RADIO: Oprah & Friends Online - A Course In Miracles

I just received a disturbing email and was wondering if it were true…

Oprah will be “Oprah and Friends” to expose millions to New Age Christ on XM Satellite Radio starting January 1st. Oprah Winfrey will be letting out all the stops on her XM Satellite
Radio program this coming year. Beginning January 1, 2008, “Oprah & Friends” will offer a year-long course on the New Age teachings of A Course in Miracles. A lesson a day throughout the year will completely cover the 365 lessons from the Course in Miracles "Workbook.” ” By the end of the year, “Oprah & Friends” listeners will have completed all of the lessons laid out in the Course in Miracles Workbook.

So what is A Course in Miracles and what does it teach? A Course in Miracles is allegedly “new revelation” from “Jesus” to help humanity work through these troubled times. This “Jesus”—who bears no doctrinal resemblance to the Bible’s Jesus Christ—began delivering his channeled teachings in 1965 to a Columbia University Professor of Medical Psychology by the name of Helen Schucman. One day Schucman heard an “inner voice” stating, “This is a course in miracles. Please take notes.” For seven years she diligently took spiritual dictation from this inner voice that describe d himself as “Jesus.” A Course in Miracles was quietly published in 1975 by the Foundation for Inner Peace. For many years “the Course” was an underground cult classic for New Age seekers who studied “the Course” individually, with
friends, or in small study groups.

I do hope this is not true as I am a fan of Oprah and pray that she is not being led astray.

Personally, I am not a fan of Oprah, but I hope this is not true.

However, my mother is a huge “new age” addict…I say that because she can’t pull herself away from it no matter what evidence to the contrary is brought to her attention. AND…she’s a huge fan of Oprah. So, I gather I will find out if it’s true sooner or later because my mom will espouse some weird stuff spoken by Oprah as Gospel Truth. Oh, goody. :o

Forum guidelines require claims such as this to have links to mainstream media sources provided in the originating post. This thread was started based on an email, which is not considered ‘mainstream’. For the sake of the topic, however, I’m posting the link to Oprah’s own website about the matter: Oprah & Friends Online in order to keep this thread open.

Readers will see that a spiritual adviser is but one of several ‘friends’ who share air time with her. Clicking on the Topics We’re Working On link will show that various topics are covered over the course of a week.

Further review of the O&F Online site reveals that A Course in Miracles is a feature of Marianne Williamson which will begin on January 1. From the description on her website it seems the feature on O&F will focus on Marianne’s daily reflections as she goes through this ACIM herself.

Oprah Winfrey will be letting out all the stops on her XM Satellite Radio program this coming year. Beginning January 1, 2008, “Oprah & Friends” will offer a year-long course on the New Age teachings of A Course in Miracles.1 A lesson a day throughout the year will completely cover the 365 lessons from the Course in Miracles “Workbook.”

For example, Lesson #29 asks you to go through your day affirming that “God is in everything I see.”2 Lesson #61 tells each person to repeat the affirmation “I am the light of the world.”3 Lesson #70 teaches the student to say and believe “My salvation comes from me.”4

crossroad.to/articles2/007/smith-oprah.htm

This story is sick and Oprah is too imo. T.V. is such garbage dump.

parentsgeeksandgod.com/2008/02/20/anti-christ-oops-i-mean-oprah-reinvention-of-jesus-picks-up-steam/
Anti-Christ, Oops, I Mean Oprah Reinvention of Jesus Picks Up Steam | parents geeks & god blog

I posted this link yesterday. It has a good explanation of the dangers.

Does anyone have a good website to send people to so that they understand the premise of the book and how it relates to their Catholic faith BEFORE they purchase it.

:eek: I have no powers and I certainly didn’t die on the cross.
What is Oprah thinking?!
She really needs our prayers. :crossrc:

But a former disciple of “A Course in Miracles” who returned to the Catholic Church calls it a course in brainwashing. Moira Noonan, once a New Age minister and psychic, was introduced to the course 20 years ago.

They say in the course that the Holy Spirit wants us to have these new thoughts, a new reality," Noonan explained. “It says right in the beginning of the course to question everything. . . . [size=]The course is Satan’s mock bible,” she said, adding that its disciples “want people to think it’s a religion, but it’s not.”

…“A Course in Miracles,”… is not affiliated with any church or denomination.

“The key problem is the [course’s] pseudo-Christian vocabulary and ideas,” said Father Pacwa. “People don’t know the Catechism, they don’t know their faith. . . . The course strongly rejects the use of reason and thinking. . . . This is precisely what makes the course feasible. Once you get rid of reason, you get rid of discussion.”

Critics of “A Course in Miracles” warn that Catholics who try to incorporate its principles into their faith will severely compromise their beliefs because the two theologies are completely incompatible.

Father Pacwa said the course repeatedly misquotes the Bible and “presents a false Jesus.”[/size]

Read more at A Course in Brainwashing

In dealing with individuals who teach and follow “the Course” one must realize that they probably believe they are truly seeking God in their studies of “the Course.” Those trying to follow the teachings would consciously reject all evil. Unfortunately, their beliefs are “Gnostic” and they probably consider a Catholic’s devotion to the Faith , given to us by our Lord Jesus Christ, as unenlightened medieval superstition to be rejected by all in this enlightened “new age.” The teaching’s in “the Course” are particularly attractive to individuals who have fallen away from the faith and find themselves seeking some- thing to fill their spiritual void.

More at this EWTN webpage.

