Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man

Has anyone here read it and enjoyed it?

I have it in my library, haven't got around to reading it but have some spare time and would like to start.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I have but for some reason, don't recall much of it any longer since it was a long while ago.

I do recall thinking it was "ok" at the time and was a pretty quick read.

I read the first 50 pages and skimmed the rest. I wrote a paper on it in college. I couldn’t tell you what it was about. I do recall it not being terrible, though. :o

I've taught it a few times as part of an African-American Lit course. My opinion, it's one of the top five American novels. It's incredible in the way it describes what it was like to be an African-American at the time, and it does so on a physical, metaphysical, spiritual, legal, social, national, etc. basis. It does all this without being the most difficult read. I call it an easy read and a difficult think as so much is being said on various levels. It's a book you can read over and over and always get something new from.

With that said, it's not a happy book where everything is wrapped up in a bow and everyone lives happily ever after. So, if you are hoping for that, forget it, and there are some violent and downright disturbing scenes in it —*particularly the beginning and a dream sequence about 3/4 of the way in.

Thanks for the info. Even though I majored in English I haven't gotten around to it yet.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.