Rainbow Sash Movement to attempt sacrelige

cwnews.com/offtherecord/offtherecord.cfm?task=singledisplay&recnum=4246

So, what are our obligations here? I doubt that any of these folks will show up at my particular parish, but I’m quite sure at least some of them will show up at either the National Basilica of the Immaculate Conception or St. Matthew’s Cathedral–the hub of the Archdiocese of Washington. Are we supposed to sit on our hands, or simply pray, while these folks go up for Communion? What if the priest willingly–or ignorantly–gives them Communion? What if they decide to make a scene a la St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York a few years back?

I am not going to lose any sleep over it. Like you, I doubt that they will come to my Parish but if they did I would expect that our Bishop has educated his Priests in how to deal with the situation. It is not as if the Bishops do not know this is coming. I will most definitely pray that God will guide the Bishops in dealing with this firmly and gracefully.

I have been to a mass where this happened. And no one did anything, but the priest would not give the Holy Eucharist to those who were wearing the sash. It actually looked ridicules on the part of the rainbow sash wears, because they acted as if they had every right to receive. Although there were some who just went up and got the blessing from the priest and left without arguing.

I suppose all you should do is pray for those who show up with the sash and show Christian love.

They just don’t have the light of grace at present to understand the reasons why it’s wrong. Their typical response is the same: the Church is homophobic, hateful, patriatrical, and arbitrary with their “rules”. Just continue to pray for them.

If you are not the priest you have no obligation at all in such a situation except to go on reverently participating in the Mass. Only the priest has the right and duty to make a judgement in such a situation.

I disagree. We all have an obligation to ensure that our priests are aware of what situation and what the sashes mean (and how to respond… maybe a prayer for blessing but NO Communion). If we notice our priest or EMHCs giving out Communion to these people, then it is our duty to speak with them after mass and inform them. ALL members of the parish share in the responsibility of protecting our Sacrament Most Holy.

If I were you I would call the Chancery and ask for directions on what to do. If the Bishop directs not to give communion then I would deny it if it is OK with him, is Ok with me.

A Catholic Deacon

And what if the Chancery says to not worry about it? Obey when you know they are wrong? :shrug: I don’t think I could do that.

~Liza

I cant get the link to work I have to do something with my explorer but Im guessing whats this is about.

Id say Part 2 with the first being marriage. Right now the priests and pastors are not forced to marry but what about the day they put on sashes and push the issue.

If they would push taking commumion if I understand whats happening, push marriage push they are not sinners is the agenda plain and simple.

I think a similar thing happened here in Sydney a couple of years ago. The Cardinal who was at the main church simply refused to give communion.

Liza,
If you are an EMHC and you asked the priest and the Chancery and they told you not to worry about it, you would have 2 choices:[LIST=1]
*]not worry about it and distribute communion to them, or
*]resign your position as an EMHC[/LIST]Either you have to submit to the authority that commissioned you to be an EMHC or if you feel they are grievously wrong, you would have to excuse yourself from being an EMHC. As an EMHC, you are not the judge of such people, you are a representative of the Church. As wrong as you believe these people are, you would be just as wrong as they are if you disobey your bishop.

Hmmm, a clarification…if I may? If your fully formed conscience directs you to disobey your Bishop in this matter the proper mode would be to excuse yourself from being an EMHC. You can personally disagree with the Bishop’s decision and resign as an EMHC to privately protest that…as long as you don’t make it a scandal. It would not be proper and you would be wrong to remain an EMHC and refuse to follow the Bishop’s directives.

I think she said that - but thank you for the clarification.

I would have to resign my position if I were in that situation. I know what my Church teaches, and if I know that I am being told to do something that is contrary to those teachings, I would have to step down.

~Liza

I really don’t see how a priest can refuse communion to someone because of a sash, yet give communion to others who internally aren’t living the life of a faithful Catholic.

Here is the correct response.

1. Dress up like Nestorius, Henry VIII, John Calvin or Martin Luther.

2. Set up a table outside the Chuch.

3. Unfold a big sign declaring today “Come Dressed as your Favorite Heretic Day

4.After Mass, give the Rainbow Sasher’s a trophy for “Best Costume” and encourage the crowd to give them a huge round of applause.

You said it in your own post. The priest would have no way of knowing what his parishoners are doing in private. However, the sash wearers are publicly proclaiming that they are living in sin, have no intention of repenting, and that the church and God are wrong. See the difference?

Canon Law says that those in “Manifest Grave Sin” should not be admitted to Communion.

Manifest means to make publically known, which is exactly what the Rainbow Sasher’s are doing.

And you hit on the key point in your post “others who INTERNALY aren’t living the live of a faithful Catholic

INTERNAL Sins are, by definition, not Manifest Sins.

Okay, thanks, both of you, for the clarification. I wonder if the priest would first ask the person wearing the sash whether or not they were being on the up-and-up with their Catholic faith. Like, maybe someone unbeknowing sees a rainbow sash at the mall and thinks it’s just a new fashion accessory. I’ve seen this happen with those male earrings in the 90s. Some men were getting a piercing in their left ear, not realizing that it was a gay statement.

If the person is wearing the sash to make a statement, either social or political in the hopes of drawing attention to his/hers personal cause, then the act of receiving the Eucharist becomes their own personal statement, which contradicts the unity we signify by eating from The One Bread and drinking from The One Cup. However the decision of what constitutes a statement is reserved to the Bishop not the Communion Minister.

In His love

A Catholic Deacon

Great idea!!!:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.