RCC charitible giving

Can anyone lead me to a site that tells how much money the RCC uses for charitible causes? Does anyone know where the church is in comparison to other religious/Christian organizations worldwide in charitible giving?
Sources would be very helpful.

That impresses me as a question that’s going to be impossible to answer. It’s not like the Vatican puts out profit and loss statements. Then you have all the individual dioceses and religious orders. You have groups of various kinds – if the Knights of Columbus donate to something does that count as coming from the Church? If Tom Monaghan donates millions to build a Catholic college, does that count?

Well, I hadn’t thought of all of the details. I’m trying to make a point to someone who is miffed about “donations” being accepted to help defray the cost of JPII’s canonization process. I’ve been assaulted by a fundamentalist with all that is wrong with the RCC.

Well what’s the problem? No one who does not want his money to go toward this purpose is required to donate for it. Is this person suggesting that any cause that he does not agree with should not be allowed to ask for donations? If I were to decide that I didn’t agree with some project that his own church was trying support, should I be miffed if they accept donations toward that purpose?

Can you be a little more specific regarding what exactly he is “miffed” about? What does he find wrong with donations for this purpose?

This sounds like nick picking on the church. If you want to find anything negative to say, you’ll find it. It’s like saying John Paul ll went down main st. on his Pope mobile. He could have took a left down Maple and saved some gas money. Boy, the Catholic Church sure does wast money.

Then you have all the individual dioceses and religious orders. You have groups of various kinds – if the Knights of Columbus donate to something does that count as coming from the Church? If Tom Monaghan donates millions to build a Catholic college, does that count?Actually they do.

Search The Vatican website for their financial statements.
They’re there.

Yes, but that statement is for the Vatican only. It does not encompass the universarl church and alls it’s individual charitable organizations.

Can you readily produce a single statement (or a complete group of statements) encompassing all Lutheran charitible giving worldwide, or all Anglican charitible giving, or all Jewish charitible giving? Keep in mind these religious bodies are all smaller than the Catholic Church, so assembly of such a statement should presumably be an easier task. Let me know when you have one of these.

I’d rather see the financial statement of Scientology.

Uh… I think you misunderstood my post. Not really sure why you posted this to me.

I was pointing out that the statement Church Militant posted was only for the Vatican itself, not the universal church, so that the OP (or those unfamiliar with Catholicism) wouldn’t think it was comprehensive.

Each Parish usually has a portion of it’s budget that goes to different charities, and then I’m guessing all of the “through the Church” donations would be dwarfed by the direct donations of all the Catholics out there.

I don’t know how much it would total but to quote Sagan, I’m sure it’s “Billions and Billions”.

Chuck

Most Charities develop an analysis of there financials. My husband and I investigate charities to see how much of every dollar is used for administrative costs and fundraising as opposed to the purpose of the charity. Some [not very reputable charities are really just raise money and all of it goes to that effort]

St. Vincent de Paul [a wonderful charity spends $0.92 of every dollar on assisting people [with food, utilities, housing etc] and $0.08 on administrative and fund raising.

Other charities should be able to provide reports…

Your parish is slightly different but they will also have an accounting. My parish supports the parish school with approximately 18% of the Sunday collections. Almost another 20 % is used to support charitable causes, the balance goes to pay the parish staff salaries and benefits and parish expenses [utlities- gas, electric, phone, water, sewer etc.] plus maintenance for th grounds and supplies for the various ministires…

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.