Random curiosity- can the church deny a convalidation?

Random early morning thought. Can the church deny a convalidation of a couple? With no other impediments such as the need for an annulment or what have you. Can the church just say, we don't approve of your union and will not marry you in the church?

Convalidation is merely resaying your vows in front of a priest. Radical Sanation is having the Bishop approve your marriage without a new ceremony. I suppose either could be turned down it there were grave reasons, but why would someone with grave reasons go through those hoops.

No. The church follows the guidelines set out in Canon Law.

vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P3V.HTM

[quote="Alix1912, post:2, topic:245446"]
Convalidation is merely resaying your vows in front of a priest. Radical Sanation is having the Bishop approve your marriage without a new ceremony. I suppose either could be turned down it there were grave reasons, but why would someone with grave reasons go through those hoops.

[/quote]

People don't always know they have impediments or issues until they go through some type of pre-marital counseling.

Good point. We did have to talk to the priest before our Radical Sanation.

[quote="Seatuck, post:4, topic:245446"]
People don't always know they have impediments or issues until they go through some type of pre-marital counseling.

[/quote]

Right. A convalidation can be denied for the same reasons a marriage can be denied. You have the right to marry unless you are attempting a marriage that the law doesn't allow.

As far as I know, convalidations are not denied for any reasons other than those for which a marriage would be denied in the first place. That doesn't mean there can't be impediments that come to light after the original vows were taken outside the Church; I mean all things being known.

As others have said, convalidation may be refused for the same reason marriage may be refused, although I believe any necessary dispensations would be easier to obtain in case of convalidation (i.e. people already “married”, especially if they married in good faith but something went wrong, have children, have spent many years together etc.).

The Church is concerned with the validity of marriages but does not claim the right to “approve” of marriages the way parents do in some cultures. There’s no, “I don’t like this boy, you go find another and bring him to me.”

By the way, right now the Church’s looking into improving the premarital preparation and investigation process in order to make sure the same things which lead to marriages being declared null are no longer overlooked at the stage preceeding marriage. I’d expect bigger questionnaires and more detailed questions.

But the situation is certainly different for people who are already “married”, especially those who have a putative marriage. I suppose the Church would do anything not to separate them unless totally necessary. In fact, there’s an obligation for tribunals to make sure the parties can’t be reconciled, so I guess the option where people stay married has a very solid preference.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.