RCIA - or lack thereof

Greetings all,
There is no question as such in this post, I just felt like sharing something…I have recenty moved to a new area and I am also longing to become a Catholic - so naturally I emailed the parish priest about coming along to RCIA…
There isn’t one! It seems this parish is so small and Catholics a little thin on the ground that RCIA classes aren’t really in demand enough to warrant setting one up.
Consequently the priest has told me that he ‘prepares converts individually’. I’m quite pleased with that as I know I will be learning from the best person in the parish, and also I’m not good with classes - I tend to shrink to the back of the room and be quiet!
However, he did say that my first task was to settle in to a pattern of attending Mass every Sunday and Holy Day of Obligation - so I will pray that God helps me with my shyness on my first visit!
If you’ve read this far, thanks for listening!:thumbsup:
God Bless:heaven:

That sounds absolutely lovely! Don’t be afraid to ask questions, especially the ones you are afraid to ask-those are the ones that will lead you to deeper understanding.
Wishing you a wonderful journey of faith.

:slight_smile: That’s pretty special, RCIA with a priest instructor.

I’m an RCIA sponsor and we have a full time lay instructor with occassional instruction by our priests.

Welcome home & congratulations.

This was how my “RCIA” was conducted. I met with our parish priest every week from October through Easter. That was such a special time in my life. I’m actually getting teary as I reflect on how much I adored that priest, and how much I miss him now that he’s been transferred. Best wishes to you in your conversion process. :thumbsup:

I’m also from the UK and was at the same stage you are now several months ago. :slight_smile: I know how good it feels to finally know what direction you’ve been heading, good luck and very happy for you!

Luckily, I finally recognised the longing to become a Catholic 2 weeks before RCIA started :eek: I didn’t think it was a coincidence :wink: My parish is pretty big, theres a convent right opposite my Church which is one of the oldest in the UK with a pretty strong Catholic population - Sunday services are always busy!

The Priest and Deacon teach some of our session, but its mainly taught by our female Catechist and occasionally older members of the parish/Catholics who assist with RCIA each year. I assume they’re there to also be our sponsors if we don’t know anyone else.

[QUOT]E=ClairUK;7364226]Greetings all,
There is no question as such in this post, I just felt like sharing something…I have recenty moved to a new area and I am also longing to become a Catholic - so naturally I emailed the parish priest about coming along to RCIA…
There isn’t one! It seems this parish is so small and Catholics a little thin on the ground that RCIA classes aren’t really in demand enough to warrant setting one up.
Consequently the priest has told me that he ‘prepares converts individually’. I’m quite pleased with that as I know I will be learning from the best person in the parish, and also I’m not good with classes - I tend to shrink to the back of the room and be quiet!
However, he did say that my first task was to settle in to a pattern of attending Mass every Sunday and Holy Day of Obligation - so I will pray that God helps me with my shyness on my first visit!
If you’ve read this far, thanks for listening!:thumbsup:
God Bless:heaven:

Isn’t it amazing how God addresses our Spiritual needs!

Having taught RCIA for three years I share a few “heads up tips”.
Attrending a Catholic Mass is not much like most [maybe all?] Protestant services fro several very GOOD reasons.

The CENTER of Ctholic Worship revolves around the “re-presenation” [not represenation] but making th Miracle of Christ Himself in Person; time and time again. Mass i first and foremost a recreation of the Sacrifice of Christ on Calvary [NOW IN AN UNBLOODY MANNER]. The Masis God focused Worship, which can sem to ignore those in the pews.

This is often dificult for those converting and accustomed to a GREAT degree of fellowship.
Catholic Fellowship exist, but outside of the Mass.

The Gift of Jesus Himself is reservered to ONLY those who have been properly instructed and have already become full members of the CC.

Mass is Universal which is what the word “Catholic” stands for. It is pretty much the same everywhere one goes. One can encounter good preachers nd not so good preachers; becaue we are Fed Christ Himself; not soley His Divine Word.

The practice of ones Catholic Faith is sometimes seen as more private or personal than communial, One should be aware of this. Our Divine Worship ought to be God Focused.

Lastly, I strongly encourage you not to be bashful:blush: Our Tradition and Teachings go back some 2,000 years and many Doctrines and Dogma’s are difficult to comprehend [which is why it’s called practicing one’s FAITH!] But ask alot of qustions. We ought to be able to explain the WHY’s that go along with the WHATS.

Pray daily for the Gifts of Faith which include, God’s Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding.

I’m adding you to my personal daily prayer list.

God’s continued Blessings,
Pat

Thankyou all for your responses, congratulations and advice:) The closer it comes to Sunday the more I look forward to starting my journey!
I am encouraged by the fact it is more personal than communal - I’m not very good at putting my feelings into words but this just ‘feels’ like it is meant to be this way - God focused feels exactly right…I have been to other services, both C of E and AoG and I felt that something just wasn’t right in the way the communion was given, let alone their teachings…they were all lovely people but…well, you get my meaning…
I understand that I will not be able to partake in the Eucharist - but I am wondering what the best thing is for me to do the first time I go. I will be on my own and will not know anyone there - should I just stand/sit at the back and observe? Do I join in with the prayers and such? I presume the priest will speak to me afterwards…and I’m fairly confident one helpful friendly soul will let me sit with them:shrug:
Thanks again - I look forward to sharing my experiences with you all!
God bless:heaven:

=ClairUK;7366232]Thankyou all for your responses, congratulations and advice:) The closer it comes to Sunday the more I look forward to starting my journey!
I am encouraged by the fact it is more personal than communal - I’m not very good at putting my feelings into words but this just ‘feels’ like it is meant to be this way - God focused feels exactly right…I have been to other services, both C of E and AoG and I felt that something just wasn’t right in the way the communion was given, let alone their teachings…they were all lovely people but…well, you get my meaning…
I understand that I will not be able to partake in the Eucharist - but I am wondering what the best thing is for me to do the first time I go. I will be on my own and will not know anyone there - should I just stand/sit at the back and observe? Do I join in with the prayers and such? I presume the priest will speak to me afterwards…and I’m fairly confident one helpful friendly soul will let me sit with them:shrug:
Thanks again - I look forward to sharing my experiences with you all!
God bless:heaven:

It has become a common practice [BUT NOT specifically approved by Rome] to permit those not actually receiving Holy Comunion to "cross your arms over your chest and receiving a “blessing”. IF you choose to do this I SUGGEST you sit where the line goes to the PRIEST, not a Lay person.

You may then process up to the front like everyone else. BUT be sure to keep your arms crossed until after the blessing and your mouth closed:)

Because of the changing positions employed at Mass: standing, kneeling and sitting at different times; I’d encourage you to be sure to sit with enough people in front of you so that you can mimic there actions.

May God continue to GUIDE your Journey HOME:thumbsup:

Love and prayers,
Pat

Simply ask an Usher when you enter where you ought to sit. Ask “on which side does the priest distribute Holy Communion?”

Your post made me smile. You sound so joyous and eager to begin your journey. Hope to see you along the way. God bless you.

It is not only NOT approved by Rome but it is absolutely frowned upon.
The Communion line is exclusively for those going up to receive. Others who for various reasons cannot receive must sit in the pews and not go forward.

Don’t be surprised if Catholics disagree with one another. There is much to learn for all of us. God bless.

I shall probably be my shrinking violet self and just sit at the back til I’m told otherwise;)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.