Ramadan breaking fast

Not a thread for Muslim bashers.

AsSalum o Aleikum,

I was told that Mahomed (pbuh) would break fast with water and dates and hasten to prayer. (Not that it matters but this sits with my sense of what is good to do and it is what we do at home.)

I went to Iftar at a fiends the other night and was offered milk, dates and a huge feed to break fast.

I politely asked if i may have a drink of water and was given it.
I ate some of the food as i did not want to offend, the Sister had gone to much trouble and for me Allah is most forgiving.

Later the Brother challenged me asking if i can drink milk saying “the prophet (pbuh) said never refuse 2 things milk and dates” maybe not word 4 word.

This is common 4 me with Islam one brother pulls this way and the other another.

What do you guys think is best and what should one do in theses situations?

Well, you’re in the wrong forum in one way. This is a Catholic site, and we’d be loathe to advise you on Moslem apologetics. Whatever we do say is going to be from a Catholic viewpoint, and not Moslem.

So what I’ve done is to put in an extract from the Catholic Catechism on “conscience”. After all what you’re asking is adjucation on an area of conscience, but the trouble is that the situation operates within your own belief system. In the end, your own conscience has to deal with the question.

The extract is below. It’s a shorter version of the commentary on “conscience”.

IN BRIEF

1795 “Conscience is man’s most secret core, and his sanctuary. There he is alone with God whose voice echoes in his depths” (GS 16).

1796 Conscience is a judgment of reason by which the human person recognizes the moral quality of a concrete act.

1797 For the man who has committed evil, the verdict of his conscience remains a pledge of conversion and of hope.

1798 A well-formed conscience is upright and truthful. It formulates its judgments according to reason, in conformity with the true good willed by the wisdom of the Creator. Everyone must avail himself of the means to form his conscience.

1799 Faced with a moral choice, conscience can make either a right judgment in accordance with reason and the divine law or, on the contrary, an erroneous judgment that departs from them.

1800 A human being must always obey the certain judgment of his conscience.

1801 Conscience can remain in ignorance or make erroneous judgments. Such ignorance and errors are not always free of guilt.

1802 The Word of God is a light for our path. We must assimilate it in faith and prayer and put it into practice. This is how moral conscience is formed.

Peace and blessings Robert, sorry thought i posted in the Non-Catholic Religions section.

I appreciate your correction as to what can be asked of people from other religions here, I will withdrawn being a forum supporter and will make no more financial contributions.

Thought you being a worshipper of Allah, you would have left it for Muslims to answer given it was their customs i asked of.

I am well aware of my catechism and in my post spoke for my conscience.

As anyone can see what you offered has nothing to do with the customs i asked of, given they are non catholic like the title of the forum thought it a no brainier.

Having said that i do appreciate your care for me even if you totally missed my question.

I apologise to CAF for misunderstanding the opportunity in the forum Robert has now corrected me but you should have never let so many threads go unchecked.

Bless ya Robert and praise Him that you worship the same God as Muslims

If you are asking which person was right, this isn’t the place to ask. This is a discussion forum, and asking a Q&A question about Islam would leave majority the posters unable to give you a right answer or join in the discussion.

If you need to know, try to PM one of the Muslim posters. They should be happy to answer that question.

Hello Steven john:), Just curious,what is your religion?From the beginning(since when I came here) I am little confused about your religion.Are you catholic or non Catholic or non Christian(like Muslim or others)?

I was asking for discussion thats why i said think, i did not consider there would be an absolute answer as the question was covered hadiths, customs and respect for individuals.

I considered being a non catholic section and many muslims post here it would be a great place for discussion.

Peace and blessings Morning star, we have done this B4.
Please remember Muslims here are not like where u r.

Bless ya both and input is appreciated, praise b 2 G-d

Steven John, the non Catholic Religions section is for discussion of non Catholic religions but it is on the Catholic Answers website. It stands to reason that it is for the discussion of said religions from a Catholic viewpoint. There are a myriad of Islamic forums on the net where these questions can be asked.

Or perhaps the local imam?

I don’t know what your Koran teaches, go consult that and try to figure it out. But if your Muhammad loved milk and dates and thats what you and other Muslims (I’m guessing your a Muslim even though it doesn’t state that) aspire to be like then eat milk and dates.

But I have to agree with the Catholics here, even though its a Non-Catholic section, I think it means that you discuss other religions in relation to Christianity not a personal place for Muslims to discuss their diets.

Next time you go to mosque go ask your Mullah or Imam or the guy that heads up the joint.

Why are you even asking Catholics, they wouldn’t know or even care what a Muslim should do. It’s kind of like me going to a group of professional golf players and asking them about basketball, sure they are both sports but the two have nothing to do with each other.

