"Racist" accusation leveled at AZ Gov, Rhode Island does same - ignored

Haters of Arizona Governor Jan Brewer were actually bussed into Boston to protest her state doing the job of enforcing immigration law, while Barack Hussein Obama continues to drag his feet.

According to The Boston Herald; Protesters in Copley Square said Brewer was a bigot and called for the end of what they said was "racist deportation."

Yet oddly, the same protesters who scream "bigot" and "racist" at Brewer and Arizona, have conveniently been silent of neighboring Rhode Island been doing for years -- namely, exactly what Arizona's SB 1070 has that state's law enforcement agencies doing in regards to illegal immigration.

Click here for the remainder of the article.

Is this a news article or a blog opinion?

[quote="Caveman, post:1, topic:205202"]
Haters of Arizona Governor Jan Brewer were actually bussed into Boston to protest her state doing the job of enforcing immigration law, while Barack Hussein Obama continues to drag his feet.

According to The Boston Herald; Protesters in Copley Square said Brewer was a bigot and called for the end of what they said was "racist deportation."

Yet oddly, the same protesters who scream "bigot" and "racist" at Brewer and Arizona, have conveniently been silent of neighboring Rhode Island been doing for years -- namely, exactly what Arizona's SB 1070 has that state's law enforcement agencies doing in regards to illegal immigration.

Click here for the remainder of the article.

[/quote]

Karl Marx - "Accuse others of what you do."

[quote="Rich_Olszewski, post:2, topic:205202"]

[/quote]

The OP is quoting from what may be a blog about a news article found here:
boston.com/news/local/rhode_island/articles/2010/07/06/ri_troopers_embrace_firm_immigration_role/?page=full

SCITUATE, R.I. — Rhode Island State Trooper Nuno Vasconcelos was patrolling Interstate 95 a few months ago when he came upon a two-car accident in heavy traffic. The trooper pulled up, stepped out of his cruiser, and asked one of the drivers for his license

[LIST]
*]%between%
[/LIST]

The man said he did not have a license, and under questioning, confessed that he was here illegally from Guatemala.

If the accident had happened 15 miles north in Massachusetts, the man would probably have been arrested for driving without a license, which carries a fine of up to $1,000 and 10 days in jail, then released pending an appearance in district court.

But in Rhode Island, illegal immigrants face a far greater penalty: deportation.

Rhode Island's immigration law will be the test that ends the US v Arizona lawsuit. Since Rhode Island's law was not contested, it will be hard for the Arizona law to be singled out. If Obama and Holder wish to sue more states, it will make the Democrats not only appear desperate to cater to illegal immigrant votes but will to openly defy federal immigration laws while doing so.

[/quote]

Rich, read the article for yourself. You'll see that I have two different news sources clearly cited.

[quote="Caveman, post:5, topic:205202"]
Rich, read the article for yourself. You'll see that I have two different news sources clearly cited.

BTW, if Examiner.com is a blog, brick and mortar newspaper, or an internet paper is irrelevant. The selective and staged protests against Gov Brewer is the question at hand.

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's a multi-sourced news article, well worth the read.

In American law, would the RI law serve as a precedent to legitimize Arizona's defense against the Obama administrations court action?

It would seem that by failing to take action against a previously existing law first, a precedent has already been set. If RI was deemed not to be encroaching federal jurisdiction, might not Arizona have a good argument that the federal case against them is merely political posturing on behalf of the Obama Democrats?

[quote="Darryl1958, post:7, topic:205202"]
It's a multi-sourced news article, well worth the read.

[/quote]

Thanks, D58!!

[quote="Darryl1958, post:8, topic:205202"]
In American law, would the RI law serve as a precedent to legitimize Arizona's defense against the Obama administrations court action?

[/quote]

Yes-and it has been tried in court and upheld twice so far

It would seem that by failing to take action against a previously existing law first, a precedent has already been set. If RI was deemed not to be encroaching federal jurisdiction, might not Arizona have a good argument that the federal case against them is merely political posturing on behalf of the Obama Democrats?

The lawsuit has nothing to do with legal concerns and everything to do with trying to get Hispanics out voting in November.

It’s becoming pretty obvious that this Attorney General has no idea what he is doing.

