RCIA and confirmation

I am converting to Catholicism and know I will need to take RCIA but I haven’t been confirmed so will I be confirmed during the RCIA or what? If not then what if my church doesn’t have adult/older childrens confirmation class can I go to a different church to get confirmed? Do RCIA confirmations or adult confirmation classes have the saint name thing?

Much will depend on your local parish and the best way to find out that specific information is by calling them and asking.

That said, from what I understand, you have been baptized in another Christian tradition and now wish to become Catholic. Most likely, you will go through the RCIA process, although some parishes are lucky enough to have the resources to offer a program specifically for those in your situation. After a period of learning and reflection you will be received into the Church, be confirmed and receive your First Communion, all at one time.

As for saints names, that seems to be a local tradition and depending on where you are will determine whether or not it is optional, encouraged, or not mentioned at all.

It can vary Parish-to-Parish, so you should get in touch with your local Parish office and speak to the Priest (or to the adult education/RCIA director) about what needs to be done.

At many Parishes in the U.S., you would go through the RCIA program, which would prepare you to receive the Sacraments – including Confirmation. In my home Parish, adults who wish to become Catholic go through RCIA and are Baptized (if not Baptized already) and Confirmed at the Easter Vigil Mass. It’s all one combined process :wink: which makes it pretty easy to navigate.

You would choose a Saint’s name (typically) for your Confirmation, depending on local custom…but, again, in most U.S. Parishes that’s all tied-in with the RCIA process.

God bless you, and WELCOME HOME!

Excellent news, your wanting to be received into the Catholic Church!

Yes, upon completing RCIA classes, you will be confirmed at the Easter Vigil Mass and then receive 1st Eucharist.

Please, contact your local parish and ask to speak with their RCIA director.

Welcome to the journey home. There is lots to learn and it is exciting. I agree, make an appointment with your local priest and he will tell you about the process in that parish. Most people do get confirmed at the Easter vigil the night before Easter, but not always. Mine was on Christmas morning 2004.

If you want to start learning, check out the group listed in my signature. When you have questions just let me know.

Note that confirmations by other Faith Communities are not recognized as sacraments by the Catholic Church [There are a couple of exceptions - Orthodox and similar churches.] In general only Baptism and Matrimony are recognized as sacraments when received elsewhere.

I was a Methodist before converting in 1991. I went through the RCIA program and was formally accepted into the Catholic Church at Easter. I did not require to be baptised as the Church recognises the Methodist baptism as valid. However, confirmation was separate and took place months later. I have never heard of baptism and confirmation taking place at the same time.

I just went through RCIA this year. I was baptized Catholic but my parents switched to a Methodist church before I could receive communion or confirmation. At our parish our RCIA group included some adults who had never been baptized, some who had been baptized in other faiths, and then 3 of us who were already catholic but needed to receive the rest of the sacraments of initiation. At the Easter Vigil, the baptisms happened first. Then the non-Catholics joined the newly baptized at the front of the church for a profession of faith. Then the already Catholics came up to the front and we were all confirmed. After that, we all received Holy Communion. There were also two children of one of the converts who had been baptized in another faith who were also confirmed.

My two oldest boys will come into the church next Easter. They were baptized in the Methodist church, but our diocese requires 2 years of religious education for children. They will be in a kids version of RCIA next year, and then they will become Catholic and have their first Communion and confirmation next year. When they get to the age that the rest of their classmates will go through confirmation classes, my boys can still join in but will just receive a blessing from the bishop since they will have already been confirmed.

Hopefully you have misunderstood about the RCIA for kids. If the kids are over the age of 7ish, they should be baptized, confirmed, and receive first communion all at the same time, just like the adults.

No, they have already been baptized, so they will receive confirmation and first communion at next year’s Easter Vigil just like the adults. They will be 12 and 10 at that point. So after they are fully initiated into the church they will still continue their religious education with their peer groups so when they are the age that the cradle Catholics would go through confirmation classes, I’ve been told that they can still participate with everyone else even though they will have already been confirmed. When the bishop comes, those that have already been confirmed will just receive a special blessing instead. I don’t want them to think that they’re done with their religious education just because they came into the church as “adults”!

That’s interesting. It does vary place-to-place.

Here in the Arlington Diocese (Virginia, USA), at least at my Parish and those right around us, adults coming into the Church through RCIA are Baptized (if necessary), received into full communion with the Catholic Church, Confirmed, and receive their first Eucharist all at the Easter Vigil. Sometimes one or more of the Sacraments are delayed for some people if there are issues with previous marriages that have yet to be resolved or other impediments, but those are the minority case.

At this past Vigil, we had three adults Baptized, and those three plus another eight Confirmed. I had the great honor of standing as a proxy for one of the candidates (now Confirmed).

Greetings from another former Methodist! Like yours, my Baptism in the United Methodist Church was valid. I was welcomed into full communion and Confirmed at the 2009 Easter Vigil.

God bless you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.