Rcia scrutinies?

My rcia teacher told me I was going to go through some scutinies (hope im spelling that right) during Lent. What is this and what happens? Do i get up in front of people. How long? What will i say? Will i have to answer quetions? Also is there some sort of test at the end of rcia? Thanks :)

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:1, topic:310528"]
My rcia teacher told me I was going to go through some scutinies (hope im spelling that right) during Lent. What is this and what happens? Do i get up in front of people. How long? What will i say? Will i have to answer quetions? Also is there some sort of test at the end of rcia? Thanks :)

[/quote]

You and your sponsor (and all the other elect and their sponsors) will stand before the priest. The congregation will be asked to pray for you in silence and then you will be invited to bow your heads (and perhaps kneel) and pray in silence.

Then there will be prayers of the faithful for you.

Then the priest will say prayers over you and perhaps lay hands on you.

Ok…is that all? Also I am the only person in Rcia in my parish

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:3, topic:310528"]
Ok...is that all? Also I am the only person in Rcia in my parish

[/quote]

Yes, that's all. I've seen it only once in my parish when we had a 10 year old preparing for Baptism (her sponsor was her great-grandmother).

The Scrutinies are done on the Third, Fourth and Fifth Sunday of Lent. It is done right after the Readings and the Homily and before you are dismissed for the breaking open of the Word (if you are being dismissed, something they don't do in all parishes).

As for a test, I think your teacher and your sponsor know if you're ready for Baptism. Our young catechumen didn't have a formal test; the Sister who'd been working with her for 16 months knew that she understood what Christianity and the Catholic Church were about and was ready to take that step.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.