Racial incident (USA Chant) mars high school game

Unreal. Between Obama and PC run amuck, we don’t need terrorists to destroy USA, we are doing it from within. Might I suggest leaving the USA if you are offended by the chant of USA?

ksat.com/news/defenders/Racial-incident-mars-high-school-game/-/478436/9225754/-/145ddl2/-/index.html

A local school district is apologizing after an apparent incident of racism at a boys high school basketball game this past weekend.

When the final whistle blew Saturday, Alamo Heights celebrated a convincing victory over San Antonio Edison.

Alamo Heights Head Coach Andrew Brewer said he was proud of his team.

“Tremendously proud,” Brewer said. “Tremendously. It’s the best group of kids.”

But it was just after the trophy presentation when the coach was not proud of the chant coming from Alamo Heights fans.

“USA, USA, USA,” they chanted.

San Antonio Independent School District officials took the chant as a racial insult to a school with all minority players from a school with mostly white ones.

The whole incident is incomprehensible. Both high schools are located in the USA, and the USA is a nation not a race. Where is the racism and why are school officials concerned about this?

Because only white or ignorant people are patriots. And patriotism is what is so wrong with this country…

San Antonio Independent School District officials took the chant as a racial insult to a school with all minority players from a school with mostly white ones.

Sometimes it really is racist.

These students weren’t being patriotic. They didn’t chant this after the National Anthem or the Pledge. They did it after winning against a team of minority players.

This chant makes no sense unless you are playing against a team from another country.

This has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard.

maryjk, what is it about minority students in a school in the USA that would cause them to be offended by the chant “USA”? Are you suggesting that only white students love their country? That seems a little insulting to minority students.

Being from San Antonio, I can tell you what is going on. Alamo Heights is predominantly Caucasian, while Edison is predominantly Hispanic. There was no reason to chant “USA, USA, USA” for any other reason than to taunt the other school. Alamo Heights doesn’t chant USA after any other games. There was no precedent for them to do this; this is a Texas regional basketball game. The students from Alamo Heights were clearly trying to “twist the knife” a little in the team that lost. They chose poorly to use the chant that they did.

Exactly! the “minorty students” are just as american as the evil white kids. People need to stop seeing racisim where it isn’t.

You’re right - the students of both schools represent the USA.

Therefore, what was the point of the Alamo Heights fans chanting “USA” when their team was being presented with the trophy? Alamo Heights won - USA lost (at least half lost).

White fans claiming the USA represents THEM in particular is racism.

Does that help?

Of course not. BUT I am saying that the students that were chanting USA are saying that.

If the students were simply being patriotic, why would they chant USA after a win against another USA team? It doesn’t make any sense. :shrug:

If they were being patriotic and they wanted to chant USA, why not do it after the National Anthem?

sanantocatholic,

Thanks for that local explanation. Wouldn’t the solution be for the other kids to chant “USA” as well? Isn’t it insulting for anyone to suggest that youngsters of Hispanic background aren’t American kids? Why not just join right in and claim their right as proud citizens instead of yielding the field and then claiming “racism”? “Hispanic” isn’t any more a race than is “USA”. The term “racist” is wrongly applied and loses it’s sting. How about we just say the winning kids were poor sports?

I can remember when the winning high school would taunt the losers as they drove away in their team bus with “Sha na na na, sha na na na, hey hey hey, gooood bye!!”. I view this in the same light. It’s rude, not “racist”. Administrators shouldn’t be promoting an attitude of victimhood in a particular group of American kids by calling it racism, in my opinion.

RACIST???
They didn’t identify the minority team race, from San Antonio Edison, so we can assume, Hispanic. I am sure they would have told us it was African-American, which we can assume it wasn’t because no local NAACP personage was complaining. So, if Hispanic, is Hispanic automatic non-white? Or was the team non-white Hispanic again no information. So, let’s assume since this is aledge racist, the other team is non-white Hispanic. So, would non-white Hispanic-American people be offended by “USA, USA, USA”? (Maybe, if the implication was Edison’s players were illegal and they were native American as well as the chanters.That makes the chanters stupid not racist.) So, were these illegal immigrant kids? No information given.
And since when is triumphantalism patriotic pride racist. Sophomoric maybe what do you expect from High Schoolers, racist no.
I am really sick of PC and illegals having their feeeeeelings hurt. If they don’t it like they can go back to where ever the h*** they came from I don’t care.
Now if these players were native Americans there is another way of settling it… :thumbsup:

Maybe they are better sports then they other kids?

