Racy Catholic calendar angers Spain church leaders

I’m just so confused as to how the supposed adult supervision of a Catholic youth group could think this was a good idea. Baffled really, that the thought this would set A) a good example for the youth in the group, B) that the bishop wouldn’t get angry.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110107/ap_on_re_eu/eu_spain_racy_calendar

Reading the article, it does say the Bishop condemned the calendar. I agree that I can't understand how this could have seemed like a good idea, especially when you consider these are people who are supposed to be aiding the faith of young people.

A bad idea yes, but I have to ask - do Catholics consider any kind of nudity sinful?

Always remember the hot, lukewarm and cold are among us all who follow Christ..

[quote="LemonAndLime, post:3, topic:225261"]
A bad idea yes, but I have to ask - do Catholics consider any kind of nudity sinful?

[/quote]

No, of course not. But they do (should) consider immodesty and sacreligious depictions of our most holy events (the scenes from the Passion of our Lord) to be sinful.

So if this was simply nudity for the sake of art, it would be okay - it’s just the fact that they’re depicting the Passion as an erotic event which is why people are so upset? Completely understandable of course, it offends me.

[/quote]

Although I'm merely a candidate, my research would suggest no. It would depend on whether it caused others to lust, I think. After all, consider all the nudes in the Sistine Chapel!

To my understanding there are three problem, each of which could get people upset

1. it was a sacreligious depiction of the story of the Passion
  2. it was meant to be titillating, to use the nudes to excite or arouse rather than for the artistic appreciation of the human form
  3. there were youth involved in a project of a sexual nature and that’s a really stupid move, especially in the current climate.

I think next time they should stick to a bake sale. :rolleyes:

Of course. We even wear clothes in the shower. :rolleyes:

[quote="joandarc2008, post:9, topic:225261"]
I think next time they should stick to a bake sale. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

Uhoh. You know what shapes they'll make the cakes in!

[quote="exoflare, post:10, topic:225261"]

[/quote]

I didn't mean it like that. :p

But you made me laugh, so I can't feel that insulted.

[quote="PerfectTiming, post:2, topic:225261"]
Reading the article, it does say the Bishop condemned the calendar. I agree that I can't understand how this could have seemed like a good idea, especially when you consider these are people who are supposed to be aiding the faith of young people.

[/quote]

Yeah, I was surprised that they were surprised when the bishop expressed his disapproval, lol.

Originally Posted by LemonAndLime

I think that in this case its more a sin of scandal than the nudity per se. Way too many people are willing to, rather bluntly... take their clothes off for money, and its really not something that the Church should appear to endorse at all.

It also sends the wrong message to the youths in the group, who are already way to tempted by the truly obscene nude images out there (speaking as one just out of college myself).

Originally Posted by fons_vitae

Although I'm merely a candidate, my research would suggest no. It would depend on whether it caused others to lust, I think. After all, consider all the nudes in the Sistine Chapel!

This kind nudity within its original and appropriate context is acceptable. I think it might cross the line if someone for instance were to zoom on each individual nude scene in the chapel, and market as something like "Sistine Nudity". The religious significance would way to easily be lost in such a work.

[/quote]

In theory no (according to the Theology of the Body) but in practice, non-Catholics have often gotten the impression (especially prior to Vatican II) that the Church despised the body, especially the parts related to sexuality and reproduction.

of course. We even wear clothes in the shower. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

I Knew it! :)

[/quote]

Non-Catholics don't? :confused:

[quote="kbachler, post:11, topic:225261"]
Uhoh. You know what shapes they'll make the cakes in!

[/quote]

don't forget the cookies!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.