Rand Paul visits with civil rights leaders in Ferguson - St. Louis Post Dispatch

Rand Paul visits with civil rights leaders in Ferguson

stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/rand-paul-visits-with-civil-rights-leaders-in-ferguson/article_62aa962b-273e-5532-b98d-a7c338aa11e9.html

Rand Paul, a Republican senator from Kentucky and expected presidential candidate in 2016, visited with civil rights leaders and others in Ferguson this morning.

E. Andreal Hoosman, broker/owner with Haywood Hoosman Realty, in Ferguson, a member of the executive committee of the St. Louis County NAACP, said about 30 civil rights and community leaders met with Paul at her office.

I wasn’t planning on posting this however since I noted a post in the apologetics section on this: Paul’s message to Furguson, St. Louis and all! , perhaps there is something to discuss here. The story does not have much to discuss specifically. Interestingly, the post is in regards to the words of St. Paul. The topic merits discussion nonetheless.

I’d say a good move by Senator Rand Paul.

Rand Paul’s Lonely Road to Ferguson - nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2014/10/10/?entry=2138

Yes, I agree. 2016 is right around the corner and he’s probably laying the groundwork.

Do you mean to suggest Rand Paul is not meeting with civil rights leaders because of his genuine concern for what has happened and is happening in Ferguson as well as his concern about race relations in general? Shocking, I say! Of course, Hillary Clinton has barely even spoken about the event at all.

Why take inaccurate slams at Hillary when Rand Paul is the subject of the thread? It gets very old. Clinton spoke out about Ferguson back in August, and anyone who is unaware of the Clintons’ stand on racial injustice has just not been paying attention.

OTOH, Rand Paul has a lot of catching up to do, and people do not know his position. He’s employed an aide who was a neo-Confederate activist, a campaign spokesperson who had racist comments about lynchings and white supremacy on his social media page, and has said private property rights trump discrimination and he would not have supported the Civil Rights Act had he been in Congress in 1964.

I am a Hillary supporter but I call 'em as I sees 'em. Hillary came late to the party and even her supporters have criticized her for that. My main point is that nearly all politicians are opportunists when it comes to matters such as this. I agree with you that Rand Paul’s libertarian views can be dangerous, particularly for social justice issues. Yet, compared to some of the other GOP hopefuls, he may be one of the more likely Presidential candidates for the 2016 general election, perhaps in part due to the aura he has received from his father.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.