Rainbow Six: Patriots’

This is scary and out of hand already - and since when did OWS become right winger extremists??? :confused:

theblaze.com/stories/anti-wall-street-terrorists-strike-nyc-in-upcoming-video-game-rainbow-six-patriots/

The next installment of Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Franchise will feature terrorists who strike New York City in “retaliation for the greed of Wall Street and the government that acts to protect them.”

In the released footage from the game, the story kicks off when a man with an attractive wife in a comfortable home is kidnapped by a gang of ruthless class warfare thugs who threaten to slit the throats of his wife and child if he doesn’t detonate a suicide vest in Times Square.

It's like their prepping the youths for this [stuff] :eek:

[quote="Charlotte408, post:1, topic:266911"]
This is scary and out of hand already - and since when did OWS become right winger extremists??? :confused:

[/quote]

I don't think the plot concerns Occupy Wall Street, but concerns the militia movement of the far right wing Members and organizations of that movement often refers to themselves as patriots. I will quote from the game's official website:

In Tom Clancy’s Rainbow 6 Patriots, Team Rainbow faces a new and very real threat called the “True Patriots,” a highly-trained, well-organized revolutionary group that claim the American government is irrevocably corrupted by greedy politicians and corporate special interests. The True Patriots will do whatever it takes to reclaim their country. Playing as Rainbow, players will face critical scenarios that will require them to make tough ethical decisions in order to stop this new breed of terrorists.

rainbow6.ubi.com/patriots/en-US/

I don't know maybe I'm wrong but the people *I *see protesting 'Wall Street' is are the liberals and OWS...

I see rightwingers protesting the government...

Sorry to stereotype and speak in generalizations.

It seems to me, that they are taking the OWS M.O and calling them right wing extremists.

After all, it is the OWS not right wingers calling for all this civil revolt..right wingers had town hall meetings :shrug:

**Either way omigawww these games are wayy out of control!

[quote="Charlotte408, post:4, topic:266911"]
It seems to me, that they are taking the OWS M.O and calling them right wing extremists.

After all, it is the OWS not right wingers calling for all this civil revolt..right wingers had town hall meetings

[/quote]

Oh, I think you have the wrong idea. OWS activists, for all their faults, do not form para-military organizations. The militia movement seems to belong to the extreme right-wing. Remember, we are talking about extremists, not garden variety activists.

What a shame....I liked the other Rainbow Six video games, especially Rainbow Six: Vegas II.

A valid point was mentioned in one of the comments on that page, that the game has likely been in development since before the whole OWS thing. Nothing in the article seems to give any real evidence that anything in the game associates the OWS protesters with the right wing; it doesn't appear to have anything really to do with OWS at all for that matter. Another poster on 'the Blaze', of course, seems to beg to differ: "I don’t know who reviewed this but they got it wrong. You are not OWS in the game. You GET TO KILL OWS IN THE GAME!!!!! Now, that‘s my kinda friggin’ GAME!!!!" So opines "the blue morpho."

See now this is where we are all confused - because I for sure am.

I watched the preview-demo, and it starts with militant guys with guns coming into someone’s house, a wall street execs house, and kidnapping the daughter and mother, saying they are going to slit their throats.

That’s not going after and killing wall street protestors. That’s going after wall street, the people who profitted from the bailouts. In fact that’s exactly what the opening guy says “you’ve profitted from the bailouts and foreclosures…now were going to take it back” sort of thing…((OWS mindframe))

Now, I know right wingers ((extremists)) are stereotyped as ‘militant’.

And I know they ‘cling to their guns’.

But this is not their MO. So far as I know rightwingers support capitalism, free market, etc etc…This game, IMHO, is what the OWS would be if they had their way…

Either way it’s just wrong.

And the game is showing these hybrid rightist/leftist extremists as the BAD GUYS that you, the gamer, have to go out and drill holes through.

Much as I admit to the visceral appeal of these games (and movie lines for that matter), I object to the emotional manipulation that portrays “bad guys” as so utterly inhuman and monstrous that the only good outcome is for them to be butchered brutally.

I, for one, am not entirely sure that is a good idea and part of me wonders if the wide support for the death penalty in this country is related to this common phenomenon in media. Real bad guys generally are 3 dimensional, and the gospel calls for us to continue seeing them as human beings, not monsters.

[quote="manualman, post:10, topic:266911"]
I, for one, am not entirely sure that is a good idea and part of me wonders if the wide support for the death penalty in this country is related to this common phenomenon in media. Real bad guys generally are 3 dimensional, and the gospel calls for us to continue seeing them as human beings, not monsters.

[/quote]

I agree with your comment about the gospel, and I accept the Church's teaching on the death penalty and giving each person as much time as possible to find their way to God and reconcile with him asking forgiveness for the evil they've done. 
 However, I don't think the media has anything to do with support for the death penalty. It was widely accepted prior to any national influential media. I think support has far more to do with the evil some people are willing to perform. Are you familiar with John Wayne Gacy,  or the trio of Dean Corll, David Brooks and Elmer Wayne Henley?  Fascinating reading if you have the stomach for it are the accounts of FBI profilers like John Douglas about what various serial killers do to their victims. I think those and incidents like the woman being burned alive in an elevator recently have far more to do with support for the death penalty.

[quote="Charlotte408, post:8, topic:266911"]

That's not going after and killing wall street protestors. That's going after wall street, the people who profitted from the bailouts. In fact that's exactly what the opening guy says "you've profitted from the bailouts and foreclosures..now were going to take it back" sort of thing...((OWS mindframe))

[/quote]

Actually, that would be a populist mindframe. Populism can be left wing or it can be right wing. Certainly many commentators have observed the similarities between the OWS and Tea Party crowd, despite their many differences.

But, again, I would caution that both of those groups are garden variety activists. And the game concerns the actions of extremists.

I haven't played Rainbow Six since Rogue Spear.....

Do they still allow you to plan out the entire mission? I use to love to see if the NPC teams could complete the mission on their own!

They didn’t in Rainbow Six: Vegas, or Vegas II, which are the only two I’ve ever played. Those two were fairly linear.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.