Oprah is very dangerous and I don’t think she knows yet. She is taking her NEW AGE philosophy world-wide with her XM radio show. She has purchased Discovery Health TV and it is called OWN ( Oprah Winfrey Network ).
This is the time for true Christians to stand up and walk the talk. We are being bombarded and satan is taking direct aim at women. There is no self-help, feel-good book that will make anyone walk the true path, except of course the BIBLE…The 10 commandments were and are a simple way to lead a good life and they are being trashed.
Watch Oprah’s face when Jesus or the Bible are mentioned…she has a hard time concealing her distain. She told us she channels spirits in her go-there moments…Sethe et al. She allies herself with all new-age gurus…she promotes them and makes them instant millionaires with her book reviews.
Her " favourite things " show is disgusting. She advocates for children, yet she has no problem airing shows that promote erotic behaviour and adult themes.
I’m not a prude and she’s a hippocrite.
Some say they are disallusioned with Oprah and only tune into her show when she Dr. Oz on…he is married to Lisa, a reiki MASTER and a producer on Oprah. Reiki is based on ancient mysticism…please do some research.
It’s true about the course in miracles as stated above. That jesus is not our Jesus.
If you are a Christian you cannot be on the fence. We need to put on our spiritual armour.

:eek: Could Oprah be the Anti-Christ?! :eek:

:stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley:

Oprah, the antichrist?..I don’t think so. She may be one of the two prophets that pave the way for him tho’. She has the clout, power, wealth and influence to affect a major " consciousness " shift. She is going globally to do just that.
I think she is being so subelty and deceptively used and her arrogance speaks volumes as to who her puppet master is…Eve knows him well.
" The man of perdition"…is it a man or a woman? who knows? I really don’t think that person is Oprah. I definitely think tho’ that Oprah is a necessary vessel to bring this man forward.

Can we keep it in the realm of reality, here? Serious Christians can’t simply keep throwing out the label “antichrist” every time we hear something wacky.

Only last week I read a secular article which was basically saying that some Christians’ attitudes perpetuate a self-defeating cycle: they pray for upstanding public figures, then anyone who even looks like they could fit the bill immediately gets labelled “the antichrist”. He also gave a short list of recent public figures labelled “antichrists” by fundamentalists.

What does our Church teach about the antichrist? I submit that that’s all we need to know. The true Christ is here for all who seek Him, what else matters?

DUH…this is reality. I have never talked about the antichrist, except for here.
You need to do research and it will take you 20 years, I think.
The reality is A REALITY you cannot comprehend.
One thing I will say…JESUS CHRIST is my SAVIOUR

:rolleyes: Oh my goodness, I was only kidding, hence the smiley face at the bottom of my post.

I don’t believe that Oprah is the anti-christ. But I do like patfc’s answer. It makes some sense.

But you’re right seekerz, nothing else matters except Jesus Christ our savior. As long as we know the Truth, which is Jesus Christ, we don’t have to worry about the False.

This series started being offered here in my city (WI). The first meeting was tonight. I recognized the titles of the various lessons. It is being held at a place which says it is a women’s center. They have all kinds of stuff there, yoga, Bible study, meditation, etc. I try to stay away from it.

Seems the New Age stuff is just everywhere nowadays.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Mimi

Yes Mimi, stay clear of the yoga, meditation rituals. Never allow your mind to go elsewhere…never allow your brain to be vacant of thought.
I can’t let Oprah off my radar, I think she is very pivotal for the times we live in…she is dovetailing Sodom and Gommorah into " THE NEW WORLD ORDER ".
I think she truely thinks she is doing Humanity A BIG FAVOUR…not so!
Oprah’s arrogance and distain towards the true JESUS CHRIST screams PAGAN. She has idols in her home, she channels her spirit guides and she sneers at MY CHRIST…not a problem for her…she does it so subelty.
Satan’s greatest weapon is subtle deceit…he is pulling all the stops out as he takes aim at mothers!!!

Hi. I’m Angie. I am a new member to the forum. I have said the Rosary every night in my 52yrs of life. I received a revelation when I was 10 while saying the rosary and ever since have consided Jesus and the Holy Spirit as being my primal guides through life. I also happen to be Catholic by birth and faith and KNOW that the Holy Spirit will not lead me astray. I am concerned that any Catholic let along a Christian would say that we have no “powers”, especially when Jesus himself declared in the bible that 'greater things will we do (in his name 'CHRIST) then He did himself. That means, if we are to believe Jesus, even raising people from the dead. I must say that does make you think, just what did J mean by this??. As far as Oprah being the Anti Christ?? If you had done any minor research, He/Her/It was to come out of the Middle East. I don’t believe Africa is where the Bible ment. Jesus said you will know his followers by “their Love” NOT whether they are Catholic/Protestant/ Jewish/ nostic etc. It would seem to me that by some of the judgemental responses I’ve read on this and many other Catholic & Christian sights, that the meaning of this escapes many. “Judge not.” was a command by Jesus Himself and is not mindless. I would think in regards to 'a Course in Miracles" that no judgment can be given unless it has been read. And consider. - WHAT IF THIS TEACHING REALLY COMES FROM JESUS?? To say that it contradicts the Bible in many passages does not constitute it as false teaching. To say it contradicts some traditional Catholic beliefs also does not constitute false teaching. It wasn’t too long ago that the Catholic church called it HERESY to believe the world was NOT FLAT. We all now know how wrong THAT was. Woops I mentioned Catholic & Wrong in the same sentence. Let’s get down off our band wagons of piousness and look at the real issues that is address by ‘A course in Miracles’ LOVE / FORGIVENESS / ATONEMENT. All basic to Christian Belief.

Moira Noonan will be coming to our area in November! :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.