All of the major lawsuits he has issued could open up the government to embarrasment or worse. Pending lawsuits such as the one against Arizona is likely to make the feds look pretty bad and negligent in an American court for not upholding there constitutional mandate, which is to protect our borders. I see no way that the federal govt. can defend itself in court on the job it has done “protecting” our borders. A judge is very likely to rule for the state of Arizona. Watch other states join AZ and RI if that happens!The BP lawsuits might also get embarrasing to this administration by showing the coziness between them and BP and the utter futility of our govt. to do anything to stop the flowing oil. Then there is the terrorist trial that AG Holder wants to hold in NYC under civilian law which might actually get the terrorists off, when they already admited guilt. Then there is the Black Panther debacle…:cool:

Yes, this really is some AG we have on our hands…

[quote="Gaurdian, post:3, topic:205202"]
Karl Marx - "Accuse others of what you do."

[/quote]

That Marx quotation is a fictional one I'm afraid, and has been also attributed to Lenin despite there being no evidence that either of them ever said it. Can we please check the accuracy of things before we say them?

[quote="estesbob, post:10, topic:205202"]
Yes-and it has been tried in court and upheld twice so far

The lawsuit has nothing to do with legal concerns and everything to do with trying to get Hispanics out voting in November.

[/quote]

What kind of government is it that supports illegal activity without scruples, or shame, or even the slightest sense of embarrassment, with only political advantage in mind?

It is just really sad how Holder opts to exploit race in order to garner the ethnic vote.

[quote="jimcav, post:11, topic:205202"]
It's becoming pretty obvious that this Attorney General has no idea what he is doing.

All of the major lawsuits he has issued could open up the government to embarrasment or worse. Pending lawsuits such as the one against Arizona is likely to make the feds look pretty bad and negligent in an American court for not upholding there constitutional mandate, which is to protect our borders. I see no way that the federal govt. can defend itself in court on the job it has done "protecting" our borders. A judge is very likely to rule for the state of Arizona. Watch other states join AZ and RI if that happens!The BP lawsuits might also get embarrasing to this administration by showing the coziness between them and BP and the utter futility of our govt. to do anything to stop the flowing oil. Then there is the terrorist trial that AG Holder wants to hold in NYC under civilian law which might actually get the terrorists off, when they already admited guilt. Then there is the Black Panther debacle....:cool:

Yes, this really is some AG we have on our hands....

[/quote]

Thanks for the good reply. I would hope that a judge would rule for a government which has decided to uphold the law rather than for one which would exploit this situation for their own political advantage.
Good to know that common sense has prevailed in the courts up to this point at least.

[quote="O_Duirnin, post:12, topic:205202"]
That Marx quotation is a fictional one I'm afraid, and has been also attributed to Lenin despite there being no evidence that either of them ever said it. Can we please check the accuracy of things before we say them?

[/quote]

The quote is from Marx and his letters/manuscripts from 1844-45. With all due respect one should more fully research the facts before making false accusations. I simply would expect a higher level of professionalism from a Scot.

I'm not a legal expert but there are a few differences between the Arizona law and the RI law that may be either significant or insignificant.

1. In RI its an executive order from the governor's office.
  2. The executive order is only for the State Police (and prison officials). City and town police do not check immigration status.
  3. The RI State Police are working in coordination with federal officials. RI State police entered an agreement with federal immigration authorities permitting them access to specialized immigration databases.

Like I said, I'm not legal expert so I don't know if these differences matter or not, but it should be noted that the RI issue is not a carbon copy of the Arizona law.

RI, and many other states, apparently do not mirror the AZ law but instead are part of ICE's 287(g) program.

[quote="NewEnglandPries, post:16, topic:205202"]
I'm not a legal expert but there are a few differences between the Arizona law and the RI law that may be either significant or insignificant.

1. In RI its an executive order from the governor's office.
  2. The executive order is only for the State Police (and prison officials). City and town police do not check immigration status.
  3. The RI State Police are working in coordination with federal officials. RI State police entered an agreement with federal immigration authorities permitting them access to specialized immigration databases.

Like I said, I'm not legal expert so I don't know if these differences matter or not, but it should be noted that the RI issue is not a carbon copy of the Arizona law.

RI, and many other states, apparently do not mirror the AZ law but instead are part of ICE's 287(g) program.

[/quote]

The law allows the RI policewho have stopped people to check on their citizenbship. How is this racist pro-filing in Az but not on RI?

[quote="estesbob, post:17, topic:205202"]
The law allows the RI policewho have stopped people to check on their citizenbship. How is this racist pro-filing in Az but not on RI?

[/quote]

In RI its an extremely limited set of circumstances that it happens. For starters its only the state police that do it. Secondly, the state police are linked into the ICE database through a special program.

Its being done in complete and total coordination with ICE whereas Arizona seems to be simply doing it on its own. That could be the legal/constitutional difference.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.