Radio station/books using saints, called "Jesus Freaks"

Anyone else notice that a couple of radio stations, I’ll leave unnamed, talk about “Jesus Freaks”? Some of which happen to be Saints! The last one I heard was on St. Thomas Becket, of course, they dropped the St. part. Just thought this was quite interesting. D.C. Talk has books called “Jesus Freaks”. Not all are Saints, but definitely interesting how they talk about their Christian witness, which the Catholic Church has been doing for um, 2,000 years. Well anyways, just thought I would see what anyone had to comment on this.

I’m old enough to recall when this term first came into use, as a slur against Christians. For those youngsters, here is a blip from Wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_freak

Jesus freak, while initially a pejorative term for those involved in the Jesus movement of the late 1960s and early 1970s, was quickly embraced by them and soon broadened to describe a Christian subculture throughout the hippie and back-to-the-land movements that focused on universal love and pacifism, and relished the radical nature of Jesus’ message. Jesus freaks often carried and distributed copies of the “Good News for Modern Man”, a 1966 translation that fit the bill by including only the New Testament, and by being in modern English.
The term Jesus freak, having lost ties to its roots, is used today variously as a pejorative epithet against Christians in general, and by some Christian youth as a positive term to let others know that they are not ashamed of their beliefs.

Yes I was aware of the original use. Just thought it was interesting how they won’t call the Saints by what they are.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.