Rash judgment and reasonable suspicion

A few months ago, I took my computer to the local shop for repairs. The tech refused to listen to either me or Mom when we tried to tell him what was wrong. (“Don’t worry, I’ll figure it out” when trying to give the error message on two separate occasions). Today, Dad had to take a different computer to the same tech and he did ask. I told Mom it was because we were girls. Was that the sin of rash judgment on my part?

It may be rash judgement or jumping to conclusions as there are other possibilities that could explain his behavior. Maybe the tech was having a bad day or had other pressing matters on his mind as happens to all of us from time to time.

It may be that he does have some bias where he perhaps consciously or unconsciously groups people according to physical differences or perceived status.

The answer to both possibilities is to pray for him.

Merry Christmas

Probably not.

CCC 2477 Respect for the reputation of persons forbids every attitude and word likely to cause them unjust injury. He becomes guilty:

• of rash judgment who, even tacitly, assumes as true, without sufficient foundation, the moral fault of a neighbor;

• of detraction who, without objectively valid reason, discloses another’s faults and failings to persons who did not know them;

• of calumny who, by remarks contrary to the truth, harms the reputation of others and gives occasion for false judgments concerning them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.