one being closer than the other. That was never my argument. The argument is that the Republican party does not want to kill people, nor do they think capital punishment is a good thing. Despite your efforts to characterize it as such. Rather, it is about recognizing the right the states have. And you seem to be conflating the Church recognized right to exercise capital punishment and the desire to utilize it.

Let’s be honest with ourselves here. 80% of Americans vote based on abortion and guns.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.