RCIA Question - Timing

I am a Protestant who is in the process of becoming Catholic. First post, by the way!

My local church has RCIA classes starting in June, but I thought RCIA typically begins around the start of Lent, with confirmation on Easter.

First communion for our class will be December 4th, 2011.

It seems like this is less special than receiving first communion on Easter Sunday.

Can anyone comment on the timing? Maybe I just don’t understand the RCIA process fully.

Thank you,

Michael

RCIA typically starts in the fall and runs through Easter. I received communion at Easter Vigil, however receiving earlier is an option if the priest agrees. I would have loved to receive communion before Easter. It sounds as if your parish might be non typical, not wrong, just doing things a little differently.
Welcome to the journey home! I am also a convert and love the Catholic Church, couldn’t imagine being anywhere else.
God Bless your journey!

The RCIA is meant to be a year-round process marked by various rites at different times of the year for those ready to take those steps at those times. Some rites are meant to take place during Lent but those are mainly for the catechumen, those who will be baptized at Easter if they are ready. Starting in September and ‘graduating’ at Easter is not the way it’s supposed to be. Unfortunately most parishes do function with that school year model.

Ideally, the Easter Vigil is reserved for those who are being baptized but baptized Christians can be received into full communion at any time. Article 387 of the Canadian Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults says of “Reception of Baptized Christians in the full communion of the Catholic Church” *This is the liturgical rite by which a person born and baptized in a separated ecclesial Community is received, according to the Latin rite, into the full communion of the Catholic Church. The rite is so arranged that no greater burden than necessary (see Acts 15:28) is required for the establisment of communion and unity. *

“Ideally, the Easter Vigil is reserved for those who are being baptized but baptized Christians can be received into full communion at any time. Article 387 of the Canadian Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults says of “Reception of Baptized Christians in the full communion of the Catholic Church” This is the liturgical rite by which a person born and baptized in a separated ecclesial Community is received, according to the Latin rite, into the full communion of the Catholic Church. The rite is so arranged that no greater burden than necessary (see Acts 15:28) is required for the establisment of communion and unity.”

I’m away from home on vacation and thus without access to my RCIA manual but I know from memory that the US version says pretty much, if not exactly, the same thing. I assume then that the December date you mention is only for those who have already been baptized.

The baptism of catechumens (those not yet baptized) is to take place at the Easter vigil and, as I recall, the Rite stipulates that they are to receive First Eucharist and also Confirmation at this time.

And not to worry, receiving the Eucharist for the first time will always be a very special and most memorable occasion for you, whenever it occurs. God bless.

Isn’t it great that you will be able to receive communion this Christmas!

depends on the parish and the needs of the particular group of candidates and catechumens each year.
we have year round RCIA and adult Confirmation preparation, you can start any time, you jump on the merrygoround and go around until it is time to jump off. You are ready when you are ready.
The bishop sets the date for adult confirmation, other than that, when baptized candidates are ready for first confession and communion they are ready, and continue in formation until the confirmation date rolls around. Catechumens (the unbaptized) should, as the Rite envisions, participate for no less than one entire liturgical year (Lent to the following Easter Vigil where they receive all 3 sacraments of initiation, followed by no less than 50 days of mystagogy).

ask the director or pastor about your own personal situation, schedule, needs etc.

welcome home!
why don’t we have a welcome home smilie?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.