Rare Ceremony that I Was Fortunate to Witness!

The other day when I attended Mass at St. Marks Church in Brooklyn, I witnessed a rare ceremony that day! This is a church that I attend from time to time; at other times I attend Mass at another church. This is due to the fact that I live between these two churches so wherever I feel like going on a particular Sunday (Saturday 5PM Mass) I go to that location. Anyway, this past Sunday at Saint Mark an induction ceremony for the new Pastor took place. The local bishop was in attendance and it was a beautiful ceremony, I never witnessed anything like it! As luck would have it, I arrived early and the way the church filled up to capacity you would think that it was Midnight Mass and this is a large church. I was wondering if anyone else experienced witnessing this ceremony and if so what did you think?

The installation of a Pastor in his parish is a jubilant ceremony! I was also fortunate to be present at one more than a year ago. It is customarily celebrated on the patronal feast and/or solemnity of the parish with the local Ordinary (Bishop, Archbishop, Cardinal) or his delegate (Auxiliary Bishop, Episcopal Vicar) presiding.

The pastor is the Celebrant of the Mass while the Ordinary or his delegate presides over the ceremonies. The Ordinary receives the profession of faith, promises and vows from the new Pastor and the appointment is proclaimed and made effective. The various parish ministries are then presented to the Pastor along with the chief staff (Parish Council, Finance Council, DRE etc).

"Ego sum pastor bonus"

[quote="J_the_Centrist, post:1, topic:317382"]
The other day when I attended Mass at St. Marks Church in Brooklyn, I witnessed a rare ceremony that day! This is a church that I attend from time to time; at other times I attend Mass at another church. This is due to the fact that I live between these two churches so wherever I feel like going on a particular Sunday (Saturday 5PM Mass) I go to that location. Anyway, this past Sunday at Saint Mark an induction ceremony for the new Pastor took place. The local bishop was in attendance and it was a beautiful ceremony, I never witnessed anything like it! As luck would have it, I arrived early and the way the church filled up to capacity you would think that it was Midnight Mass and this is a large church. I was wondering if anyone else experienced witnessing this ceremony and if so what did you think?

[/quote]

The Bishop of Brooklyn actually installed my pastor at my parish all the way back in 2000 when he was Bishop of Camden. Good stuff - always awe-inspiring when you are able to witness the actual handing on of apostolic authority.

I know, I was actually going to go to the other church in my area. I am so glad I didn’t, I also don’t remember ever attending a Mass with a Bishop present. Needless to say I feel very fortunate. :slight_smile:

The current Bishop of Camden is celebrating Mass at our parish this Sunday because he is going to install one of our parishioners (who is now in seminary) to the Ministry of Acolyte, one of the steps toward ordination. Then he’s coming back next month for confirmation. :smiley:

I never knew there was such a ceremony. How fitting and uplifting! Too bad our bishop did not do this for our new priest when he came to the parish a few years ago. Nice to see these bishops “in the vineyard” so to speak.

In my 10 years here, our bishop has never set foot in our church (we are small and so have been told to drive our youngsters to a parish at quite some distance for Confirmation; the bishop cannot be inconvenienced to come to us).

To be honest we have a problem priest, and a priest with problems. Prayer and discussion and letters and meetings and many tears have gone into trying to cope with the situation. If this pastor could have started off with the bishop’s blessing and support in a mass like you describe, and had a little involvement from him during his crisis periods, this poor priest might be dealing with his new role better. As it is, the parish is in a state of turmoil, we continue to lose members, some who have been here 20, 30 years or more.

I hope all bishops will realize the impact they can have on their priests and people, even with one Mass.

[quote="Rosella, post:6, topic:317382"]
I never knew there was such a ceremony. How fitting and uplifting! Too bad our bishop did not do this for our new priest when he came to the parish a few years ago. Nice to see these bishops "in the vineyard" so to speak.

[/quote]

I wasn't really aware of it myself and no one mentioned it the last time I was there. Perhaps they did and it just didn't register, LOL.

In my 10 years here, our bishop has never set foot in our church (we are small and so have been told to drive our youngsters to a parish at quite some distance for Confirmation; the bishop cannot be inconvenienced to come to us).

The other church I attend also has never been visited by a Bishop, I believe ALL Bishops should take more time tending to their flocks as there is great need for this. There should be NO excuse and the word "inconvenience" shouldn't be associated with a Bishops duties.

To be honest we have a problem priest, and a priest with problems. Prayer and discussion and letters and meetings and many tears have gone into trying to cope with the situation. If this pastor could have started off with the bishop's blessing and support in a mass like you describe, and had a little involvement from him during his crisis periods, this poor priest might be dealing with his new role better. As it is, the parish is in a state of turmoil, we continue to lose members, some who have been here 20, 30 years or more.

Maybe the priest is just inept! We must remember that priests are people and just like anyone else, they fail. Perhaps someone could alert the Bishop of the situation and he could intervene, that is if he is not "inconvenienced" of course. None of these statements have been said to be mean or to disparage the clergy. However, I believe that besides indoctrination (which is rampant), the reason so many people my age and younger are leaving the Church or are dissatisfied with it is because many in the clergy are not reaching out like they should. Clergy who treat their position like a job should leave their positions, because they are not doing any good for anyone, including themselves. Now, clergy who treat their job like a vocation, these are the one's worth more than any riches and we need more reaching out from them.

I hope all bishops will realize the impact they can have on their priests and people, even with one Mass.

Amen

In our Diocese, here in NW Minnesota, we have around 50 parishes, give or take. Our Bishop, makes a point to visit every parish in the Diocese once if not twice each year for Mass. He celebrates Confirmation at each individual parish, questions each individual candidate publicly during the rite, before he Confirms them. He is very much a shepherd of our diocese.

If you find the rite of installation very interesting, i suggest you attend your diocese Chrism Mass. There is a point during the Chrism Mass were the Priests of the Diocese will be questioned and renew their vows and commitment to the Church, the Priesthood, and the Bishop. I have always found that very moving myself.

God Bless you All

[quote="jason56716, post:8, topic:317382"]
In our Diocese, here in NW Minnesota, we have around 50 parishes, give or take. Our Bishop, makes a point to visit every parish in the Diocese once if not twice each year for Mass. He celebrates Confirmation at each individual parish, questions each individual candidate publicly during the rite, before he Confirms them. He is very much a shepherd of our diocese.

If you find the rite of installation very interesting, i suggest you attend your diocese Chrism Mass. There is a point during the Chrism Mass were the Priests of the Diocese will be questioned and renew their vows and commitment to the Church, the Priesthood, and the Bishop. I have always found that very moving myself.

God Bless you All

[/quote]

First, I hope no one was offended by my previous post, but what was said had to be said. Second, that Bishop is exactly the kind of Bishop who shepherds his flock, if I were in that diocese I would also be moved by his devotion, which I think is what you were alluding to. God bless you as well and your Bishop too. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.