Race of Jesus & Our Blessed Mother

So, often we see Our Lord and Blessed Mother as caucasin. Does it matter? Did it matter to Our Lord and Blessed Mother?

*Note: The websites and video are not mine.

Race of Jesus

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_of_Jesus

Race of Jesus (video)

youtube.com/watch?v=L0uVpWxWzLg

Christian Art/African

mattstone.blogs.com/photos/aboriginal_icons/va.html

mattstone.blogs.com/photos/aboriginal_icons/index.html

Chinese style of Our Lady and Jesus

travel.webshots.com/photo/1346561027069626228IDhUkE

I often ponder that the reason Jesus didn’t come in today’s world of mass media is because He would immediately be stereotyped as this or that or the other. The fact that we do not know exactly what He looked like is unifying!

I believe that we picture Christ the way we picture ourselves. If we are white, then we picture HIm as white. Many years ago I lived in Panama and at first I was surprised to see that the Christ on the cross in the church I attended was black. Most of the people who lived there were black so it does make sense that He was also seen as black. Whether He is white, black, brown, or something else doesn’t matter. He is still Jesus Christ, the Son of God and our Savior.

Hmmm? :confused: Unless I’m delusional, the bible has a physical description of Christ. He was dark skinned. Also, it’s pretty clear we know the place of his birth. It’s in the middle east. So, How could we assume anything other than he probably looked just like most people appear today that are from that region. Furthermore, the earliest iconography of Christ depicted him as dark skinned and with short hair. I would assume that shouldn’t bother anyone. Is it so hard to accept a dark skinned savior?

At the end of the day, I don’t think it matters much what his particular physical appearance may or may not have been. And, I guess if it makes you feel better to think of Christ as looking like yourself, physically, it doesn’t affect me at all.

Also, my poor understanding of science leads me to believe that “race” does not exist. We are all God’s children and brothers and sisters in Christ.

Just so we’re clear, I’m not accusing anyone of anything so don’t draw any infrences that are not in this post.

Peace be with you.

I remember watching this on the Discovery Channel

“New face of Jesus” it’s an older article:

archives.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/12/25/face.jesus/index.html

I know this is an aside, but I saw on either Discovery or History that ALL the human race began in one place: Africa by the Nile! They traced the genetics from all over the world and ended up there. I agree. Doesn’t matter what race Jesus was on earth. He, like us are all races because we all genetically came from one.

Yeah, I heard something similar. That there is definite, scientific DNA proof… that ALL of us, whatever our race… are descendants of one man and one woman (aka Adam and Eve).

Our Lord and Our Lady were on earth, at a certain time in history… in a certain geographical region of the world… the middle east. In human terms, they were of Jewish descent. But I also feel, that their human “ethnicity”… makes no difference. We are all children of the same God. This has been apparent in several apparitions, especially of Our Lady.

Here are some examples. When Our Lady appeared to St. Juan Diego (Our Lady of Guadalupe) she appeared with the features and dress of an Aztec Indian. When she appeared to St. Bernadette, she spoke the regional dialect (I believe it was called Patois).

So it seems perfectly logical that the “race” of Our Lord and Our Lady, isn’t too relevant! Thanks for letting me add my :twocents:

God bless. :slight_smile:

mattstone.blogs.com/photos/aboriginal_icons/va.html

That picture of Mary and the baby (African) was actually quite beautiful.
But either way, this is becoming idolatry…

The Bible has no physical description of Jesus.

…I’m not being funny or anything but it is only the sun that makes your skin go dark. Skin darkens due to a chemical build up caused by sun radiation. So anyway, it means nothing. Skin colour does not come with a personality attribute.

I wondered about that too. Like now I reason that they change appearance to speak to the different races and ethnicities on earth. Like Mary appeared to Rwandans as Our Lady of Kibeho as an African American woman. Jesus and Mary are Japanese in Our Lady of Akita. While they were on earth they were purely Jewish. Salvation comes from the Jews. Its insanely ironic how the people of God are persecuted because salvation came from them… But yeah since their in Heaven and have God’s power with them, I’m sure they can change appearance for the sake of their loving message.

You don’t get my point. When I say that the bible has no physical description of Jesus that includes skin colour. It does not say he was dark skinned. You are mistaken about that.
We don’t know his height, or his looks, or if he had a beard or not, or what the colour of his skin was.
There is absolutely no physical description of Jesus in the Bible.

Well, as it turns out, I was at least a little bit delusional. However, to say that the bible has absolutely no description of Christ is also not quite accurate. I found subsequent to my somewhat embarrasing post another thread asking about the length of Christs hair. I made the same basic assertion. I was challenged, so i decided to do some research. This is what I found.

"Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden girdle round His breast; His head and His hair were white as white wool, white as snow; His eyes were like a flame of fire, His feet were like burnished bronze, refined as in a furnace, and His voice was like the sound of many waters; in His right hand He held seven stars, from His mouth issued a sharp two-edged sword, and His face was like the sun shining in full strength. When I saw Him, I fell at His feet as though dead. But He laid His right hand upon me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the Living One; I died, and behold I am alive for evermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.” (Revelation 1:12-18 RSV)

“He had no form or comeliness that we should look at Him, and no beauty that we should desire Him. He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces He was despised, and we esteemed Him not” (Isaiah 53:2-3 RSV)

“He had to be made like His brethren in every respect” (Hebrews 2:17 RSV)

The quote from revelation, it can be argued, is of a Christ after resurrection. So, perhaps he looked different while on earth. I would argue, if only to save face, that since I believe and think it is a well settled issue that Christ was taken to heaven body and soul, his appearance in heaven even after resurrection should be very similar to his appearance on earth. So, it’s not exactly true that there is no description of Christ in the New Testament. Now the quote from Hebrews is, I think, instructive. We know where Christ was born. The Middle East. If scripture is to be believed, then Christ would have appeared very similar to his “bretheren”. There is no reason to believe that the people of the Middle East would have looked any different than how people in the Middle East appear today. So, I think we can derive form scripture a very good idea of what Christ looked like. You can watch any news broadcast about anything going on in the Midde East and get a pretty good idea of what Christ looked like.

Ultimately, I don’t think it matter much. it’s like the ancient argument about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. “Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the Living One; I died, and behold I am alive for evermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.” (Revelation 1:12-18 RSV). God said it, I believe it and that settles it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.