Rand Paul: "Trump Derangement Syndrome" Has Gone Over The Top And People Have Lost The Big Picture

A bit of sanity from Rand Paul:

“I think people have gotten over top on this and lost the big picture,” Paul said. “The big picture is that we should be engaged with Russia. We should have conversations with Russia. We have serious conflicts in various parts of the globe. It would be a mistake not to have open lines of communication with them.”

“Instead of making this about everything’s about Trump and accusing Trump of collusion with the Russians and all this craziness, that’s not true, we should try to protect the integrity of our elections,” Sen. Paul also said. “Nobody is talking about protecting the integrity of the elections. How would you protect the integrity of the elections? Make sure they’re decentralized. Make sure there’s very good controls from the precinct on up. Make sure we’re not storing the data in a central area where there aren’t checks and balances at the local area. There are a lot of ways to make sure our election is not tampered with.”

There are times when I disagree with certain things rand says but it’s always nice to hear him come off as a serious adult in the conversation. That’s sorely needed on both sides of the aisle.

We could use a little of it on the forum as well.

**> PAUL: But I would put this in perspective, Wolf. Doug Levine looked at this from the Carnegie Mellon Institute and he looked at it from 1946 to 2000. And he found 81 times that the U.S. involved themselves and meddled in elections of foreign countries 36 times than the Soviet Union did. **
**> **
> It doesn’t make it right, but I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. Any country that can spy does and any country that can meddle in foreign elections does. All countries are doing this. But we’ve elevated this to a higher degree and we have made this all about the sour grapes of Hillary Clinton losing the election and it’s all about partisan politics now. This is truly the Trump derangement syndrome that motivates all of this.

Yep.

Thank you for posting this. Rand Paul makes sense and isn’t afraid to take a stand. He talks in logic and does it eloquently. I would love to have him as president.

I mostly agree with Rand. Our democracy isn’t run by adults. Neither the leaders nor the people are adultlike. We can get away with this while our wealth remains. But this gift is slowly being squandered. One day America will wake up and face a very unpleasant future. And all our enemies (the ones we made enemies) will want their revenge. I wouldn’t blame them.

Same on us for letting it happen. Shame on them for getting caught. We are probabaly trying to do it all over the world.

I find it funny how some who insisted Western governments should have talks with the Taliban are unwilling to talk with Russia. It’s this kind of inconsistency that breeds cynicism among the electorate. Trump selling out America and NATO is another issue and there are plenty of those threads clogging up the forum where you can discuss that topic. Just pointing out this irritating aspect of politics.

I don’t like Rand Paul’s free market idolatry and pro-drugs views but he being someone who understands religious freedom and not being a war monger makes him an OK politician.

I am not consistently a fan of Rand Paul but I am glad to see this. I am really alarmed at how Trump’s media enemies seized on this Putin Helsinki meeting with such vengeance. I am ok with substantive criticism, along with well-deserved praise, but what we saw was so crazy, hysterical, one-sided - ahistorical. We don’t need Russian meddling in this country, so many in power are hellbent on our own destruction. It is like they are under the influence of a drug. And I don’t mean Trump or Rand Paul here either.

What was unusual about it was that it wasn’t Trump’s usual ‘media enemies’ who got upset by it, or not only them.

Who is unwilling to talk with Russia? Anyone?

I agree. I don’t want Trump to cave in to Russia. Shut down our surveillance, let them take over. But when I ask myself is this what he is doing, consciously or unconsciously, I conclude no. We all know that Trump refuses to follow scripts, is his own worst enemy on Twitter, speaks his mind freely, inappropriately on occasion. Why is this one comment about Russia not meddling different? He and Putin both hate the Russian meddling thing. They don’t want to talk about it; it didn’t affect anything. Obama should have done something about it long ago. It has been going on in all recent elections. Public knowledge. It is a non-issue. Putin won’t talk to the US on a bigger scale if we keep this up; of course he knows Russia does this. We talk to North Korea, right? What about that Iran deal? We don’t go into international negotiations with laundry lists of hot topics of dispute. Human rights violations in China. Rarely mentioned. Again, why is this different? So fatal?? Trump did not collude with Russia; he is fighting for his life against these false accusations. He is not a fan of the intelligence community right now. This does not make him a Red. There is no logic to support any of these charges of collusion. None. This is a Red Herring. And it is undercutting America’s chances to reach key agreements with Russia on a global scale. That is the real scandal. I predict it won’t work.

There were a number of people who were urging Trump to cancel the summit. I’m surprised a non-American would know of this but not an American.

It was all right for the US to do it because we are on the American side.

Yes. Rand Paul does make a lot of sense, unlike many of the other po lie ticians.

Cancelling one summit does not equate to being unwilling (without qualification ) to talk.

It’s different because the left does not want Trump to possibly work out problems with Russia, and doesn’t care what happens if they get worse as long as Trump is hurt. And so, Mueller indicts a bunch of Russians right before a summit meeting in hopes it will sour relations further, and the left media goes nuts over this statement. They would have howled anyway about something.

They don’t want him to succeed, and want to turn as many Americans against him as possible. Not much more to know.

The MSM and many others are doing everything they can to derail the Trump presidency.

Free markets are at the center of Libertarian thinking. Along with open borders but with a caveat.

Rand, however, has learned to be a politician and gives a President some slack. In fairness he did it for Obama too, confirming his nominees among other things.

That would be a first.

Not much different than the wheat deal Nixon made with Russia. Or maybe it is different.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.