Ravenous Wolves and Paul

Hi recently I have encountered an argument that the "Ravenous wolves" in Matt 7:15 are infact Paul and his followers.

The argument is that Paul was from the tribe of Benjamin (Phil 3:5) and Benjamin is described as being a "Ravenous wolf" (Gen 49:27). A scholar from Australia has said that Matthew deliberately included this and a few other texts in his Gospel as an attack on Paul and his followers.

How would one answer this charge?

Peace.

[quote="Agios, post:1, topic:328544"]
Hi recently I have encountered an argument that the "Ravenous wolves" in Matt 7:15 are infact Paul and his followers.

The argument is that Paul was from the tribe of Benjamin (Phil 3:5) and Benjamin is described as being a "Ravenous wolf" (Gen 49:27). A scholar from Australia has said that Matthew deliberately included this and a few other texts in his Gospel as an attack on Paul and his followers.

How would one answer this charge?

Peace.

[/quote]

I would not give "A scholar" a lot of credibility in interpreting Holy Scripture. I would rely on Church teaching. Private interpretation has resulted in thousands of conflicting doctrines and churches.

:thumbsup:
Just when we thought we had seen it all…

I actually thought the question was going to be on Acts 20 where Paul says to the bishops of Ephesus:
28 Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers [bishops], to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood. 29 I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; 30 and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them. 31 Therefore be alert, remembering that for three years I did not cease night or day to admonish every one with tears.
Paul himself warns against ravenous wolves entering after Paul departs. So even Scripture goes against the “scholar’s” claims.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.