Racing through prayers?

Do other faiths have this issue? And what can we do to change it in ours?

Almost every parish I’ve visited or belonged to, speeds as quickly through the prayers as possible. It’s almost impossible to understand each word, let alone feel it. Why? After my amazing experience with the Holy Spirit years ago, I’ve wanted to taste, feel, every word of each prayer we say, whether alone or during Mass.

If I say the Rosary silently before Mass, anyone else (like my husband) who starts at the same time, or even after me, is at least 1, if not 2, mysteries ahead of me. It doesn’t bother ME that I’m slower in praying; I just don’t understand the need to rush through them. Might as well be singing the ABCs. :smiley: I sometimes use the Android app (Rosary Player) and it moves fairly quickly, but not as rushed as some others. On Laudate, it depends on the podcast, but they always move quicker than I can keep up. I’m not ‘slow’ in mind or speech generally.

By no means am I putting down anyone that speeds through a prayer; many probably don’t realize they are doing it. I just think it honors Him more to think about our prayers as we say them.

I agree completely… drives me nuts at the speed people say the rosary… Whats the rush…
Might miss something on Bold and the beautiful maybe ?
When I pray… which is not often enough, I will say a sentence and think of those words and try to interpret the meaning of those words in my mind… and think about the prayer I’m saying… and no i’m not a good catholic…lol.

That is my son, He prays so fast, but then he does most things as if his tail is on fire! :D

Sometimes I pray rather quickly, at work for instance when I am trying not to “waste” the employer’s time and money! Other times I can take as much time as seems appropriate.

One of the ways to truly experience praying the Rosary, slowly, is by reciting a Scriptural Rosary, which uses Biblical imagery and Scripture verses. I can’t pray this way very often but it is nice.

I pray the Rosary on my iPhone, plugged into my car, so I pray it on my way to work. It takes about 20 minutes, not sure if that is too fast, or too slow?

It has taken me as long as one hour to pray 5 decades of the Rosary.

Yeah, I don't like when others race through prayers. It makes it seem more like an obligation to them than a joy.

[quote="bassdrummer, post:4, topic:319943"]
Sometimes I pray rather quickly, at work for instance when I am trying not to "waste" the employer's time and money! Other times I can take as much time as seems appropriate.

One of the ways to truly experience praying the Rosary, slowly, is by reciting a Scriptural Rosary, which uses Biblical imagery and Scripture verses. I can't pray this way very often but it is nice.

I pray the Rosary on my iPhone, plugged into my car, so I pray it on my way to work. It takes about 20 minutes, not sure if that is too fast, or too slow?

[/quote]

I do like the Scriptural Rosary as well; but even the one on my phone goes faster on the prayers than I like, and I feel like I still need the 'assistance' of praying the Rosary that way, so it's a trade off. Are you using Laudate?

[quote="Rosary_Girl, post:5, topic:319943"]
It has taken me as long as one hour to pray 5 decades of the Rosary.

Yeah, I don't like when others race through prayers. It makes it seem more like an obligation to them than a joy.

[/quote]

It used to bother me more over the years, but since I pray outside of just Mass, I try just to keep up, or say it quietly enough not to disturb others. If that was my only "Our Father" or such during the whole week, (which it shouldn't be, for me), I'd be much more disturbed. I never really said the Rosary until 6 weeks ago, but now I've said more Hail Marys and Our Fathers in 6 weeks than total for many many years. :) And probably more Rosaries than my entire life....I've said around 80+ Rosaries in 6 weeks.

Maybe we should also add praying for those that feel it as a task instead of a joy. :)

An hour?!
I’m very worried, it takes me much less than that.
I don’t try to rush through my prayers, and also I meditate on whatever mystery is being said as that is the whole point isn’t it? We are reflecting on the significant events of Our Blessed Mother’s life. But perhaps I could stand to reflect further.
Funny thing is though, I try to pray all four mysteries on the one day as often as possible,
Ending with the Glorious Mysteries.
Very often when I pray the third Glorious Mystery, I feel an overwhelming sense of calm, an almost tangible spirit with me. Has anyone else experienced this?

I attend a Roman Catholic mass on my lunch hour, and very often stay for the Miraculous Medal and St Jude Novenas that are held on Monday and Wednesday respectively. It does bother me a bit that it is so rushed, but I try to keep reminding myself to not let it bother me too much. After all, it is at lunch hour and people do have to get back to the office.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.