RCIA question

My grandmother is going to go ask our Priest about enrolling me in RCIA, and to be honest, I am quite nervous. I am a shy person, and I don’t know if I’d feel comfortable in talking in front of people who are strangers. I also don’t know what to expect in RCIA. If you guys could help me out, then my nervousness might die down. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, at RCIA, do they give you a Bible (to keep)? And do they give you any other books for study as well. such as the Catechism of the Catholic Church? By the way, I live in Canada, so I don’t know if things are different here then say, the United States.

Thank you and God bless you all!

RCIA is different everywhere.

Some follow books, some listen to tapes, some have lectures.

The New American Bible is available on The Vatican’s website. As is the catechism.

Everyone has different needs and backgrounds. A Protestant convert is going to have different questions than a Jewish convert. A former atheist will have different needs as we’ll

l personally found the Baltimore Catechism to be easy to comprehend. I found a Kindle version for free with the free Kindle app for PC.

Catholic Answers Live podcasts were helpful as well.

You might want to discuss with the priest about being uncomfortable speaking in front of others. Ask what materials will be used for R.C.I.A. to better prepare yourself.

If she does enrol you, make sure you get a chance to speak to the priest privately first and he can then be aware of how you are feeling. He may try and help you to feel more comfortable in groups because by asking you a few questions that you can answer with yes or no type answers to get you used to talking in groups because sometimes we need that helping hand and once we got over it, it not so bad. It just that fear and once we are over that fear he may well get the best public speaker he ever met from you but it that first couple of times isn’t it and everyone is nervous at first when joining a new group. But contact him yourself and ask for time with him for a chat about it all and you can ask the questions you have asked here to him and he can tell you what he does. Don’t worry, he be used to different people and work with you too. Tell him exactly what you said here over the phone and he will go with the flow with you and hopefully, you’ll be soon posting how good that was:D

Usually RCIA classes are pretty casual.

All in all, I think it would be good for you to get used to talking in front of strangers. Life is full of strangers, but some of these strangers end up becoming true friends, but if we can't calmly talk with them, we never get to have their friendship or give them our friendship.

Well, Merry Christmas in Canada!

It’s different everywhere indeed, but usually it’s not the sort of environment in which one gets to talk to others. Usually we go there to learn the basics of the Catechism in order to be prepared for the Sacraments, and we are supposed to do our own reading :wink: While the Compendium (at least) should be a must, there are good RCIA textbooks out there.

Often there is a small exam at the end of RCIA, but not always :shrug:

Finally, in the end the class may practice for the Mass in order to know what to do and when :slight_smile:

I am so excited for you, you have no idea just how much I love RCIA per se simply because I remember my own experience, and just how amazing that once-in-a-lifetime Mass felt. When the Bishop and the priests laid their hands on us…that was the one moment I’ll never forget.

Also do be patient…often RCIA is not as good as it should be :shrug: They say first impressions are the ones that last, so don’t think that what you see in RCIA is a good first impression of the Church :shrug: Like a college class, whether or not the professor is a top MIT researcher or a less-than-unfriendly guy you wished you had never met, in the end it boils down to your effort into learning about the Church and the Sacraments.

Remember the words of Christ to us:

You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again?

Make the best use of the RCIA time, because the rest of your life you will wish that you had learned more and more about the Church and the Sacraments when you had the chance, especially when it comes to evangelizing (and to the new evangelization of our brothers in the Church) or to defending the faith.

You list your religion as Catholic. If you’re already Catholic, why do you need RCIA?

Also, at RCIA, do they give you a Bible (to keep)? And do they give you any other books for study as well. such as the Catechism of the Catholic Church? By the way, I live in Canada, so I don’t know if things are different here then say, the United States.

It depends on the parish. You may get one, or both, or something else, or nothing.

I was baptized Catholic when I was three months old. But I have never went through confirmation or any other sacraments.

We get what seems to me to be a large number of people in your situation. You probably won’t be the only one in RCIA who was baptized Catholic.

RCIA really does vary.

At my paticular church, it is done through lectures, Q&A with the whole group and lecture-er, then small group discussion. Of course, no one has to talk if they don’t want to. :slight_smile: There are also mandatory meetings with the RE leader (or priest) 2 or 3 times for any private questions and to make sure you understand what you are undertaking :slight_smile:

I have been helping teach RCIA at my parish for about 6 years, and almost every new session we will have at least one person who is very shy. It is nice to see them open up with the other candidates over time. So don’t let being shy hinder your enrollment and participation in RCIA.

As for materials, every parish’s RCIA class is different. There are no set guidelines. Our parish provides a paperback Bible and a yearly missal (in which we study the Sunday Mass readings). The CCC is online. Also Advent-Christmas prayer books, handouts for reconciliation, etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.