Radical sanction required if I wasn't catholic when I married?

My husband and I, both baptized non-Catholics were married civilly. Now I am converting and I am set to receive sacraments this Easter vigil. Our annulments have gone through and we are considered free to marry, but my husband refuses to have a simple validation. The diocese directed my pastor to complete radical sanction paperwork, but everything I read says this is only for people who were Catholics when they married outside of the church. Do I need this sanction? Is my marriage valid? Sacramental? Is the marital embrace a sin for us at this point?

Thank you!

It depends. We need to remember that there is a difference between an annulment and a Pauline or Petrine Privilege. An annulment declares that a valid marriage never existed. A Pauline or Petrine Privilege recognizes that a valid marriage *did *exist and *dissolves *its bond.

If you both received annulments then that means those marriages were never valid and that you were indeed free to marry at the time you married your husband. Therefore you current marriage would be considered valid and you would not need a validation.

However, if one of you was married to an unbaptized person and received a Petrine Privilege then that would mean the prior marriage is considered to have been valid and was only recently dissolved. That would mean you or your husband was not free to marry at the time of your marriage and therefore would need a validation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.