RCIA and Baby Baptism

So, I haven't started RCIA yet (starts in just 19 days!!!!!!!), but my husband and i are trying to get pregnant. I was just wondering that if I give birth before I get fully confirmed in the Church, can I have my baby Christened or Baptised as Catholic? Or does that have to wait until I get confirmed? Just curious. :)... Also, I heard an old wives tale - That if you wear a certain Saint's medal while pregnant, they'll be endowed with the same Graces. Is this true, or just superstitious? Thanks all!:D

[quote="MeganKichler, post:1, topic:293951"]
So, I haven't started RCIA yet (starts in just 19 days!!!!!!!), but my husband and i are trying to get pregnant. I was just wondering that if I give birth before I get fully confirmed in the Church, can I have my baby Christened or Baptised as Catholic? Or does that have to wait until I get confirmed? Just curious. :)...

[/quote]

This is something you will need to discuss with your priest. The answer is... it depends.

This will be something the priest determines by working with you and your husband. You don't mention whether or not your husband is Catholic, has any issues with you or the children being Catholic, etc. The priest must see a "well-founded" hope the child will be raised Catholic. So, getting to know you is the first step.

Also, I heard an old wives tale - That if you wear a certain Saint's medal while pregnant, they'll be endowed with the same Graces. Is this true, or just superstitious? Thanks all!:D

[/quote]

Not sure where you heard this. It is superstitious, yes.

You don't mention whether or not your husband is Catholic, has any issues with you or the children being Catholic, etc. The priest must see a "well-founded" hope the child will be raised Catholic. So, getting to know you is the first step.

He is not catholic. But he has no issues with it. We've discussed it and he is fine with raising the child/ren as catholics.

Also, I heard an old wives tale - That if you wear a certain Saint's medal while pregnant, they'll be endowed with the same Graces. Is this true, or just superstitious? Thanks all!:D

[/quote]

Pregnant women often pray to St. Gerard of Majella for his intercession when they are pregnant and my friend keeps a supply of his medals on hand to give to her pregnant friend, but it's not a magical talisman.

I was told that my children will be baptized after I join the church. However, the priest will baptize us all on the same night. So my three children and myself will be baptized...and my husband and I will both be confirmed! Busy night for us!!

[quote="MeganKichler, post:3, topic:293951"]
He is not catholic. But he has no issues with it. We've discussed it and he is fine with raising the child/ren as catholics.

[/quote]

I can't speak for how other parishes would handle this, only mine. In similar situations -- one parent in RCIA and the other parent not a Catholic -- we have waited until the parent in RCIA is close to baptism or being received into the Church and then scheduled the child's baptism. We're looking for evidence that the child will be raised in the faith. Someone just starting RCIA has wonderful intentions, but things can get in the way as they continue in RCIA.

Since you're not pregnant yet, this probably won't be a problem. :-)

I heard an old wives tale - That if you wear a certain Saint's medal while pregnant, they'll be endowed with the same Graces. Is this true, or just superstitious?

[/quote]

You could pray for this, and use the medallion as a reminder of your intention. But the medallion itself has no magic to offer.

You could pray for this, and use the medallion as a reminder of your intention. But the medallion itself has no magic to offer.

that's what i thought. i wear medals as reminders of how i should be, but they were really adamant.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.