Rapture?

Does the catholic church believe in the rapture?

No its does not. at least not the false hysteria depicted in the left behind series. The Catholic Church states that the only rapture that could possibly happen is at the final judgment. So in protestant language Catholics would be Post-trib to the farthest possible degree.

No. The Rapture?

In the Bible it says something to the effect of the gates of hell will not prevale on the Church. If all the faithfull were “Raptured” up, Where would the Church be then? So to answer your Question, no.
“The Rapture Trap” by Paul Thigpen dose a good job on explaining how the theory of the “Rapture” came to be, and the Catholic perspective. Lots of answers to all those “WHY” questions one may have on the “Rapture”

Do we believe that 1 Thessalonians 4 will happen? Yes, but that event does not describe what Dispensationalists teach.

Peace,
+N

Yes.

Fortunately, the RCC does believe that the rapture is true.

Please note that the rapture is the resurrection of the living and the dead at the return of our Lord to meet Him in the air.

It means nothing more and nothing less.

I think we need to be careful that fundamentalist Protestants might misconstrue this. When they refer to “the rapture” they typically refer to the literal prophetic truth of the Book of Revelation.

The Catholic Church to my knowledge (and since my wife was a strong Pentecostal this has been of some interest to us) does not dogmatically teach this to be the case, and there is a significant portion of the Church which legitimately holds Revelation to refer to events of Nero’s reign.

As always, please correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems to me there is a rather large difference between the Catholic view and other communities on this score.

When each of us dies, our souls are immediately taken to the presence of God and judged. This is called the Particular Judgment. At this point we begin our eternal destiny. If we are going to hell, our souls go directly there. If we are deemed worthy of heaven, our souls will go directly to heaven, or if we are going to heaven but are in need of purification, we may go to Purgatory first for a while (everyone in Purgatory will eventually go to heaven). Whatever our fate, our souls will stay there (heaven or hell) until the end of time, at which time the Second Coming will occur.

At the Second Coming at the end of time, those Christians still alive will be taken to heaven (what some Protestants think of as of the rapture). Then will occur the General Judgment. At that time the souls of the living and the dead will be reunited with their bodies and brought together in God’s presence and judged before all. Those who have already been judged in the Particular Judgment will be brought from wherever their souls were -heaven, hell or Purgatory-- and have their judgment confirmed before all, so that both the justice and mercy of God will be manifest to all.

After this, time and Purgatory will be no more and all will enter with their souls and bodies into their eternal destiny, either hell or heaven.

This is an extremely bare-bones sketch, so if you want to get the details, see the five articles I linked below:

rosary-center.org/ll57n1.htm
rosary-center.org/ll57n2.htm
rosary-center.org/ll57n3.htm
rosary-center.org/ll57n4.htm
rosary-center.org/ll49n6.htm

In addition, you have to learn to recognize erroneous teachings about the End Times popularized by fundamentalists. In other words, toss out the “Left Behind” and “Late, Great Planet Earth” baloney. Here are some resources to help you develop some discernment in these areas:

catholic.com/library/rapture.asp
catholic.com/thisrock/2000/0011fea2.asp
catholic.com/library/false_profit.asp
catholic.com/thisrock/2002/0211fea3.asp
catholic.com/thisrock/2000/0001fea1.asp
catholic.com/thisrock/1995/9510ntg.asp
catholic.com/thisrock/2002/0209fea5.asp
catholic.com/thisrock/1998/9812chap.asp
catholic.com/thisrock/2003/0304bt.asp
catholic.com/thisrock/1997/9705chap.asp
catholic.com/thisrock/1994/9409fea4.asp
catholic.com/thisrock/1994/9410fea2.asp
catholic.com/thisrock/2000/0009bite.asp
carl-olson.com/rapture_articles.html

Here’s a website with several articles from a Catholic perspective regarding this subject. The writer is Carl Olsen, the author of the best selling book “Will Catholics Be Left Behind?”

carl-olson.com/rapture_articles.html

I’d also recommend going to the Catholic Answers home page and putting “Rapture” or “Left Behind” into the “Search” feature. You’ll find several good articles there from reliable writers. Here is one of their Special Reports on this:
catholic.com/library/false_profit.asp

If you’re looking for other good books on the subject by Catholics, look for the following:

The Rapture Trap, by Paul Thigpen
catholiccompany.com/produ…ail.cfm?ID=948

Rapture, by David Currie
catholiccompany.com/produ…il.cfm?ID=3447

If you prefer tapes or CDs, I’d recommend:

The Rapture Files, by Tim Staples
The Rapture Revealed, by David Currie
(both available from St. Joseph’s Communications)
saintjoe.com/

Will You Be Left Behind?, by Carl Olsen
(Same link as above)

Catholics & The Rapture, by Patrick Madid
surprisedbytruth.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=52

Introduction to Prophecy, by Steve Wood
Delusions of Rapture & Prophecy, by Steve Wood and Paul Thigpen
familylifecenter.net/cart… ser=51422080

[sign]In case of Rapture, I wish to be Left Behind!!![/sign]
Matthew 13:24-30 (especially 30).