Wait a second here, not once when reading scripture or reading articles from CA did it say Catholics worship the same God which would be Allah (I’m considering to become Catholic).

Is Steven John confused or wrong?

The reason I want to become Catholic is Jesus’ teachings, they make sense, nothing about diets or what clothes to wear or petty things like that. No offense Steven John, I didn’t like the Koran, didn’t seem like it was from a divine source to me like the Gospels (some parts actually sickened me, no offense, maybe I misinterpreted some things).

So tell me it’s Jesus I would be worshiping if I became a Catholic and not Allah in disguise. I don’t like to find out down the road that there is a connection between the Jesus and Allah, because it’s clear to me from reading the texts the two are polar opposites.

I really love Jesus’ teachings, I don’t know why each day I grow more close to what he says, a priest said it’s the Holy Spirit calling me, whatever it is, there is something special about Jesus.

If Catholics worship Allah then I’d rather be a Protestant. I don’t want to worship Allah, when I do commit to worshiping a higher power, I would want it to be the God that Jesus speaks of, the Father, not the God that Islam speaks of. You do not know (well, you guys are Catholic so you do know) how comforting it is to view God as a Father not as someone far away and unknown (I have a close relationship with my own father and in my own way I relate to that type of relationship).

The reason I choose Catholicism is because it can actually trace its origin to Jesus the other churches start with Martin Luther and that to me is a red flag of inauthentecity. Still I would rather search them out if it’s true what Steven John says.

So be honest with me on this one. I’m talking to this priest I meet from a church I visited and I’ll ask him to (really cool down to earth guy, didn’t push anything on me, no take RCIA now!, gave me some pamphlets and let me borrow a book too).

I’m pretty sure your wrong Steven John, but best of luck with your diet and fasting.

Bless you Matthew, i really covered this in earlier post what i was looking for i thought i explained my intention was to ask the Muslims here we share with.

Dear Steven, as many have anwered in this forum, maybe you should try yahoo chat or some other sites for I find even my questions have remained unanswered by many a moslems as maybe they avoid certain questions, and join in discussions only on some which they are well versed.

Well, as being with moslem community most of the time, I find the fasting to them is a feasting for me, and do put on a lot of weight. As I cant say no to them, I join in their breakfast as well as my regular food and have put on a lot of weight. For that matter many a moslems too put on a lot of weight during this season. So I dont understand at all this fasting method.

I find most smokers just wait for the azan to light the cigarette as if they are forced by someone not to smoke. On their own, they dont give up something for a whole month like Christians do but only for some hours only.

Hope you get your answer thru some other source.

wolverine

http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon13.gif for your statement… :dts:.

and as for your original question, you could start by the dates because its sufficient per this hadith:

Sunan Abu-Dawud, Book 13, Number 2348:
Narrated Salman ibn Amir:
The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: When one of you is fasting, he should break his fast with dates; but if he cannot get any, then (he should break his fast) with water, for water is purifying.

(E)

Ok, no problem. I would then recommend the title of the thread to read for Muslims only since non-Muslims won’t be any real help. Good luck with figuring out what to eat.

The Catechism teaches u we adore the same God. Muslims worship Allah therefore Catholics worship Allah.

Yes the understanding of Muslims and Christians as to the nature of G-d / Allah is different.

You have not offended me in any way.

B blessed be guided

Amen to that, if only i knew how to change it, too late now i think.

Bless ya Matthew pray well and stay well

yes there are many i could discuss it with but as offered in earlier posts it was the Muslims here i wanted to discuss with.

Well, as being with moslem community most of the time, I find the fasting to them is a feasting for me, and do put on a lot of weight. As I cant say no to them, I join in their breakfast as well as my regular food and have put on a lot of weight. For that matter many a moslems too put on a lot of weight during this season. So I dont understand at all this fasting method.

Yes most Muslims i know don’t like this, here in Australia we have communities that just become nocturnal and sleep the day away.

I find most smokers just wait for the azan to light the cigarette as if they are forced by someone not to smoke. On their own, they dont give up something for a whole month like Christians do but only for some hours only.

Maybe its not of force but of help, you are right in what you are thinking, isnt G-d able to help His all the time, IMO of course but iknow that in Lent, Advent and Ramadan and when we (Christians) fast for prayer intentions He really does empower me. I always pray i will have this strength beyond the fasts.

Hope you get your answer thru some other source

easy done but as said the answer i was looking 4 is discussion here with those i already share with.

Blessings to u and yours

Blessings to you Dear Brother for your help but most for correcting me.
My reaction was not of the spirit but of the flesh.

I am corrected and ask Robert and CAF forgive me.

Again Bless you much Brother Sam for guiding me to the right path

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.