Isn’t it insulting for anyone to suggest that youngsters of Hispanic background aren’t American kids?

Yes, it is, that is why the chanters got in trouble.

Why not just join right in and claim their right as proud citizens instead of yielding the field and then claiming “racism”? “Hispanic” isn’t any more a race than is “USA”. The term “racist” is wrongly applied and loses it’s sting. How about we just say the winning kids were poor sports?

Maybe we should chalk it up to the chanters needing an education? Or maybe say they were trying to be racist, but didn’t know what it meant?

I can remember when the winning high school would taunt the losers as they drove away in their team bus with “Sha na na na, sha na na na, hey hey hey, gooood bye!!”. I view this in the same light. It’s rude, not “racist”. Administrators shouldn’t be promoting an attitude of victimhood in a particular group of American kids by calling it racism, in my opinion.

I really think it comes down to intent. The chanters could have simply been rude and chanted something else. But the administrators know, since they had not chanted USA in the past, that they were trying to be racist and put a stop to the chant.

But the administrators know, since they had not chanted USA in the past, that they were trying to be racist and put a stop to the chant.

I think that’s a pretty big assumption. It might have been just a spontaneous burst of pride at winning. The chant “USA” has become a rather common way to celebrate and shout assent and approval. You hear it at political rallies all the time, not as a way of taunting anyone, but as a way of voicing agreement. I think it’s offensive for the administration to assume bad intent on the part of the kids. Poor sportsmanship, yes. Racism, no. If this is racism, are we all now restricted from exhibiting any national pride for fear of offending foreign nationals and overseas visitors? If it’s racism in this context, it would be everywhere - sports stadiums, etc. It’s PC run amok.

These were not foreign nationals or overseas visitors. IF they were, it would have made sense to chant USA. A chant of USA most of the time is showing pride in our nation.

And political rallies are, pretty much by definition, a place where people would chant USA. How many local sports events have you attended where one team, in a chant to another, chanted USA? I have never heard it.

I don’t see this as a big assumption at all. I think it is all too obvious. It was meant to be racist.

I can see no way this can be construed as patriotism. They were not “America’s” team that was doing the chanting and the other team was not less American. It was terrible sportsmanship. There is no reason to know if race was a factor, or if it was not without the people doing the chant coming forward to explain. It might have been racist. It was in poor taste.

No, unfortunately, it is very real. In Arizona, school books were recently taken out of the curriculum due to being pro Mexican, stating that California, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas were stolen from Mexico and it was time to take it back. In all those states, there are areas where english is a foriegn language. Here in my home state, a trailer park was recently placed in a condemned state because of people were living in the sheds originally built to house the lawnmowers. One woman, who had been here for 15 years had to have an intreperter because she could speak not a word of english. There are militant mexican orgainzations, one of which a member of our Supreme Court is a member, that advocate the return of stolen mexican lands to mexico by any and all means necessary.

The are some simple answers to this problem. As a retired Marine, I can tell you that mining the Rio Grande is not out of the question. Drones patrolling the boarder with non lethal, but stunning ammo is another. Placing a bounty on illegal aliens would bring jobs to the American unemployed. Ceasing all traffic from mexico air and ground would be another. Sound too awful? It is many of the same tactics we are planning to use in Iran.

The question is, are we Americans going to continue to allow our nation to be overrun by illegals who are planting their flag and their country on our land? If your answer is yes, then these incidents of “diversity” will continue. If your answer is no, vote in November.

This is a rather uncharitae, mean-spirited attitude. It was racist, obviously. The clear implication of the chant was that the Hispanic students of the other school were not “real Americans” because they are Latino. That’s the WHOLE POINT of the chant. Otherwise, as other posters have said, the chant itself in this context makes absolutely no sense. Absent this clearly racist intent behind the chant, it’s occurrence here is inexplicable.

haha… This isn’t too far from where I live actually. Remember folks, EVERYTHING is racist now. :rolleyes:

No, but this was.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.