Ratzinger Ratzinger Ratzinger!

OF COURSE I PRAY THE HOLY SPIRIT GUIDES THE CARDINAL’S CHOCIE BUT I WOULD LOVE TO SEE CARDINAL RATZINGER AS OUR NEXT POPE AND SEE HIM TAKE PIUS XIII—LORD WILLING–

[quote=marineboy]OF COURSE I PRAY THE HOLY SPIRIT GUIDES THE CARDINAL’S CHOCIE BUT I WOULD LOVE TO SEE CARDINAL RATZINGER AS OUR NEXT POPE AND SEE HIM TAKE PIUS XIII—LORD WILLING–
[/quote]

Me too! (If I knew how to use the big letters I would have.)

He would have been a great choice 10-15 years ago. He’s a bit old these days, though (almost 79, I believe).

There are others with conservative views but not as many years behind them.

Ratzinger is too liberal. Way too liberal.

I agree:D I am so happy,marineboy we agree:clapping:

[quote=Ahimsa]Ratzinger is too liberal. Way too liberal.
[/quote]

I thought he was conservative…didn’t he say during his homily that the Catholic needs to stick to it’s traditions just like what Pope John Paul II would say?

I am an Arinze supporter myself, but will submit myself to the authority of whomever the Holy Spirit guides the conclave to select.

I like Arinze too…but I put my trust in the Holy Spirit to guide the Cardinals into choosing the right man. :amen:

[quote=MidnightSun02]I thought he was conservative…didn’t he say during his homily that the Catholic needs to stick to it’s traditions just like what Pope John Paul II would say?
[/quote]

I am hoping that Ahimsa was just being facetious. Ratzinger is in no way liberal (although i don’t like the use of liberal/conservative - orthodox is a much better description.) But, for the sake of argument, does this sound liberal to you:

[quote=Cardinal Ratzinger]What can the third fall of Jesus under the Cross say to us? We have considered the fall of man in general, and the falling of many Christians away from Christ and into a godless secularism. Should we not also think of how much Christ suffers in his own Church? How often is the holy sacrament of his Presence abused, how often must he enter empty and evil hearts! How often do we celebrate only ourselves, without even realizing that he is there! How often is his Word twisted and misused! What little faith is present behind so many theories, so many empty words!

How much filth there is in the Church, and even among those who, in the priesthood, ought to belong entirely to him! How much pride, how much self-complacency! What little respect we pay to the Sacrament of Reconciliation, where he waits for us, ready to raise us up whenever we fall!
[/quote]

Yes, I was being facetious. I thought Ratzinger’s orthodoxy was pretty well a close-and-shut case. :smiley:

From what I understand, Ratzinger would choose to have a Church more doctrinally pure even if it meant fewer numbers. I can live with that, but because he is older, he would likely not get to appoint many like-minded cardinals, so I don’t think he would be as effective as Arinze.

Scott

my money is between Ratzinger and Francis Arinze (Nigerian)

[quote=MidnightSun02]I thought he was conservative…didn’t he say during his homily that the Catholic needs to stick to it’s traditions just like what Pope John Paul II would say?
[/quote]

Anyone know where to find the text of his homily from today? I have heard several people talk about it but did not hear it myself.

Homily at the Mass for the Election of the Roman Pontiff

Hey I have a question for you guys: Would you really want a pope that is 79? I saw in my fiancee the anguish and grief when JP2 was so sick and then died. Just wondering if you would want to go through that again so soon. Not saying that he’s on his last leg, but statistically, he can’t have much longer. Seems to me like the more often you have to elect a pope, the more unsettled things are? Keep in mind that I am a protestant (who’s getting ready to be a Catholic) so I may be talking somewhat out of school on this. Don’t take any offence to my constant questions.

[quote=marineboy]OF COURSE I PRAY THE HOLY SPIRIT GUIDES THE CARDINAL’S CHOCIE BUT I WOULD LOVE TO SEE CARDINAL RATZINGER AS OUR NEXT POPE AND SEE HIM TAKE PIUS XIII—LORD WILLING–
[/quote]

ME TOO! Your thinking and my thinking are too perfect.
Kind of spooky. Long Live Pius XIII

[quote=miguel delgado]my money is between Ratzinger and Francis Arinze (Nigerian)
[/quote]

** Arinze is a Good Good Man. I would love Rat Slinger, but I would be very content and very happy with Arinze.

Think about it:
Rat Slinger…Perfect name to rid the church of the Cheese-eating rats!!**

I want Ratzinger too, but I don’t care who it is, as long as it is a man who would live up to the title of Pius XIII. That’s what I’m praying more for, Pius XIII.

[quote=Hugh Betcha]Hey I have a question for you guys: Would you really want a pope that is 79? I saw in my fiancee the anguish and grief when JP2 was so sick and then died. Just wondering if you would want to go through that again so soon. Not saying that he’s on his last leg, but statistically, he can’t have much longer. Seems to me like the more often you have to elect a pope, the more unsettled things are? Keep in mind that I am a protestant (who’s getting ready to be a Catholic) so I may be talking somewhat out of school on this. Don’t take any offence to my constant questions.
[/quote]

Well “Rat” is ONLY 78. Besides. LeoXIII, on of the greatest popes of the last two centuries was that old when he became pope and he reigned for more than 20 years. By contrast, John Paul I was ONLY 65 when he suddenly died after a month in office. So you never know. Just remember that John Paul II wsas very badly wounded, and that those injuries ruined his health.

[quote=Hugh Betcha]Hey I have a question for you guys: Would you really want a pope that is 79? I saw in my fiancee the anguish and grief when JP2 was so sick and then died. Just wondering if you would want to go through that again so soon. Not saying that he’s on his last leg, but statistically, he can’t have much longer. Seems to me like the more often you have to elect a pope, the more unsettled things are? Keep in mind that I am a protestant (who’s getting ready to be a Catholic) so I may be talking somewhat out of school on this. Don’t take any offence to my constant questions.
[/quote]

His age could actually be a plus for selecting him if the Cardinal’s were looking for a Pope to put some more discipline into the Church and institutes some conservative reform (not that this is necessarily what anyone is thinking.)

Like a CEO your bring into fix some problems in a company. He lays down the law, makes necessary changes and then hands over the reigns to another man who runs the company.

The “reformer” usually ends up making more enemies than friends (even though many of the “enemies” will be the beneficiaries of the instituted changes) and if he sticks around too long becomes counter productive.

Years later everyone remembers what a great thing he did for the comany, but while it’s going on its a good thing he’s in charge or he wouldn’t survive.

Chuck

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.