RCIA candidate recv'ing Sacrament of Healing

Greetings! I have a theoretical question:

Imagine there is a person attending RCIA classes. She has no intention of becoming Catholic, she’s just taking the class in order to learn about Catholicism. She is unbaptized and (mostly) unchurched.

Our person is involved in a serious accident, and is brought to the hospital conscious, but In extremis. When she is brought to the hospital she asks to be baptized into the Catholic Church. The priest obliges after asking her some questions about the Creed, etc. to see how much she remembers of her RCIA instruction. The priest then administers the Sacrament of the Sick (fka “Last Rites”) which includes reception of the Eucharist. After surgery she makes a full recovery.

Since with her baptism and receiving the Sacrament of the Sick she is a full member of the Roman Catholic Church, can she continue to rec’v the sacraments even while she continues her RCIA studies ?

The person in question is no longer in RCIA. The person in question has now been initiated and is a Catholic.

Yup. It would probably be a good idea to finish the classes for her own edification (and to receive Confirmation), but she is a full-fledged Catholic and may now fully participate in the Sacramental life of the Church.

And there was no need for the priest to quiz her. If a person in a serious situation requests Christian Baptism, it can be administered on the basis of the request alone.

A person in danger of death who receives baptism also receives Confirmation. Therefore, the person would be fully initiated.

I agree with DavidFilmer’s first sentence. Even though she is now a full-fledged Catholic, that doesn’t change the fact that she doesn’t fully understand her new Catholic Faith. (I am thinking specifically about the Sacrament of Reconciliation.) I would say finish RCIA and additionally for her to join and become active in her parish. I always remember the quote, “You cannot love what you do not know”!

That’s exactly the way I came into the Church!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.