Raghead' remark causes latest flap in SC gov race

google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gAg1FiRdAg26lfqUqQ0kUjLNouvwD9G4N2Q01

COLUMBIA, S.C. — A GOP lawmaker hoping to be the state's first female governor is getting publicity for all the wrong reasons.

First a political blogger said he and Rep. Nikki Haley had an inappropriate physical relationship when he worked for her in 2007. Then a lobbyist said he had a one-night stand with her in a Salt Lake City hotel room during a school choice conference.

On Thursday, state Sen. Jake Knotts used an ethnic slur to refer to Haley, whose parents immigrated from India.

"We've got a raghead in Washington, we don't need a raghead in the Statehouse," Knotts said on an Internet political talk show. He later apologized, saying the remarks were meant as a joke.

:eek: Shame on her, she should know better. :tsktsk:

~Liza

HI,

I believe there have two men that have stated that they had relations with her. Neither have offered any proof to these charges.

The raghead remarks were very offensive and showed ignorance and lack of common decency.

This man should offer his resignation right now. He does not deserve to represent anyone.

[quote="lizaanne, post:2, topic:201214"]

~Liza

[/quote]

No one has offered proof to this claim. Are you suggesting that we should believe everything we hear??

She is way ahead and bound to get the nomination tonight.

~Liza

[/quote]

She did, get called a raghead you know?

You respond to the rumors and not the fact?

[quote="dragon, post:4, topic:201214"]
No one has offered proof to this claim. Are you suggesting that we should believe everything we hear??

[/quote]

[quote="bbarrick8383, post:6, topic:201214"]

[/quote]

My apologies - I wrote that far too quickly - I meant to say shame on HIM!!! Not shame on her. That's what I get for posting and trying to get out the door at the same time! :o

~Liza

[/quote]

:eek: Shame on him, he should know better. :tsktsk:

[quote="bbarrick8383, post:6, topic:201214"]

[/quote]

Now, bbarrick, you know this fellow Knotts is not the point here. The point is that the Democrat campaign machine wants to dump slurs on as many Republicans as possible. Maybe Knotts said that, and maybe he didn't.

[quote="Ridgerunner, post:9, topic:201214"]
Now, bbarrick, you know this fellow Knotts is not the point here. The point is that the Democrat campaign machine wants to dump slurs on as many Republicans as possible. Maybe Knotts said that, and maybe he didn't.

[/quote]

He said it and really did not apologize.

"Knotts did issue an apology of sorts after his remarks. "I still believe Ms. Haley is pretending to be someone she is not, much as Obama did, but I do apologize to both for an unintended slur," Knotts says.

However, the Free-Times, a Columbia newspaper, reports that Knotts went further in his comments after the show was over. The paper published an article claiming he repeated the use of the term "raghead," and said that Haley was "programmed to run for governor of South Carolina by outside influences in foreign countries."

A second source backs up the content of that report.

WLTX repeatedly reached out to Knotts for comment Friday, but he has so far not agreed to an interview."

wltx.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=88260&catid=2

Why do you even mention Democrats here? They are not 'dumping slurs' unless they put words in that Republican's mouth.

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:10, topic:201214"]
He said it and really did not apologize.

"Knotts did issue an apology of sorts after his remarks. "I still believe Ms. Haley is pretending to be someone she is not, much as Obama did, but I do apologize to both for an unintended slur," Knotts says.

However, the Free-Times, a Columbia newspaper, reports that Knotts went further in his comments after the show was over. The paper published an article claiming he repeated the use of the term "raghead," and said that Haley was "programmed to run for governor of South Carolina by outside influences in foreign countries."

A second source backs up the content of that report.

WLTX repeatedly reached out to Knotts for comment Friday, but he has so far not agreed to an interview."

wltx.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=88260&catid=2

Why do you even mention Democrats here? They are not 'dumping slurs' unless they put words in that Republican's mouth.

[/quote]

Wow! Now it's the Democratic tag team! :rolleyes:

State Reps are about equivalent to a county sheriff in national importance. We have a recession that is receding only for the well-off. We have massive unemployment. We have a horrific oil spill in the Gulf. We have Iran about to go nuclear. We have an ally (some don't think them so, granted) getting piled on in the Middle East. We have former allies receding from us because of our weakness and irresolution. We have a Vietnam-like, escalating war in Afganistan and Pakistan. We have a federal government so immured in political motivations that state governors are forced to act as if the federal government disappeared. We have wild spending that absolutely promises to result in massive interest rate increases and a consequent deep recession. We have health insurance costs about to go beyond the ability of people to buy it due to government action. We have elderly people wondering whether the cuts in Medicare are going to cause them to do without necessary treatment. We have the most pro-abortion government this country ever had.

But we really do need to get concerned about some ignorant state rep's alleged ethnic slur because he's a Republican. (Never mind those of Democrat national figures, and we all know who they are.)

Guess I can't blame Democrats too awfully much for wanting to distract with things like stories about some Repub state rep who (maybe) uttered a (misplaced in any event) ethnic slur. Will some Repub ward committeeman be next? Probably will be. Maybe a dogcatcher in Texarkana? :)

SOOO transparent!

