Rapture?

Hi,

Can anybody tell me, what is the Rapture theory about the ‘End Times’? Is it something Protestant that Catholics don’t believe? From what I’ve heard it sounds a little sinister…

Thanks

As far as I’m aware it was invented about two hundred years ago and has very poor scriptural ‘‘evidence’’

askelm.com/doctrine/d760201.htm

God Bless, and good to see more Brits :smiley:

The Rapture is a false doctrine.

The very same people who believe it refuse to accept the Assumption of Mary too. LOL.

The people who believe this refuse to share in the suffering that comes in this world and imagine wrongly that God will swoop them up and save them from perils here.

They do not realize how this kind of thinking is refusal to share in Christs suffering on the Cross, why would we want to be spared suffering for his sake?

Good call on seeing it as evil.:thumbsup:

In a nutshell the rapture is a name given to the “catching up” of all saved people in conjunction with the Parousia. There are varying theories about when it will happen, whether prior to the “tribulation” or after it, as well as other variations. But the rapture itself, to my understanding, refers to this taking up into heaven, and supposedly will happen rather quickly, “in the twinkling of an eye” so some say.

Hellisreal, not all believers in the rapture believe it’ll save them from all of the tribulation. None believe it saves them from any suffering here (at least if they do, it’s not from this particular teaching.)

there is pre-trib post trib and mid tribulation rapture beliefs.

I recommend you read The End Tmes: What Catholics Really Believe about the Second Coming, the Rapture, Heaven, Hell, Pugatory, and Indulgences by Father Frank Chacon and Jim Burnham (San Juan Catholic Seminars). It is short and easy to read but gives an excellent explanation of what Catholics believe, and explains why Rapture is not Biblical (not to mention The Left Behind book series).

Sincerely,

Maria1212

Three books that have helped me understand what rapture is and the Catholic stance concerning it are:

The Rapture Trap by Paul Thigpen

Trial, Tribulation & Triumph (Before, During, and After the Antichrist) by Desmond A. Birch

What Does The Bible Say About The End Times by William Kurz

another book I purchased for my wife but don’t remember the author is Will Catholics Be Left Behind?

Hope this helps.

It’s the “Pre-Trib”, “Post-Trib” nonsense that was made up.
Jesus is to come back but ONCE - not twice, not three times - ONCE at the end
Most of this Rapture nonsense came about from gross misinterpretations of the following passage:
1 Thess. 4:15-17:
***"Ineed, we tell you this, on the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will surely not precede those who have fallen asleep. ***
***For the Lord himself, with a word of command, with the voice of an archangel and with the trumpet of God, will come down from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first. ***
Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together ith them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Thus we shall always be with the Lord."
Jesus IS coming back - but only ONCE . . .

But wouldn’t that just defeat the purpose of His death?

This poem sums up the Rapture:

Toe to toe
Dancing very slow
Barely breathing
Almost comatose
Wall to wall
People hypnotized
And they’re stepping lightly
Hang each night in Rapture

Back to back
Sacroiliac
Spineless movement
And a wild attack

Face to face
Sadly solitude
And it’s finger popping
Twenty-four hour shopping in Rapture

Fab Five Freddie told me everybody’s high
DJ’s spinnin’ are savin’ my mind
Flash is fast, Flash is cool
Francois sez fas, Flashe’ no do
And you don’t stop, sure shot
Go out to the parking lot
And you get in your car and you drive real far
And you drive all night and then you see a light
And it comes right down and lands on the ground
And out comes a man from Mars
And you try to run but he’s got a gun
And he shoots you dead and he eats your head
And then you’re in the man from Mars
You go out at night, eatin’ cars
You eat Cadillacs, Lincolns too
Mercury’s and Subaru’s
And you don’t stop, you keep on eatin’ cars
Then, when there’s no more cars
You go out at night and eat up bars where the people meet
Face to face, dance cheek to cheek
One to one, man to man
Dance toe to toe
Don’t move to slow, ‘cause the man from Mars
Is through with cars, he’s eatin’ bars
Yeah, wall to wall, door to door, hall to hall
He’s gonna eat ‘em all
Rapture, be pure
Take a tour, through the sewer
Don’t strain your brain, paint a train
You’ll be singin’ in the rain
I said don’t stop, do punk rock

Well now you see what you wanna be
Just have your party on TV
’Cause the man from Mars won’t eat up bars when the TV’s on
And now he’s gone back up to space
Where he won’t have a hassle with the human race
And you hip-hop, and you don’t stop
Just blast off, sure shot
’Cause the man from Mars stopped eatin’ cars and eatin’ bars
And now he only eats guitars, get up!

The author on that one is Carl Olsen. Very good book, I might add.

:rotfl:Quoting Blondie are we? I’m nearly certain she is NOT canonical! At least I’ve never seen an imprimatur on her work :hmmm:

Peace,
+N

Please explain how it sounds “sinister” and “evil”.

As I see it before the Rapture (inwhich god shall take up his followers) we must overcome the Tribulation. I believe in a post-tribulation. Jesus said himself that human kind must Overcome to see God’s glory.

On This Page you can find an excellent podcast about The Rapture. This is an audio version of the television show, The One True Faith. It’s only about 40 minutes long, and well worth a listen. :thumbsup:

~Liza

How so? Can you share with us how anything could defeat the purpose of His death? It is accomplished. Christ is Risen.

How could anything defeat it? Christ trampled death by death.

I hope you can explain what greater power could interfere or change this fact.

I really hate it when people refer to their faith as the One, True Faith. I’ve only heard Christians do this and it pisses me off. Our faith is not the only one out there, and we don’t know fopr sure that everything in Christianity is true. That’s why we call it faith, isn’t it?

You said that we should join in the sufferings of Christ, but Christ died so we wouldn’t have to do that. I think ‘joining in the sufferings of Christ’ is a very vague term and all the people I have met can’t describe what it means or how exactly they do that. BTW, saying that the Rapture belief is evil is reall saying " My beliefs are the only true ones." Let me tell you, they’re not. That’s why they call it faith, because you have almost no scientific proof. Why do you say that it is evil? It isn’t in teh Bible and the Rapture belief was created to scare people into Christianity, which made those people kinda evil, but those who believe blindly are just that. Blind.

Edit: Now if you have used reasoning and still believe in teh Rapture, then it is perfectly fine. Believe in it.

As the “Left Behind” fiction points out, Catholics won’t be “raptured”. The only ones even remotely similar to Catholics to be raptured are the fringe Seda groups.

I’m no expert, but the only time I’ve heard rapture being preached was as a scare tactic.

The only people I’ve ever been in contact with who hoped for a rapture always always always always hoped that a rapture would get them away from people or situations they couldn’t stand.

Scare tactics and hatred make for bad theology.

Another really good book that helped me was "Rapture" by David Currie. He grew up with this theology and understands it very well. There is also John Martignoni’s talk on the Rapture, which is very good. He also has some notes that you can use.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.