Random Encouraging Statistics on Vocations

I am doing a case study of the Church as part of a grad school project, and I want to share some of the statistics that you might not hear about otherwise:
[list]
*]The U.S. has had a 4% increase in major seminarians since 1995.
*]Worldwide there has been a 32% increase in priestly ordinations since 1970, and a 40% increase since the low point of 1980.
*]Worldwide there has been a 9% DECREASE since 1995 in the number of parishes without resident priest.
[/list]A lot of scary statistics are based on a 1960’s/1970’s base number. If you take a 1980’s/1990’s base number, the statistical upswing is pretty amazing. Quite a credit to JPII! All of these stats I calculated from CARA at Georgetown (Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate).

catholic.org/cathcom/national_story.php?id=14025
4/20/2005

http://www.catholic.org/images/news/letters/w.gifASHINGTON (CNS) – The ordination class of 2005 in the United States reflects an increase in the number of older and better educated priests and an increase in the number of those born in foreign countries, according to a report conducted by sociologist Dean Hoge of The Catholic University of America in Washington.

Hoge based his report on the trends seen in ordination classes since 1998 and compared with data on men to be ordained this year who responded to an annual survey conducted by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

He noted that the average ordination age has increased from 34.8 to 37.0 in the past seven years.

He also said men entering the priesthood tend to have a higher level of education prior to entering the seminary.

In 1998, 30 percent of candidates had less than a bachelor’s degree, but in the 2005 sample, only 28 percent had less than a bachelor’s degree.

The percentage of candidates who had received a master’s degree or a professional degree beyond a bachelor’s degree also rose from 13 to 32 percent.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.