I live in the county they both represent here in SC. The big thing down here isn't b/c they're both Republican; it's b/c Knotts is such a bafoon & good 'ol boy and Hailey actually represents some honesty in poltics. Knotts is your classic politician set-up from the beginning of his political career to be a puppet for various private parties.

[quote="wabrams, post:12, topic:201214"]
I live in the county they both represent here in SC. The big thing down here isn't b/c they're both Republican; it's b/c Knotts is such a bafoon & good 'ol boy and Hailey actually represents some honesty in poltics. Knotts is your classic politician set-up from the beginning of his political career to be a puppet for various private parties.

[/quote]

Since you're a "local", I will defer to your characterization of Knotts as a buffoon. There are lots of buffoons in politics, and not only in SC and not only on the state level.

No, my observation simply was that the resident Democrat supporters repeatedly create threads here slamming Republicans wherever they find them and no matter how little those Republicans matter compared to the very serious political issues before the country right now. Maybe if I was a party supporter (I'm not anymore) I would do the same thing if the national scene wasn't looking particularly good for my party. But I doubt it. I think I would be wanting to find some success somewhere that my party had engineered. As a former Democrat party campaigner myself, that's always what I tried to do. But maybe times have changed. Because of the party's elevation of abortion to its top priority, and my refusal to support that, I'll admit I have been away from Democrat political participation for quite some while.

To be fair, I will have to say that jjdrury took a swipe at Obama the other day for not being liberal enough. So, it isn't always Repubs that the CAF Democrat faithful start threads about.

[quote="Ridgerunner, post:13, topic:201214"]
No, my observation simply was that the resident Democrat supporters repeatedly create threads here slamming Republicans wherever they find them and no matter how little those Republicans matter compared to the very serious political issues before the country right now.

[/quote]

Well, that's surely ad hominem. You criticize posters for pointing out a silly statement? Then you say this is somehow Democratic tactics?

Deal with the thread issues here.

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:15, topic:201214"]
Well, that's surely ad hominem. You criticize posters for pointing out a silly statement? Then you say this is somehow Democratic tactics?

Deal with the thread issues here.

[/quote]

No. I'm not making an "ad hominem" argument concerning the topic itself or any of the people in the story. Knotts could be just as big a horse's tail as some think, and his detractors could be exactly correct about him. I was simply observing that sometimes in here the Democrat apologias consist in slamming of Republicans in terribly trivial ways, whereas there are far more important issues that Democrats ought to be addressing. The nitpicking of individuals of no real consequence except locally, simply because they're Republicans is, itself, an indirect, "ad hominem" argument against Republicans' policies, philosophies and/or beliefs. You have to know that's true. "Republicans are wrong and we're, therefore, right. See, here's a Republican who used an ethnic slur term. That shows you what they are and how they think."

You're actually a better advocate than that, counselor. :)

[quote="Ridgerunner, post:13, topic:201214"]

No, my observation simply was that the resident Democrat supporters repeatedly create threads here slamming Republicans wherever they find them and no matter how little those Republicans matter compared to the very serious political issues before the country right now.

[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote="Ridgerunner, post:16, topic:201214"]
No. I'm not making an "ad hominem" argument concerning the topic itself or any of the people in the story.

[/quote]

Actually you did. Particularly where you doubted that Knotts said what he did.

I was simply observing that sometimes in here the Democrat apologias consist in slamming of Republicans in terribly trivial ways, whereas there are far more important issues that Democrats ought to be addressing.

[/quote]

So, every time some one mentions a dumb thing done by Republicans, its a statement by a Democrat? Sure. And every time someone criticizes the president it is being done by a racist who needs to criticize bias in this country.:shrug:

Deal with the issue.

No. I'm not making an "ad hominem" argument concerning the topic itself or any of the people in the story. Knotts could be just as big a horse's tail as some think, and his detractors could be exactly correct about him. I was simply observing that sometimes in here the Democrat apologias consist in slamming of Republicans in terribly trivial ways, whereas there are far more important issues that Democrats ought to be addressing. The nitpicking of individuals of no real consequence except locally, simply because they're Republicans is, itself, an indirect, "ad hominem" argument against Republicans' policies, philosophies and/or beliefs. You have to know that's true. "Republicans are wrong and we're, therefore, right. See, here's a Republican who used an ethnic slur term. That shows you what they are and how they think."

You're actually a better advocate than that, counselor. :)

[/quote]

Not to mention, Salon.com did an article on this pressing issue of national importance.

Of course, the goal is not to condemn this person (rightly so) of their actions, but to claim somehow that this incident is a microcosm of party poltitics (while ignoring the former Sikh is in the same party).

The way to "deal with the issue" is to admit racism and predjudice still exists, condemn the person, and move on.

I doubt we'll see any salon.com articles lauding the GOP for the number of women and minority candidates running this election cycle, do you?

Two Questions:

Did you know who Knotts was before this story broke?
Why should anyopne care what he said?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.