Rapture? Catholic...?

Can any one out there advise me on how to counter argue the fundo’s notion of rapture, and how exactly do we see the parousia. My mum is a ‘born again’ non church aligned and is convinced of this mormon view of rapture. I cannot counteract her position as I am unsure of the Catholic view of this.
PLease help, you can email me direct if you want
God Bless
Br CreosMary

Scott Hahn has a wonderful Essay on it. You may be able to find it on-line if you have a web-site of his teachings (I’ll look for it later). The Essay is called “Come Again? The Real Presence as Parousia” and I read it in his book Scripture Matters, which is a compilation of Scriptural essays of his.

He describes the Parousia as the Eucharist and shows where the early Christians felt this, too.

I’m not sure how valuable it is in fighting their argument (at first glance, it appears as apples and oranges), but it is worth the 15 minutes it takes to read it.

Good Luck,

NotWorthy

Tell her it is completely unbiblical.

catholic.com/library/Rapture.asp

read that!

[quote=Jayson]Tell her it is completely unbiblical.

catholic.com/library/Rapture.asp

read that!
[/quote]

Thanks Jayson, that helps already!

You’re welcome!

CreosMary…there are also many catholic books out refuting the protestant idea of the rapture. I’ve read them all, and found the absolute best and most thoroughly researched was David Currie’s “Rapture: The End-Times Error That Leaves the Bible Behind”

In the forward, Scott Hahn says, “Dave has done something remarkable here”…amen to that. I can’t begin to explain how much is in this book. You can read the reviews at Amazon.com.

God bless.

[quote=sconea]CreosMary…there are also many catholic books out refuting the protestant idea of the rapture. I’ve read them all, and found the absolute best and most thoroughly researched was David Currie’s “Rapture: The End-Times Error That Leaves the Bible Behind”

In the forward, Scott Hahn says, “Dave has done something remarkable here”…amen to that. I can’t begin to explain how much is in this book. You can read the reviews at Amazon.com.

God bless.
[/quote]

Thank you friend, anything online???

[quote=CreosMary]Thank you friend, anything online???
[/quote]

Everything you need to know:

carl-olson.com/rapture_articles.html

Thank you Fidelis,
Im getting some good stuff now, thanks to you all

Sure, the rapture is biblical. Paul describes it as when we are taken into the sky to be with the Lord and also in Matthew where people are taken up. The only thing you might consider is whether you or your church belong to either one of three school of thoughts. Pre-trib, Mid-trib or Post Trib. The Catholic Church as far as I know is of the Post Tribulation position.

[quote=catholic2]Sure, the rapture is biblical. Paul describes it as when we are taken into the sky to be with the Lord and also in Matthew where people are taken up. The only thing you might consider is whether you or your church belong to either one of three school of thoughts. Pre-trib, Mid-trib or Post Trib. The Catholic Church as far as I know is of the Post Tribulation position.
[/quote]

The Catholic position would be like this: we are now living in the “millenium” which is the Church age, the beginning and promise of the fulfilled Kingdom of God (millenium means “thousand” a highly symbolic number in Scripture which means a long, but indefinite, time). When the fullness of time comes, there will be:

1. A period of tribulation before the end.
  2. Christ’s Second Coming at which time those Christians still alive will be taken to heaven (the equivalent of the rapture)
  3. The General Judgment at whic all mankind will be judged and be sent to their eteranl reward-either heaven or hell.
  4. Eternity.

The Catechism says this:

**The Church’s ultimate trial **

**675 ** Before Christ’s second coming the Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers. The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth will unveil the “mystery of iniquity” in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth. The supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a pseudo-messianism by which man glorifies himself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh.

676 The Antichrist’s deception already begins to take shape in the world every time the claim is made to realize within history that messianic hope which can only be realized beyond history through the eschatological judgment. The Church has rejected even modified forms of this falsification of the kingdom to come under the name of millenarianism, especially the “intrinsically perverse” political form of a secular messianism.

677 The Church will enter the glory of the kingdom only through this final Passover, when she will follow her Lord in his death and Resurrection. The kingdom will be fulfilled, then, not by a historic triumph of the Church through a progressive ascendancy, but only by God’s victory over the final unleashing of evil, which will cause his Bride to come down from heaven. God’s triumph over the revolt of evil will take the form of the Last Judgment after the final cosmic upheaval of this passing world.

For more information on what the Church teaches on the Last Things, I’d recommend this on-line series of articles:

rosary-center.org/ll57n1.htm
rosary-center.org/ll57n2.htm
rosary-center.org/ll57n3.htm
rosary-center.org/ll57n4.htm

For more information on the erroneous Protestant teaching on the End Times and how to refute it, go to the link provided above and here:

carl-olson.com/rapture_articles.html

[quote=CreosMary]Can any one out there advise me on how to counter argue the fundo’s notion of rapture, and how exactly do we see the parousia. My mum is a ‘born again’ non church aligned and is convinced of this mormon view of rapture. I cannot counteract her position as I am unsure of the Catholic view of this.
PLease help, you can email me direct if you want
God Bless
Br CreosMary
[/quote]

Ask your mum if she knows about the “rapture” described in Matthew 13:30 and 40,41, 42… The Angels do the “Rapting” and it is not nice.
…prior to the second coming of Jesus Christ to “Gather” his holy ones.

In this reading there is “Collect”…which fits “Rapt”, or "Rapture"
and there is “Gather” which is more gentle. (as in Mt.23:37)

God bless
gusano

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.