Rahm Emanuel expected to quit White House

Rahm Emanuel, the White House chief of staff, is expected to leave his job later this year after growing tired of the "idealism" of Barack Obama's inner circle.

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/7837686/Rahm-Emanuel-expected-to-quit-White-House.html

When he accepted the position, Emanuel said he would only serve for two years, so this isn't unexpected. And if he is serious about running for Mayor of Chicago in 2011 (is Daley ready to leave?) then he needs to be in Chicago to organize. The filing deadline for the election is in six months.

[quote="Dale_M, post:2, topic:202608"]
When he accepted the position, Emanuel said he would only serve for two years, so this isn't unexpected. And if he is serious about running for Mayor of Chicago in 2011 (is Daley ready to leave?) then he needs to be in Chicago to organize. The filing deadline for the election is in six months.

[/quote]

Is that common that the Chief of staff would leave only after 2 years? I would think he would serve at least one term (4 years).

[quote="canadianguy1143, post:3, topic:202608"]
Is that common that the Chief of staff would leave only after 2 years? I would think he would serve at least one term (4 years).

[/quote]

I can't say I've paid much attention to the position, but apparently its a very high stress job. According to Wikipedia, the average length of service during the past few decades is 2.5 years.

Here is a listing of chiefs of staff during the past 40 years, and the periods they served:
blogs.middlebury.edu/presidentialpower/files/2010/03/chief-of-staff1.jpg

[quote="gilliam, post:1, topic:202608"]
Rahm Emanuel, the White House chief of staff, is expected to leave his job later this year after growing tired of the "idealism" of Barack Obama's inner circle.

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/7837686/Rahm-Emanuel-expected-to-quit-White-House.html

[/quote]

Wasn't he the one responsible for hand-picking those inner circle members?

Creepy dude.

Filthy mouth.

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You.
Love, Dawn

[quote="DawnInTexas, post:6, topic:202608"]
Creepy dude.

Filthy mouth.

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You.
Love, Dawn

[/quote]

Good description!

Rahm can't leave soon enough. He is a hypomanic personality, abusive to his charges, and very reluctant to compromise. The breakneck speed and course of this administration smacks of Rahm, for I beleive he is the one steering the country.

It might actually be possible for Mr Obama to save his presidency by getting rid of Rahm. We'll see :)

[quote="Toplink_pin, post:8, topic:202608"]
Rahm can't leave soon enough. He is a hypomanic personality, abusive to his charges, and very reluctant to compromise. The breakneck speed and course of this administration smacks of Rahm, for I beleive he is the one steering the country.

It might actually be possible for Mr Obama to save his presidency by getting rid of Rahm. We'll see :)

[/quote]

Unless Obama does a 180 degree turn on most of his policies - foreign policy, economic policy, social policy, the biggest of which is his pro-abortion stand - I don't want to see his presidency saved. :nope:

[quote="Toplink_pin, post:8, topic:202608"]

[/quote]

Nah.....another just like him is probably lurking on the sidelines being prepped and vetted to make absolutely certain they are marching to the beat of the same drum.

I agree very little will change. I was being facetious saying that perhaps Mr Obama would come to his senses :)

I found it interesting that this administration was stacked with former Clinton people. Almost like a Clinton re-do. Curious to see if others in that clique will jump ship too.

Rahm has a mouth like a sewer and this is something that even Obama has said in his speeches, but I remember during the whole KSM fiasco about being tried in NYC, it was reported that Rahm was against it but that Eric Holder was adamant on him trying in NY. In my opinion, Holder is worse than Rahm but not by much!

While the official line may be to say that Emanuel is departing for his family, or because of a desire to run for Mayor of Chicago, don't be surprised if he is being pushed out. He is likely closely tied to the Blago scandal and by saying he is leaving ahead of time there is a better possibility of protecting the president from one more scandal in which political favors were exchanged in an attempt to affect the outcome of an election. There are similar between what Blago did in the Illinois Senate race and what the Administration did in two different Senate races. Thus this may be an attempt to distance Obama from Emanuel, before Emanuel's role is out in the open.

nbcchicago.com/news/local-beat/Rahm-Traded-Favors-with-Blago-Report-96812049.html

Thanks for getting my hopes up, but.....
blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2010/06/rahm_emanuel_bs_to_story_he_is.html

Good. I would like to see a progressive fill the role.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.