Matthew 13: 27-30: “The slaves of the householder came to him and said, ‘Master, did you not sow good seed in your field? Where have the weeds come from?’ He answered, ‘An enemy has done this.’ His slaves said to him, ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’ He replied, ‘No, if you pull up the weeds you might uproot the wheat along with them. Let them grow together until harvest; then at harvest time I will say to the harvesters, “First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles for burning; but gather the wheat into my barn.”’”

From this parable, it seems that if there is anything like what some Protestants view as a “rapture” it’s the evil unbelievers (the weeds) who will be taken away, and the good who will be left behind.

Bingo!!!

Also, if you look at some of the comparisons used in the Rapture from Scripture. It will be like Noah’s Ark and Sodom and Gomorrah. In both incidences, the ones left behind were the survivors (Noah’s family and Lot’s family).

Before we break out our credit cards and order all these books you recommend, do these authors also include why they and their church believe that the regathering of Jews in all nations to the land of Israel in not in God’s prophetic plan? Israel and end times prophecy events like the “rapture” event go hand in hand. And I wish if those wanting to debunk the rapture event do so, that they also include their explanation why todays regathering of Jews to the land of Israel cannot be supported by scripture.

I skimmed the “freebies” you posted, but did not see anything like that.

The second coming, this is were those crazy, googli-eyed dispensationalists believe the beginning of the 1000 year reign of Jesus Christ on Earth from Jerusalem starts. In short, Jesus returns the way he left(Acts11:11), Jews will look upon him who they pierced after they call upon the name of the Lord(Zech12:10/Matt23:39), Jesus will defeat all nations going up to destroy Israel once and for all(Zech14/Psalm83), he will judge the nations left for how they treated his “bretheren” and his land before his second coming(Matthew25/Joel 3), and those “righteous gentiles” will be the sheep allowed to enter into the kingdom, the goats will be bound with the Satan. Remember at this point “all Israel will be saved”(Romans11:26). Jesus reigns this earth for 1000 years(Zech14/Rev20), after which Satan is loosed and goes out to deceive those in the Kingdom who are still born of Adam, and with no luck goes to try to lead those decieved to battle the Lord, Satan is finally put down forever(Rev20:7-11), Jesus hands the Kingdom over to his Father(1Cor15:24-28), then the Dead judged(Rev20:11-15), and then eternity(Rev21-22).

Before the 2nd coming, the rapture event of Jesus Church will take place, that is why he calls out on 144,000 from the 12 tribes of Israel in the great tribulation.

Very literal reading from scripture, but does this sound so crazy after all?

Is the diaspora over?

Well, since you seem to be familiar enough with these books to be able to state that “they and their church believe that the regathering of Jews in all nations to the land of Israel in not in God’s prophetic plan,” then you must know if their books include the answer to the question you are asking --unless of course you haven’t read the books. :slight_smile:

Just familiar with the book list you throw up every time the rapture is discussed. :slight_smile:

If they do, they are not being accurate.

The rapture, by definition, refers to the catching away of the saints at our Lords return. In fact, the term “rapture” comes from the Latin Vulgate where the Scripture speaks of this resurrection.

Not to me.

I think the problems come in when you arbitrarily spiritualize certain end-times events and take all the rest literally.

Saying Christ will literally judge, but not literally reign for 1000 years in the Messianic Kingdom, does nothing but confuse how we are to discern the truth, IMO.

That whole teaching has only been around from around 1825 and was concocted by a Church of Ireland preacher named John Nelson Darby. It wasn’t even held by many n-Cs until it was included in the notes of C. I. Scofield’s reference Bible.

The Scofield Reference Bible is a widely circulated annotated study Bible edited and annotated by the American Bible student Cyrus I. Scofield. Published by Oxford University Press and containing the traditional King James Version text, it first appeared in 1909 and was revised by the author in 1917.
(From Wikipedia)

Prior to that the teaching was virtually unknown and the only supposedly Catholic to even talk about it was a known heretic from about the 3rd or 4th century (I think).

One of the very best Bible studies on this is offered on a FREE MP3 download from John Martignoni called [FONT=georgia]The Rapture and the Bible and his study notes are here.
It is very much worth your time. If someone is trying to tell you you should believe this, then you might want to download that and then burn them a CD and give it to them. Be sure to listen to it yourself first of course…

Simple answer: No, Catholics do not believe in the rapture because (in spite of all the hype to the contrary) it is not actually taught in the Bible, and it was never believed by the early church…or the rest of the church during it’s 2,000 year history.

That would make it a new wind of doctrine and a teaching of men.
Neither is something that Christians are supposed to get into.[/FONT]

Yes, I understand what “rapture” means—my point was merely that your earlier post may well be taken by Protestants to mean that the Catholic Church teaches that Revelation is in fact the literal and true prophecy of the future end of the world. That is the context in which fundamentalist Protestants view it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.