Rapture

Can ANYONE explain the “RAPTURE” to me?

The “rapture” is the following idea:

1. Everyone is going about their happy little lives.

2. A 7 year period of huge tribulation occurs where all of humanity is put through incredible war and strife and all sorts of nasty things. Now either immediately at the start of this, exactly halfway through, or immediately at the end of this (depending on which Protestant you ask), all of the believers in Christ are caught up in the air to be with Jesus. They just disappear from wherever they are, leaving empty cars and planes to crahs into things, husbands waking up to find their wives just plain missing, children all alone when the schoolteacher disappears… all sorts of things. Those “left behind” then are tested through all the strife over the course of the tribulation.

3. At the end of the tribulation, those who are still alive will leave in peace and prosperity for 1000 years with Christ as and earthly political king.

4. The earth passes away and everyone on it goes to Heaven (the groups that believe people can still sin during this 1000 years say the wicked then go to Hell).

Note two things.

1. This whole idea is bogus

2. Not all Protestants believe it.

I happen to have Dictionary.com up which states:

1. The state of being transported by a lofty emotion; ecstasy.
  2. An expression of ecstatic feeling. Often used in the plural.
  3. The transporting of a person from one place to another, especially to heaven.

The term Rapture, is a Protestant word that encompasses an interpretation of the sequence of events leading up to the General Judgement of Humanity by God The Father.

Interpretations of the Bible to formulate the theology of Rapture stem from the Book of Daniel, St Mathews Gospel and largely from the last book of the Bible, The Apocalypse.

The Catholic Church differs in its interpretation of the sequence of events leading to the Final Judgement and I will leave these distinctions to others on this board whom are more knowlegeable.

However, I will pass to you a reference from the Catholic Encylopedia on the Book of the Apocalypse.
newadvent.org/cathen/01594b.htm

Another distinction in the Catholic Church’s position on the Final Judgement to that of some other Christian Churches who focus on Rapture is the degree of teaching emphasis the topic has. SOme Churches seem to focus highly on the Rapture while the Catholic Church focuses more on preparing the individual for their own particular judgement which may have more relivence in its immediacy.

Luke

Everything you need to know:

carl-olson.com/rapture_articles.html

Now! This is rapture:

THE LEGEND BEAUTIFULby Henry Wadsworth Longfellow 1807-1882 jloughnan.tripod.com/legend.htm

[quote=john charles]Can ANYONE explain the “RAPTURE” to me?
[/quote]

The rapture is this ridiculous idea that a faithful Christian could be snatched up at any moment, even, for instance, while responding to your p

I think I may know since I used to believe in it as a former fundamentalist Baptist. It is a belief by fundamentalists/evangelicals commonly called dispensationalists. The theory was first started by a Catholic priest but was dormant and never heard of in Church history until the 1830’s when a Protestant named John Nelson Darby made it popular (and I should add NEW belief) that Jesus will come back toward and stop shy of the Earth but not actually to the Earth and take the “saved” to heaven prior to His second coming, sort of saving the elect from pain and a seven year tribulation where after that tribulation Jesus returns and sets up His 1000 year reign where the Temple of Jerusalem will be rebuilt and the sacrifice of bulls will be reinstated; which is nuts since Jesus died so that we no longer need bulls which were signs, we now have the true oblation which is what the book of Hebrews says. Anyway it is essentially based on 1 Thes 4:15-17 and other verses but that in 1 Thes 4:15 …one will be taken and the other left.

They say and interpret “left” at the end of 1 thes 4:17 as** left behind** whent he actual context of the verses proves it should be** LEFT OUT left out of heaven!!** The say that this vs shows that the believers in Christ will be taken away like Noah was taken away and the unbelievers will be left behind hence the popular series “Left behind.”

Their Scriptural belief also comes from Mt 24:

Matthew 24:36-39 (NIV) “No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.”

They say see the “saved” will be taken away, **however the BIG problem with that exegesis of Mt 24 is that it is completely opposite of what happened to Noah and the other seven with him. Who I ask was taken away?? **
The unbelievers were!! The righteous were “left behind”!! So their position of Mt 24 is completely opposite of what it contextually should be, hence the failed and sour fruit of sola scriptura.

A good book to read is David Curries book “Rapture.” Or Carl Thigpens “The rapture trap.”

christi simus non nostri

rc

[quote=john charles]Can ANYONE explain the “RAPTURE” to me?
[/quote]

You betcha! :thumbsup:

The Rapture

Are you Pre, Mid, or Post? If you don’t know how to answer that question, you’re probably a Catholic. Most Fundamentalists and Evangelicals know that these words are shorthand for pre-tribulation, mid-tribulation, and post-tribulation. The terms all refer to when the rapture is supposed to occur.

The Millennium

In Revelation 20:1–3, 7–8, we read, “Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, holding in his hand the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain. And he seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years, and threw him into the pit, and shut it and sealed it over him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years were ended. After that he must be loosed for a little while. . . . And when the thousand years are ended, Satan will be loosed from his prison and will come out to deceive the nations which are at the four corners of the earth.”

The period of a thousand years, the writer tells us, is the reign of Christ, and the thousand-year period is popularly called the millennium. The millennium is a harbinger of the end of the world, and Revelation 20 is interpreted in three ways by conservative Protestants. The three schools of thought are called postmillennialism, amillennialism, and premillennialism. Let’s take a look at them.

The rest of the article and you might also want to look at all of the Last Things and False Profit
Pax tecum,

[quote=awfulthings9]The rapture is this ridiculous idea that a faithful Christian could be snatched up at any moment, even, for instance, while responding to your p
[/quote]

:eek:

[quote=awfulthings9]The rapture is this ridiculous idea that a faithful Christian could be snatched up at any moment, even, for instance, while responding to your p
[/quote]

Har Har :smiley:

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.